• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Verizon Center (DC) Driving and Parking Advice

duncandonut

Reaction score
I'm looking to drive up to DC Sunday for a concert that evening at the Verizon Center. Imagining how busy Washingon, DC could be, would it be viable to use public parking within a few blocks of Verizon? I'm not staying overnight and will be looking to drive home afterwards. Thanks!

I haven't frequented DC in many years, but I imagine it is likely easier to park at/near a remote Metro station and take the Metro to Chinatown.

Yeah. If it were me I would metro in from one of the outlying stations.

Yea, definitely Metro in from outside DC. There's not a lot of parking near the Verizon center. They are digging up the old tennis stadium and bus loading area a couple blocks away that had a ton of parking... there's parking there, but it's very small now.

My wife follows Bruce like folks use to follow the Dead. She'll be making the trip and recommends parking at the Verizon center. She says its pretty easy in/out. I on the other hand use the metro when getting around DC

Another vote for the Metro. If you are heading south after the show, I would recommend parking at the Huntington Station on the Yellow Line. Then it's a straight shot to Gallery Place/Chinatown with no transfers. Huntington is less than 1 mile off the beltway.

Plan to drop some serious bucks if you want the ease of parking close to Verizon. Metro'ing is your best bet if you have the time and patience.

Another vote for the Metro. If you are heading south after the show, I would recommend parking at the Huntington Station on the Yellow Line. Then it's a straight shot to Gallery Place/Chinatown with no transfers. Huntington is less than 1 mile off the beltway.

Do you know about how long the metro ride would be? I saw that the Metro shuts down at midnight.

Normally I'd say metro but it doesn't run as often (and has been doing tons of track work) on the weekends and parking/traffic shouldn't be too bad on a Sunday. However, I haven't parked down there in about a year so maybe it is worse now.

I would look for parking a bit further away rather than taking metro (which could be slow on a Sunday). For example, you could plan on parking on the street on 3rd Street NW somewhere between C Street and G Street (that's where I usually park when I dive down that way and I've always found a spot) and if there isn't a spot and you don't want to keep looking, pay to park in a garage. I guess it depends how comfortable you are driving around city streets looking for parking, and then walking a few extra blocks.

I'll be alone - is it safe for a short, skinny guy like me to be walking around that area late at night?

I think so. I'm actually picking my wife up from an event near there as I write this. I'd look east of 5th and south of F--Caps game tonight and there's tons of street parking available. Sketchiest area is on D across 395, where there's a homeless shelter. Around Judiciary Square is pretty safe and well lit these days.

Thanks, ogb@c. I plan on getting there early and will probably park in the area. I would take the Metro, but I don't want to run the risk of not being able to get back to my car before it shuts down. Thanks to all for your help!

Do you know about how long the metro ride would be? I saw that the Metro shuts down at midnight.

I used this station all the time when I lived there. I think it's about 20 or 30 minutes. Metro closes at 3 on Friday night / Saturday morning and Saturday night / Sunday morning and 12 the rest of the week. If you will miss the last train, park close the the Verizon Center.

Metro is a hassle, especially on weekends and especially leaving a big event - you should drive in. I park at 875 D St everytime I go to the Verizon Center. $15 flat fee after hours, self parking and usually not too crowded, open 24 hours so you don't have to worry about your car getting locked in if you go for a drink after the event, and its 3 blocks from the Verizon Center on the 395 side so you don't have to fight through the arena traffic to get in/out. When you leave its 2 blocks down 9th St to a tunnel that dumps you out on 395 South.

washingtondc.bestparking.com will give you details on everywhere to park, but I don't even think about it anymore and just head straight to this garage.

Oh, and the area is completely safe, especially when there's a show/game going on. It'll be lots of aging baby boomer suburbanites from Fairfax Sunday night, just like tonight with the Van Halen concert - load up the minivan!

I work a block from the Verizon Center and drive/park there all the time. Rolfe is on the money.

Back