• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UVerse or Time Warner Cable in Winston-Salem

AbeFroman

Reaction score
Moving to Winston-Salem and can't do Directv at our new house due to big trees blocking satellite signal. Other options seem to be AT&T Uverse or Time Warner Cable. Any preferences or recommendations?

Cut down the trees. Avoid TWC like the plague (but be nice to RTQ).

Can't vouch for TWC, but having just moved to NC we did Uverse, and not sure if I'd recommend it. I was pretty happy to be leaving Comcast, but would take them back in a heartbeat. Better channel lineup, faster internet, better OnDemand, better(!) customer service, etc.

I've been a Directv customer for 15 years so it kills me to not be able to get it. Probably wouldn't have bought this house had I known.

I have gigabit service with UVerse and it's awesome. I also like their TV setup more than TWC.

TWC for the sports package/NFL Redzone/ NFL Network....Pray you don't have to deal with customer service on a regular basis. I've haggled my TWC bill down to $180 while receiving high speed internet, cable, showtime, sports package, 3 cable boxes with DVR on the main one.

Would love to be able to have all of those services for that price and not be using TWC...just haven't figured out how yet.

We just moved from Southside Winston out toward Wallburg and switched from 200Mbps TWC to 18Mbps U-verse. No issues at all with streaming music or shows, and by bundling it with DirecTV, we're basically getting internet for free for 2 years.

As stated above- get an arborist, put up a dish, call AT&T, relax and save.

These threads always make me upset that everyone is a better TWC haggler than I am. I do my very best once a year to talk those fuckers down, and I still don't get the good shit people post about on here. I had to bundle the stupid phone in this year just to keep it under 200, and I've got the regular internet and only 1 DVR, and NO REDZONE 😖😢😤

These threads always make me upset that everyone is a better TWC haggler than I am. I do my very best once a year to talk those fuckers down, and I still don't get the good shit people post about on here. I had to bundle the stupid phone in this year just to keep it under 200, and I've got the regular internet and only 1 DVR, and NO REDZONE ������

Bro- you have to call them sometime all pissed off and say you're switching your service unless they add redzone to your weak package.

I am pretty certain with Uverse and Direct TV merging, they are going to stop making new uverse tv boxes and start phasing them out while pushing more people to Direct TV.

These threads always make me upset that everyone is a better TWC haggler than I am. I do my very best once a year to talk those fuckers down, and I still don't get the good shit people post about on here. I had to bundle the stupid phone in this year just to keep it under 200, and I've got the regular internet and only 1 DVR, and NO REDZONE ������

You have to be willing to tell them they can come pick their shit up on your front porch if they won't negotiate. You're not dealing with nice, ethical or good people. It's essentially a fucking legalized mafia.

I couldn't get anything from TWC until I actually DID leave them for DirecTV. Only then did they want to negotiate, but it was too late. They called three times. I got to laugh in their face, which was satisfying. You gotta practically be out the door before they'll talk.

You have to be willing to tell them they can come pick their shit up on your front porch if they won't negotiate. You're not dealing with nice, ethical or good people. It's essentially a fucking legalized mafia.

This is the only proven method to work

I actually found TWC's cable and on-demand offerings affordable and decent (especially being able to get Red Zone/Goalline on the cheap). But to acquire cable, they try to box you into (no pun intended) useless bundles, or nickel and dime you with equipment and/or rental fees. There are ways around the latter, at least.

But their customer service is fucking atrocious. I can't remember the number of times they've 'mistakenly' charged me for shit. And once you're on the phone with them, for any reason, just expect to lose at least an hour of your life. Plus, you'll be directed at least four different directions before anyone can resolve anything.

Now, I just have TWC for internet (it's my only option) - it gets the job done, and hopefully I'll never have to talk to anyone again until I move. I've paired that with DirecTV which is good, especially with all the new member discounts, but we'll see how I feel after the honeymoon.

Last edited:
My promotional rate with U-Verse is coming up next month and I called to ask what my options were but they can't do anything until the rate actually expires.

My promotional rate with U-Verse is coming up next month and I called to ask what my options were but they can't do anything until the rate actually expires.

Be set for a big rate hike

I can't even count the number of times with both TWC and Comcast where they have no record of previous calls or anything in the notes despite always asking the previous representative to read back to me what was in the notes section. TWC is the worst customer service I've ever dealt with anywhere. The reps are almost to a T totally incompetent

Back