• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

USMNT for 2018 WC

Now all I want to do is look ahead to our 2016 Olympic team. Here's a list of player who are eligible and have been capped at the youth levels and/or have some buzz.

GK: Cropper
DEF: Brooks, Yedlin, Acosta, Packwood, O'Neill
MID: Arriola, J.Flores, Gil, Green, Pelosi, Trapp, Zelalem
FWD: Salgado, Haji Wright, McBean, Villarreal

So a lot of questions. At this point I assume that Brooks, Yedlin, Gil and Green are locks. I could maybe see us using one of our three overage spots on Howard at GK as sort of farewell gesture, as he's never played in the Olympics. At that point I'd assume that he would be Guzan's backup.

Agree with the idea of sending Howard to the Olympics and letting Guzan do Copa 2016.

Agudelo will be 23 during the Summer Olympics so I'd think he would be on the squad or is it only limited to players born in 1993 or later?

This surprises me a lot. Is there any particular reason why?

Guzan is an awesome keeper, a big part of the reason that dour Aston Villa didn't get relegated either of the past two seasons.

Agree with the idea of sending Howard to the Olympics and letting Guzan do Copa 2016.

Agudelo will be 23 during the Summer Olympics so I'd think he would be on the squad or is it only limited to players born in 1993 or later?

Under age by the time qualifying starts means you are eligible for the tournament, so Agudelo would be good, I believe. To play in the tournament, not that he is a good player. He isn't.

Guzan is an awesome keeper, a big part of the reason that dour Aston Villa didn't get relegated either of the past two seasons.

I was referring to Howard never playing in an Olympics, but based on the comments afterwards, I assume that Olympic soccer is a U-23 event?

Oh, yeah. Olympics are a U23 event with 3 spots allowed to be filled by guys over 23.

Under age by the time qualifying starts means you are eligible for the tournament, so Agudelo would be good, I believe. To play in the tournament, not that he is a good player. He isn't.

He's obviously not world class, but he's damn well good enough for the U-23 team and good enough that a Premier League team(Stoke?) put up a fuss when he got denied a work permit.

He was fringe to make this WC roster. He is a lock for the Olympics

Quite a few posters on here were dead wrong about this kid and his inclusion in this World Cup

[video=vimeo;99741936]http://vimeo.com/99741936[/video]

I hope we get an easy group in 2018.

The goal scored by the sub last night was in my opinion a great example why we didn't bring Donovan. We weren't going to win this world cup. Why not get the younger guys some experience. We need a rebirth of US soccer before we're going much farther than we did this year.

I hope we get an easy group in 2018.

The goal scored by the sub last night was in my opinion a great example why we didn't bring Donovan. We weren't going to win this world cup. Why not get the younger guys some experience. We need a rebirth of US soccer before we're going much farther than we did this year.

We're not going to win 2018 World Cup either? Why not just play the 11-15 year olds for 2026? I hate that logic. If you don't think that Donovan couldn't have offered more yesterday than Zusi, Bedoya, or Wondo then I don't know what else to say.

Oh I forgot about the Olympics also being in the Summer of 2016 as well. Strong chance we get split squads and some of the older vets hang around for Copa 2016. Which probably means we won't win either competition. Womp. Womp.

We should send our A squad and go all out for Copa 2016. That's a major tournament and we should treat it like one. Screw the Olympics, send a U19 squad for all I care

what are the chances of having Zelalam join the team?

I can't speak to this kid specifically, but I think Green is a great example of the kind of kid we need to target for nationalization. And if that means a handshake promise from Jurgen that you'll be taken in the 23 for the World Cup (given fitness/form), I'm ok with it, even if it means forcing some vets out, or it means temporarily weakening the squad. The more young potential superstars we can get to nationalize, the better, plain and simple.

We do still have to qualify for the Olympics. Something we failed to do in 2012. CONCACAF only gets 2.5 spots with the .5 being a playoff against the 2nd place South American team. Didn't even get out of a group with Canada, El Salvador and Cuba.

SALVADOR, Brazil -- "We don't mind looking stupid."

That knowing qualifier was the opening sentence of our very first Brazil Board way back on March 30, 2011. Which was good, because through the 15 subsequent incarnations in the three-plus years since our maiden attempt to predict the U.S. national team's starting lineup for the 2014 World Cup, we were plenty wrong plenty of the time.

As we knew we would be.

Three years is an eternity in international soccer, so the fact that eight of the players named to Jurgen Klinsmann's final 23-man roster -- Jozy Altidore, Michael Bradley, Timmy Chandler, Clint Dempsey, Mix Diskerud, Omar Gonzalez, Brad Guzan and Tim Howard -- were all part of Brazil Board 1.0, should be considered a triumph.

That's not to say some of the picks weren't cringe-worthy. Guys like Gale Agbossoumonde, Amobi Okugo and Ike Opara, who have since revealed themselves as average MLSers at best, were among the eight players who appeared just once.

Still, a look back at the evolution of the Brazil Board from then until now, the day the Yanks were eliminated here in Salvador, provides a fascinating glimpse into how the U.S. program has changed since we took that first crack, which came after a Bob Bradley-led squad lost 1-0 to Paraguay in an otherwise forgettable friendly match in Nashville, Tennessee.

Who could have predicted then that the German-American Chandler, who was coming off his first two games for the Yanks, would hedge on playing for the U.S. several times on the way to Brazil? How could we have known that other dual nationals like John Brooks, Aron Johannsson and Julian Green -- who was just 15 years old when that first Brazil Board debuted -- would come out of nowhere to cast their lot with the Yanks (with both Brooks and Green netting goals in Brazil)? And who would have guessed that a 32-year-old Landon Donovan, whom we left off just one Board during his much discussed (and in the end, costly) 2013 sabbatical, would be kept off the final 23-man roster?

As time went on, though, things came into clearer focus. Sixteen of the final 23 had debuted on the board by October 2012. Five months later, all 11 projected starters had appeared. In the end, 62 players were listed in at least one edition and only four (Altidore, Bradley, Dempsey and Howard) appeared in all 16. It's no coincidence that that quartet, along with Jermaine Jones, make up what Klinsmann often refers to as the spine of his team. Meanwhile, fellow vets Donovan (11) and Clarence Goodson (10) appeared in the most editions without making it. Two others, Brad Davis and DeAndre Yedlin, didn't make one pre-cut version, yet both played roles here in Brazil.

It wasn't just about the players -- formations came and went, too. There was coach Bradley's "empty bucket" 4-4-2, the attacking 4-3-3 Klinsmann used after replacing Bradley in July of 2011, the pragmatic 4-2-3-1 the German switched to during World Cup qualifying and the various sets he employed during the Yanks' run in Brazil.

Indeed, change has been the only constant. Expect even more of it next time around, as now that this tournament has ended for the Americans, the process will be begin anew. We can't tell you what it will look like yet. But because our road to Russia will begin almost a year earlier than the ride toward Brazil, the one thing you can be certain of is that more stupidity awaits.

Here's our first projection -- a long-range one at that -- of the U.S. national team's formation and starting lineup for the 2018 World Cup in Russia:

Altidore Johannsen
Diskerud
Green Yedlin
Bradley
Chandler Besler Gonzalez Johnson

RESERVES POS.
Terrence Boyd F
Juan Agudelo F
Luis Gil MF
Gedion Zelalem MF
Graham Zusi MF
Danny Williams MF