• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UVa Moving Closer to CWS Title

80deac

Reaction score
UVa has had a fairly easy route to the final. Vanderbilt is good but no other ranked team was in the mix but UVa....good chance they end our ACC record.

UVa has had a fairly easy route to the final. Vanderbilt is good but no other ranked team was in the mix but UVa....good chance they end our ACC record.

You play who is in front of you. No more, no less. I don't think they will put a sidenote on the trophy as to who all got defeated along the way. The champion will say either UVa or Vandy and either one will be a first time champion and a worthy champion.

Not a big UVA fan, but I freely admit they do a nice job with their Olympic sports, and they play by the rules better than most.

I hope UVA wins.
Also interesting that the 2 final teams are both respected for academics.

Not a big UVA fan, but I freely admit they do a nice job with their Olympic sports, and they play by the rules better than most.

With Tony Bennett it looks like they are going to be doing a nice job with men's basketball. They also have some of the nicest facilities in the country for all sports.

Vanderbilt is a master at "small ball". UCLA won last year playing similar. Omaha takes away the long ball.

I' m expecting games like 3-2.

I hope UVA wins.

Yep- two Top 20 USN&WR schools going at it on the diamond for the CWS Title. It can be done. :thumbsup:

By the way, during the UVA-Vandy CWS Series, expect that Wake gets mentioned as the only school having taken a series against UVA in two seasons and once again as the 1955 Champ. We'll take what little good pub that we can get at this point!

Especially when its athletes aren't murdering one other.

I hope UVA wins.

Even more interesting given that one of them is private since a lot of the talk about Wake's failures have been due to scholarship limits as a private school.

Virginia and Vandy both do what Wake could do with commitment to baseball. Each use academic money to create less financial costs for baseball players. I bet both Virginia and Vandy end up with nearly 20-25 full scholarships in baseball. Completely within the rules in minor sports. Thus is reason for the deep pitching staffs at both schools. Very few on their rosters pay much in tuition. Tuition is covered with baseball money (11.7 scholarships) and added academic aid. We could do the same if baseball was important to the school and if we had a larger endowment. Duke in on the same trail as Virginia and Vandy.

Virginia and Vandy both do what Wake could do with commitment to baseball. Each use academic money to create less financial costs for baseball players. I bet both Virginia and Vandy end up with nearly 20-25 full scholarships in baseball. Completely within the rules in minor sports. Thus is reason for the deep pitching staffs at both schools. Very few on their rosters pay much in tuition. Tuition is covered with baseball money (11.7 scholarships) and added academic aid. We could do the same if baseball was important to the school and if we had a larger endowment. Duke in on the same trail as Virginia and Vandy.
I was told Ole Miss is doing this--decided they couldn't win the SEC in football and started putting big $$ in baseball.

We don't need a bigger endowment to do that. Ron "Facilities" Wellman just decided it made more sense to spend millions upgrading a way too big baseball facility. Basically, a preview of what we'll be seeing with the basketball program.

UVA on the ropes now with the disastrous 9 run inning.

The 1955 Wake team looking to pop the corks tonight and survive another year as the ACC's lone baseball Champs.

We don't need a bigger endowment to do that. Ron "Facilities" Wellman just decided it made more sense to spend millions upgrading a way too big baseball facility. Basically, a preview of what we'll be seeing with the basketball program.

Sounds like you've not seen the renderings of planned remodeling to the baseball stadium that will result in about 1,000 fewer seats down each base line. Gonna look nice.

AIR, the plan for Joel among other things calls for about 800 less seats. Both venues were purchased for basically peanuts versus alternatives.

Sounds like you've not seen the renderings of planned remodeling to the baseball stadium that will result in about 1,000 fewer seats down each base line. Gonna look nice.

AIR, the plan for Joel among other things calls for about 800 less seats. Both venues were purchased for basically peanuts versus alternatives.

Oh good, so now it will only have 2000 too many seats instead of 3000. #progress.

Back