• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Vandy

Vandy is doing what we did during the height of the Grobe era. They are beating the teams they should beat and playing the role of aggressive upstart. They are also about to start getting some coaches fired, starting with Dooley.

This Vandy team is solid, but what's surprising is that they will win 8 games an SEC team without beating a team with a winning record.

Sad thing is Duke and Maryland were both very winnable for us and we would have been 7-5 and going to a bowl. But we are just not a bowl quality team. That's why winning records and occasional 8-9 win seasons shouldn't be a ridiculous goal. This shit team we have now could easily be at 7 wins.

Yep. That's how bad the ACC is right now. Wins over BC, MD, UVA, and Wake this year should barely even count.

Our team could be 7-5, but we could also easily be 2-9.

People were telling me at the beginning of the season that there was no way we'd have a repeat of vandy vs wfu 2011

Sad thing is Duke and Maryland were both very winnable for us and we would have been 7-5 and going to a bowl. But we are just not a bowl quality team. That's why winning records and occasional 8-9 win seasons shouldn't be a ridiculous goal. This shit team we have now could easily be at 7 wins.

If we beat Vandy we are bowl quality, as strange as that may seem. It's just the way college football is these days.

In front of a lot of empty seats. Tell me again why this "rivalry" is a good idea?

It is not! We need to be ending the season with NC State. Duke & UNC-Ch need to be playing at the end of the season. End of story.

Kentucky @ Tennessee next Saturday to see who goes 0-8 in the SEC.

It is not! We need to be ending the season with NC State. Duke & UNC-Ch need to be playing at the end of the season. End of story.

Those games in WS would be State home games.

An every-year rivalry with Vandy should be the first game of the season. Unless Wake is 06-08 competitive, the last home game will be empty regardless of opponent (unless its against State, but then it will be full for the wrong reason).

Vandy has a coach who is hungry and aggressive. Wake Forest has a coach who is satisfied and passive. The play of their respective teams reflects these attitudes.

If we beat Vandy we are bowl quality, as strange as that may seem. It's just the way college football is these days.

I get what you are saying and we could make this a condemnation of the modern cfb scene, but that's not what I'm getting after. I just hear alot of people on the boards talk about how many bowls we have gone to recently, or we are so close to 7-5, etc. I get those arguments, but I just don't think we played good football this year, win or lose, we just didn't play well. I'm willing to be in the minority on this one, but playing good ball is much more important to me than final records or bowl games. I think we use the wrong measuring stick sometimes when we compare the past few years to history. You're right, college football is different now, but that's not an excuse for playing some pretty bad ball this year.

I get what you are saying and we could make this a condemnation of the modern cfb scene, but that's not what I'm getting after. I just hear alot of people on the boards talk about how many bowls we have gone to recently, or we are so close to 7-5, etc. I get those arguments, but I just don't think we played good football this year, win or lose, we just didn't play well. I'm willing to be in the minority on this one, but playing good ball is much more important to me than final records or bowl games. I think we use the wrong measuring stick sometimes when we compare the past few years to history. You're right, college football is different now, but that's not an excuse for playing some pretty bad ball this year.

/thread

Agree with this 100%. As I have mentioned numerous times, this year feels so much worse than 2009 even though the record will likely be the same.

I hope the likes of KEEPER, who shit on any chance we have to do anything in football, were watching Stanford, Baylor and Vandy clean up in the big games on ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 last night. A landmark day in terms of the contrast between our current team and all of them

I hope the likes of KEEPER, who shit on any chance we have to do anything in football, were watching Stanford, Baylor and Vandy clean up in the big games on ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 last night. A landmark day in terms of the contrast between our current team and all of them

Stanford has always had way more stature and resources than we could ever have. Even when they were struggling in football, they were the #1 athletics program in the nation. And in football they are a sleeping giant. They could raze and renovate their stadium in one off-season and think nothing of it. And guys like John Elway and Jim Plunkett were QBs there. They have tradition. We don't.

The job Franklin has done at Vandy has surprised me. I didn't think anybody could recruit like that there. But Tennessee is 1-14 in their last 15 SEC games for a reason. They have allowed 40 plus in the last 8 games except 1-10 Akron (26) and USC (38). That includes giving up 48 to 5-6 Troy State. We could probably score on them. :) Grobe has had many more impressive wins at Wake than that even though we are down right now.

Last edited:
No the situation b/w Grobe and Franklin is highly comparable. Vandy is racking up wins right now against lesser teams, exactly what we did during the boom years of 2006-2009. Those were bad years for the ACC and without looking it up I don't think we played more than two or three ranked teams during that stretch and we lost to all but one I think.

Anyway, your post is just more rationalization. It's so upsetting to see devoted fans w/ such low expectations for the program. There are no excuses with Vandy, NW, Duke, Stanford all doing well unless of course RW is holding us back somehow which would not surprise me, we need leadership changes from the top down.

I watched some of that game last night. Vandy will likely thump us. I wonder how long that coach will be there at the rate he's going.

Agree with Turd as well. The ACC is bad once again this year. BC, MD, UVA, VT, Miami and GT are all having sub-par seasons, and the only real overachiever is Dick. The only game I watched that we won where I thought, wow, we played great, was the UNC game. We've lost real bad to the good teams and muddled around with the other bad teams in what were ugly games to watch - UVA especially.

I watched some of that game last night. Vandy will likely thump us. I wonder how long that coach will be there at the rate he's going.

Agree with Turd as well. The ACC is bad once again this year. BC, MD, UVA, VT, Miami and GT are all having sub-par seasons, and the only real overachiever is Dick. The only game I watched that we won where I thought, wow, we played great, was the UNC game. We've lost real bad to the good teams and muddled around with the other bad teams in what were ugly games to watch - UVA especially.

This week, there was a radio host in Atlanta claiming that Franklin should be a candidate to replace Dooley after he gets him fired this weekend. Not sure if he was serious, or trying to be funny.

No the situation b/w Grobe and Franklin is highly comparable. Vandy is racking up wins right now against lesser teams, exactly what we did during the boom years of 2006-2009. Those were bad years for the ACC and without looking it up I don't think we played more than two or three ranked teams during that stretch and we lost to all but one I think.

Anyway, your post is just more rationalization. It's so upsetting to see devoted fans w/ such low expectations for the program. There are no excuses with Vandy, NW, Duke, Stanford all doing well unless of course RW is holding us back somehow which would not surprise me, we need leadership changes from the top down.

The only comment I made was that a win over Tennessee isn't a "big win". Vandy, NW and Stanford have had better seasons than us. Duke is basically us with an easier OOC schedule.

We certainly had many more wins bigger than Tennessee during 06 to 09. In 06 we beat ranked BC and GT teams alone. Beat ranked FSU teams in 07 and 08. Beat an Ole Miss team that ended up in the Cotton Bowl. Beat a Stanford team in 09 that ended up being pretty good. All much better wins than a Tennessee team that is 1-14 in its last 15 SEC games.

I am not happy with the state of the program right now either. Getting blown out a bunch is no fun.

Last edited:
Back