• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Verizon Thunderbolt or iPhone

coredeac

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new personal phone.

From the reviews I've read, it appears the iPhone has superior battery life.

Anyone have a strong opinion or experience with the iPhone or Thunderbolt?

If you're looking for longevity, I have an iPhone 3G that I've had for 2.5 years now. Still runs great, albeit not as fast as the 4 obviously, with the occasional app-crash. Battery life is still the same as the first day that I bought it (Great, for a smart phone). If you plan on having this phone for a while, I'd recommend the iPhone.

Consensus of the tech writers seems to be that the marriage of the Verizon network with the iPhone, at least for now, is nearly perfect. That said, I've always had Android handsets (since the T-Mobile G1; the first Android handset available) and prefer the Android philosophy of an open network to the iPhone model.

Thunderbolt is huge, heavy, bulky, and has a heavy use battery life of 3 hours.

It's the same size as any other 4.3" screen phone. It's not exactly bulky. I actually think it's rather comfortable to hold, a lot moreso than I expected.

.. the concerns about the battery life are a little bit overstated IMO. DF2009 has had the phone for a week now and I don't think he's run out of battery before the end of the day yet.

The coming release of the Bionic may correct the short battery life of the Thunderbolt.

Great, great posts. Thanks and keep them coming.

Man, this is a great board.

Love my Droid2 on Verizon, I could push battery life to two days with minimal use and wifi/gps off, but I just charge it every night.

I too am looking into getting a smartphone, on Verizon.

I'm leaning Android-based for whatever reason, but the Apple people are persuasive with their iPhones.

One guy is telling me I should just find a cheap iPhone 3 online and get that instead of upgrading to the 4. When is the 5 slated to arrive - autumn?

Someone also mentioned I might want to sign up sooner than later on Verizon to get the unlimited data plan, as it might go away soon.

I absolutely do not want to charge my phone during the day, to get through the day. Minimum acceptable battery time is a full day.

Also the ads make it sound like 4G LTE is the future. I don't really know what this means. How important is it that I get a phone that can support that?

Consensus of the tech writers seems to be that the marriage of the Verizon network with the iPhone, at least for now, is nearly perfect. That said, I've always had Android handsets (since the T-Mobile G1; the first Android handset available) and prefer the Android philosophy of an open network to the iPhone model.

Except for the fact that you can't web browse while on the phone. Some people may not use that feature, but I have several times and it is extremely useful.

As far as battery life is concerned, I have the iphone 4 and I never have to charge it during the day. I can sometimes go 2 days without charging.

I too am looking into getting a smartphone, on Verizon.

I'm leaning Android-based for whatever reason, but the Apple people are persuasive with their iPhones.

One guy is telling me I should just find a cheap iPhone 3 online and get that instead of upgrading to the 4. When is the 5 slated to arrive - autumn?

Someone also mentioned I might want to sign up sooner than later on Verizon to get the unlimited data plan, as it might go away soon.

I absolutely do not want to charge my phone during the day, to get through the day. Minimum acceptable battery time is a full day.

Also the ads make it sound like 4G LTE is the future. I don't really know what this means. How important is it that I get a phone that can support that?

Two things here:

1) If you're on Verizon, as you said, only the iPhone 4 will work with their CDMA network. The earlier iPhones were GSM only (AT&T). So your only option right now is the iPhone 4. It will probably be a Fall release for the iPhone 5 but it could happen in June.

2) Even if the earlier iPhones worked on Verizon's network, you wouldn't find a "cheap" iPhone 3 off contract. They still go for more off contract (e.g. on eBay) than the iPhone 4 does on contract.

No problem.

I have had a few Android phones on Verizon--can't go wrong with the Thunderbolt or with the Droid Bionic that should be out shortly. Verizon's "4G" is going to be pretty solid but I would definitely be concerned with battery life. That said, I have the iPhone 4 on Verizon and I am very happy with it. It's just a slightly better product in every area in my opinion. Hardware is better, software is more polished, less fragmentation, etc.

"4G" is awesome and it is the future but I wouldn't make it a priority. It wouldn't hurt to wait until they can figure out how to achieve better battery life.

I would definitely agree that unlimited data is a thing of the past and it's only a matter of time until Verizon jumps on that bandwagon. So that's something to consider as well.

Pretty much everything has been covered.

If you plan to get a Thunderbolt and need minimum one day, plan to buy an extended battery. HTC Android devices are notoriously miserable for battery life. You can extend it by decreasing screen brightness and turning off services individually, but that's kind of pain. Also, as said, 4G is the future, and Verizon's LTE network is really solid from early reports. The speeds they're getting are rather impressive.

I've carried all three (Android, Blackberry, and iPhone), and thus far the iPhone is my favorite. The battery life is really great for a smartphone (gets through an entire day with plenty leftover to spare for a late night). Some people will harp on open vs. closed, but unless you're a programmer or a tinkerer, you'll never notice the difference. There are thousands of Apps in both markets that will do 99% of the things you want it to do. For that 1%, there's jailbreaking, which is fairly simple.

My one complaint for the iPhone on Verizon is the data speeds are lackluster, but as mentioned, by the time the iPhone 5 and LTE comes to the carrier, unlimited data plans will likely be no more.

I'm holding a Thunderbolt as we speak. It's definitely bulky, albeit beautiful.

I think based on what you've said you would absolutely have to get the extended battery for the Thunderbolt, which adds some heft and more bulk.

I would be shocked if the next iPhone launches in June - I think those rumors were false and for the most part dismissed. Who knows with Apple, but I just don't see it.

If I were you I'd try out the Thunderbolt with the extended battery and compare it to the iPhone then make your choice. Both are fantastic phones and you won't regret either of them. Just don't get a big screen 4g Droid with a standard battery if battery life matters to you.

Yeah it seems the battery life is the issue, and also the phones are so darn huge. I mean, I do carry a purse so I have more space than men do with just their pockets, but still.

I guess since I've never had a smartphone I can't appreciate that I'd want a bigger screen for all the "smart things" I'd be using it for.

I would be shocked if the next iPhone launches in June - I think those rumors were false and for the most part dismissed. Who knows with Apple, but I just don't see it.

Also what I've heard. Most reputable outlets are saying iOS 5.0 will get previewed at WWDC in June, and will launch on the iPhone 5 this fall. I don't think Apple can keep up the refresh cycles they do, basically pumping out an updated product every 3 months like they currently do. I imagine they'll begin launching the iPhone and iPod refreshes along side each other at one mega-event this fall.

I purchased the iPhone and am very happy with my decision. The battery life and proven stability of the device swayed me. I'm sure other devices are equally up for the task but I think the iPhone was a solid purchase.

Good luck!

Back