• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah asks commit to be released from scholly obligation

DeacAlum2001

Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highs...lifornia-player-growth-related-185529935.html

Utah basketball has asked a player who committed early to be released from the scholarship obligation. Apparently the player, Josh Hearlihy, had some rapid growth spurts that caused some health problems this season and Utah now wants out of the scholarship. Not sure if it's because of health concerns or just because of his poor play. The player is now facing the issue of either going to Utah and not being wanted, trying to find another scholly when most of them are now gone, or going to prep school for a year.

This seems like a pretty crappy move on Utah's part and I imagine it will hurt them in future recruiting. Other schools will definitely use this against them. However, if there are health concerns for the future (the article is unclear about this) I can see Utah's side a little. That is one of the risks with early commitment, though.

Well, if they cause health problems that keep you off the floor, then yea.

Still, seems kinda low.

6'7"....won't do us any good. Go to Prep school, hopefully your growth spurt continues and next season at this time you'll be 6'11" and ready to be a Deac.

He could say no, take the scholarship, and redshirt; see where he his health wise (and relationship-wise w/coaches) in a year, then think about transferring.

He could say no, take the scholarship, and redshirt; see where he his health wise (and relationship-wise w/coaches) in a year, then think about transferring.

Seems like this would be the best way to go for both parties.

I'm not so sure about this. I don't know what the coaching staff at Utah is like, but if they don't want him he might not treated very well if he decides to force them to honor the scholly. He could end up wasting a year of eligibility and not getting any benefit if they decide to ignore him or just make life miserable for him. I realize the redshirt would save the eligibility but only if they let him redshirt. It still costs them a roster spot and scholarship for that year so they might not let it happen. Also, even if he redshirts won't he still be required to sit out a year if he transfers? That is a lost year of eligibility.

Depending on his family's financial situation, I think the prep school route would be best. He could adjust to the increased size, continue to build some bulk, and market himself out to other programs that won't be dicks about their commitments. If prep school isn't an option because of size, then maybe juco for a year. He still loses a year of eligibility but won't be in a situation where he's not wanted and all the negative stuff that could result from that (being ignored/abused, team cohesion issues, etc). Of course both of these situations allow Utah to get what they want without any consequence, which I don't like.

Back