• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Vaportini™ is a revolutionary new way of consuming alcohol.

It's like a scentsy for men. My wife is going to be pretty pleased when our entire house smells like hot 30 dollar bourbon.

Pretty silly, IMO. But they may sell a lot and make some cash.

And of course if you get the alcohol in your system you're getting the calories. If is sounds too good to be true...

This thing should be on late night TV ads with a price of 19.95. Or three payments of that amount. The Ronco Vapomatic.

Hmm, didn't know that smoking things could cause calorie consumption. How many calories in a cigarette then?

Hmm, didn't know that smoking things could cause calorie consumption. How many calories in a cigarette then?

It's really got nothing to do with the route of administration; it's all about the substance. Ethanol has calories, so if it ends up in your bloodstream it'll get metabolized. It's the equivalent of saying that you won't get fat if you liquify a cookie and put it in an IV bag.

If alcohol enters your bloodstream, your body has to metabolize it. The process of breaking it down releases heat/energy in the form of calories.

Breaking down the toxins in cigarette smoke also releases some amount of energy in your body, which then has to be stored somewhere (as fat). If tobacco was typically ingested, we would know more about the caloric impact of it.

OIC, it's gotta be significantly fewer calories than typical consumption of alcohol though, right? Wouldn't it take a lot more energy to digest an actual liquid vs just absorbing alcohol into your blood stream via your lungs?

The difference between the energy spent absorbing and metabolizing a substance versus just metabolizing it is pretty negligible. The caloric "benefit" of inhaling alcohol is that it makes it to your brain before your liver, rather than the other way around, so it takes less alcohol to get housed.

Breaking down the toxins in cigarette smoke also releases some amount of energy in your body, which then has to be stored somewhere (as fat). If tobacco was typically ingested, we would know more about the caloric impact of it.

Not sure what you're getting at here. Unless something is a sugar, protein, lipid, or alcohol, then it's not getting stored as fat. Toxins may hang out in your fat, because our bodies incompletely clear then, but the toxins in cigarettes aren't getting turned into fat. Off hand, the only thing in tobacco that would qualify is cellulose and trace amounts of protein, which are either indigestible or nearly so, making cigarettes virtually calorie-free irrespective of how their contents get into the body.

Just seems weird to me that you can ingest calories via breathing in alcohol vapors. So if I did enough of that I could actually gain weight/get fat from it? That shit cray.

Just seems weird to me that you can ingest calories via breathing in alcohol vapors. So if I did enough of that I could actually gain weight/get fat from it? That shit cray.

Well, I mean, they're probably full of shit and it's just water vapor.

Not sure what you're getting at here. Unless something is a sugar, protein, lipid, or alcohol, then it's not getting stored as fat. Toxins may hang out in your fat, because our bodies incompletely clear then, but the toxins in cigarettes aren't getting turned into fat. Off hand, the only thing in tobacco that would qualify is cellulose and trace amounts of protein, which are either indigestible or nearly so, making cigarettes virtually calorie-free irrespective of how their contents get into the body.

My bad. Don't know what I was thinking.

With this game and how it is affecting my drinking pace, I may be buying one of these tonight as well.

I knew a frenchman at Wake that once told me about a drink he called a "basketball" which essentially consisted of lighting high proof liquor on fire, covering it with your hand, it would create a vacuum so it would stick to your hand, then you could huff the vapor. Said frenchman also did some "real drugs" as someone alluded to so he's got that going for him. Don't remember exactly why it was called a basketball, I think something about palming a basketball.

Anyone try this yet? I just found out about it from this weeks "The League" episode. I am intrigued.

A do it yourself option.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162...ecomes-drunk-when-stomach-turns-into-brewery/

"When a 61-year-old Texas man came into an emergency room claiming he was dizzy and was found to have a blood alcohol concentration of 0.37 percent, doctors assumed he was drunk.

Despite the fact the man claimed he hadn't consumed alcohol that day, most doctors still thought he was a "closet drinker," NPR reported.

It turned out that those medical professionals were wrong: the man had "auto-brewery syndrome." His stomach contained so much yeast that he was making his own in-house brew, literally."

"Before he was diagnosed with the syndrome, the patient's wife -- who was a nurse -- was so concerned with her husband's constantly drunk condition that she had him regularly tested with a Breathalyzer. He would record numbers as high as 0.33 to 0.4 percent, considerably higher than the U.S. legal driving limit of 0.08 percent."

"The doctors then realized that he must have been infected with high levels Saccharomyces cerevisiae, a kind of yeast that is used in alcohol fermentation and baking. They suspected that because the patient had been put on antibiotics following surgery for a broken foot in 2004, the medications might have killed all his gut bacteria. This allowed the yeast to thrive in his body."

Back