• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

John Moreland has released a couple of singles in support of his upcoming album, LP5, due in February. One of my favorite songwriters who also puts on a captivating live show.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/ente...0191218-isfrg7yomjet5huq3dsnetgsxu-story.html

10. Jeff Lescher, “All is Grace” (Kunaki): As the leader of Green, Lescher made a series of extraordinary albums that never made much of a dent beyond a devoted cult following. A decade after Green’s last album, “The Planets,” Lescher returns with his debut solo album, a collection of 20 songs from a career that stretches back to the ‘80s. As with all things Lescher, there are some ramshackle moments, but the high points turn this into a mini-history of the singer’s diverse tastes and influences: the Kinks-like splendor of “Maybe Someday,” the glam stomp of “Can’t Do it Without You,” the country-soul of “You Make Life Sweet,” the wan, almost desperate optimism of the staggering, densely orchestrated “I Might Shine Again.”

props to my buddy and bandmate Jeff on making this list! I didn't play on the record cuz he played all the instruments but I'm drumming on the gigs

I rate Watchmen 10/10 with no consideration to the musical score. Factoring in Atticus Ross + Trent's contribution earns a rating of ∞/10. Their soundtrack is on Spotify and worth checking out.

Not from Watchmen but here's a collab with Karen O for Immigrant Song

Last show of the year tonight - Circles Around the Sun featuring Scott Metzgar (JRAD) on guitar. Wish it were Neal; hate that he felt there was no other way.

Still trying to figure out if I dig this Richard Dawson cat or not.

I do like Omni, though.

Last show of the year tonight - Circles Around the Sun featuring Scott Metzgar (JRAD) on guitar. Wish it were Neal; hate that he felt there was no other way.

CATS killed it on 12/30 - really enjoyed seeing Scott Metzgar play so I might try to see him again with JRAD this summer. It will be interesting to see how CATS can keep touring and building sets without a full-time guitar player. I think they only played 8 songs or so over the 2 hours they played (including encore). They sounded great, brought a ton of energy, and had a killer light show. Overall, glad I went and I would totally see them again, especially with Scott on lead guitar.

Last edited:
New Field Music! Happy Field Music release day! YESSSS. All about the repercussions of the end of World War I. They are the best. Best band in the world.

Took my kid's to another production by "The Rock n Roll Playhouse." This past weekend was The Music of the Beatles for Kids; back in January we did Grateful Dead for Kids. I can't speak highly enough of our experience. The bands have been good (Beatles cover band) to great (GD trio was a legit all star band), both in terms of song selection/setlist as well as the quality of the performance. The shows are right at an hour long, the sound is turned down for the kids and the staff does a great job leading dances, handing streamers to the kids, pulling out a parachute to dance under - these shows are an absolutely blast and I'm grateful to be able to expose my kids to live music through a kid-friendly show. They play in something like 20 cities across the country - highly recommend you check them out if you're a music loving parent with children.

That sounds pretty cool leftcoast.

Monster feature on Bejar in P-Fork today. I love Bejar.

Across the last 30 years, Bejar has hoovered the poetry of Baudelaire, Langston Hughes, and Jim Carroll; the entire catalogs of mercurial icons like Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison; and the arthouse films of Jean Renoir, Wim Wenders, and François Truffaut. Given such heady source material, it’s unsurprising that his impressionistic lyricism has left some people a bit perplexed. Even Laura Ballance, co-founder of Merge Records, the label that’s put out seven Destroyer albums over the last 18 years, diplomatically admits, “It is always clear to me that he uses a lot of words, but it’s difficult to figure out what he’s talking about.”

https://pitchfork.com/features/profile/destroyer-dan-bejar-have-we-met-interview/

Last edited:
Cool program this group put on. A friend is the executive director, full disclosure, but it is legit -- no conflicts of interest! (well, maybe a little). Anyway, Takemitsu, Shostakovich 14 (a cool, weird, song cycle about death, dedicated to Benjamin Britten), and a Mahler 5 excerpt. I think it'll be up until tomorrow at least, but if you're looking for something different...

seeing Black Keys tonight. I don't have any of their records only heard them on the radio but looking forward to the legendary Aragon Ballroom and good times in the city with pals

Back