• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VA TECH LAST PLAY- WHY NOT DISH TO MCKIE FOR A LAYUP?

Wake teams before Bzz would have won handily yesterday. We did not look great and we did not do what we had to do to win. I disagree that setting up a game-determining play for a stone-cold shooter was a solid coaching call. CJ missed all day. Who was surprised to see him miss that last shot? Not me.

We've had a few competitive games since conference play started, but the meat of the season is ahead. I dread it.

Of course it was the absolute right play. I was calling for it before it happened - give CJ the ball and let him drive the basket for a score or a foul - with the chance for a tip-in. He is a great foul shooter and typically great at drawing fouls. I forgot about the cowardly tendency of officials to swallow their whistles in end game situations. That was clearly a foul at any other point during the game!

The play call was great and executed exactly as planned. Spread the floor with shooters, leaving CJ isolated with a defender, and go to the basket. He got a layup, and almost a dunk. Then the follow was another layup. And CJ might have gotten fouled, putting one of the best clutch free throw shooters around on the line. I don't see how anyone complains about that. 99 times out of 100, either CJ makes the shot, makes FT's, or Cav makes the follow. Sucks it just didnt go down this time. If Devin is in the game, his defender stands in the lane waiting for CJ. It would have been crazy to have Devin in the game at that time, not to mention his FT problems. That was painful, no doubt.

We played well for about 30 minutes, but a couple stretches really hurt. Mostly when Chase was in the game. If he isn't a scoring machine, he can't be on the court with his defensive and rebounding liabilites. We are almost a third of the way into the ACC season, and Chase hasn't had a big scoring game yet, and I think has more airball 3's than makes in the last 2 weeks. I wish he would start hitting, but he is really hurting us and doesn't seem to be quick enough or athletic enough to get many clean looks. And he's missed the ones he's had in conference. Tree has GOT to take his minutes. I think Tree knowing he is playing 15-20 minutes, and he'll improve and be more comfortable.

The lane parted like the red sea and CJ wisely took it strong to the rack. Just didnt work out.

We didn't lose this game on the last play. Although it was a pretty good decision. We lost it when Moto was jacking 3s and Bzzz's unfathomable substitution and personnel pattern. Coach K would subject players to caning for taking shots outside their range or playing pitiful defense (Chase). We lost this game when Bzzz stepped on the court.

Or maybe like Pitino, throwing his player under the bus because he didn't execute the play that was called.

The play call was great and executed exactly as planned. Spread the floor with shooters, leaving CJ isolated with a defender, and go to the basket. He got a layup, and almost a dunk. Then the follow was another layup. And CJ might have gotten fouled, putting one of the best clutch free throw shooters around on the line. I don't see how anyone complains about that. 99 times out of 100, either CJ makes the shot, makes FT's, or Cav makes the follow. Sucks it just didnt go down this time. If Devin is in the game, his defender stands in the lane waiting for CJ. It would have been crazy to have Devin in the game at that time, not to mention his FT problems. That was painful, no doubt.

We played well for about 30 minutes, but a couple stretches really hurt. Mostly when Chase was in the game. If he isn't a scoring machine, he can't be on the court with his defensive and rebounding liabilites. We are almost a third of the way into the ACC season, and Chase hasn't had a big scoring game yet, and I think has more airball 3's than makes in the last 2 weeks. I wish he would start hitting, but he is really hurting us and doesn't seem to be quick enough or athletic enough to get many clean looks. And he's missed the ones he's had in conference. Tree has GOT to take his minutes. I think Tree knowing he is playing 15-20 minutes, and he'll improve and be more comfortable.

Problem is we cant keep making excuses. I am sick and tired of having to look at a game we should have won and say " I find way more good .... than bad". That logic is somewhat acceptable against a team like Duke who we have no prayer to beat. But not acceptable yesterday. CJ had a bad game and that is the most notable reason we did not put it away. But his substitutions did have a negative impact on the entire game including the bonehead lineup he had on the last shot. Travis sat way too long when he was our hot hand. Moto played way too much considering the decisions he was making. Chase should only play isolated minutes unless he drills his first shot. The lineup of Tyler, Chase, Moto, Madison and pick a freshman gets abused every game and he continues to use it.

Maybe I'm misreading this, but from the game track feed, it looks Travis sat for 6 minutes in the first half but played through the second half. This doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me.

Big reason there were no defenders on the right is b/c travis was on the left. Move him to the right, defenders would have followed. It was a well drawn up play, well-executed play and missed call. Also, Tyler got a little excited (normal for a freshman) and bricked a high bank shot. With experience, he will have better idea of time left on shot clock and realize he could have rebounded and gone up for dunk or layup.

Brings to mind the thought that we don't get many dunks. Moto ought to be good for 1-2 per game and Devin/Cav ought to be dunking everything they can. When they go up for wimpy layups, they risk missing or getting shot blocked/altered. Go in strong for the dunk with 2 hands and any attempt at block will cause a foul and hopefully a plus one scenario. I think Bzz's offense does not lend itself much to alley-oops but he should figure out a way to do it. Gets crowd involved and pumps up the players. Also a high percentage shot.

Problem is we cant keep making excuses. I am sick and tired of having to look at a game we should have won and say " I find way more good .... than bad". That logic is somewhat acceptable against a team like Duke who we have no prayer to beat. But not acceptable yesterday. CJ had a bad game and that is the most notable reason we did not put it away. But his substitutions did have a negative impact on the entire game including the bonehead lineup he had on the last shot. Travis sat way too long when he was our hot hand. Moto played way too much considering the decisions he was making. Chase should only play isolated minutes unless he drills his first shot. The lineup of Tyler, Chase, Moto, Madison and pick a freshman gets abused every game and he continues to use it.

There were definitely things we should have done better throughout the game, both players and coaches. My only point was we got 2 great looks on a play call with under 10 seconds going the length of the court. The misses at the end were just bad luck.

Back