• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Veterans Bill

WFFaithful

Reaction score
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/199480-gop-blocks-veterans-bill

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/senate-blocks-bill-expanding-veterans-benefits-022714

"I find it incredible that we had several Democrats come down to speak but very few Republicans, and then, when they did, I heard Iran sanctions and I heard Benghazi. Tell me what Benghazi or Iran sanctions have to do with caring for our veterans."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=283292132

"I personally, I have to say this honestly, have a hard time understanding how anyone could vote for tax breaks for billionaires, for millionaires, for large corporations and then say we don't have the resources to protect our veterans," said Sanders, the measure's chief author."

I would love to post this for my misguided GOP military friends but I would rather speak with them in person.

The headline could alternatively read: "Reid opposes sanctions against Iran; stymies Veteran's Bill"

Every country (other than Israel) oppose those sanctions. If we did them, Iran would have a nuke much quicker.

This was a despicable act of spitting in the faces of our heroes.

It was definitely a clever political ploy of the Democrats getting the Pubs to take a painful vote that can be used against them in the elections.

There was no reason whatsoever for the GOP not to vote for a clean bill here. It would have helped them and vets. Once again they showed that they hate Obama far more than they love America.

The person running against McConnell in KY should use this in tons of ads.

Every country (other than Israel) oppose those sanctions. If we did them, Iran would have a nuke much quicker.

This was a despicable act of spitting in the faces of our heroes.

Then why not allow an up or down vote on the amendment?

Because the amendment flew in the face of an ongoing diplomatic effort that includes our EU allies. We'd be shitting on them and harming any chance we had. It's 100% a grandstand move to embarrass Obama and harm our country. It's a perfect example of the GOP hating Obama more than they love America.

The vet bill was to help people who gave their bodies for our nation. There should be no coupling.

Because the amendment flew in the face of an ongoing diplomatic effort that includes our EU allies. We'd be shitting on them and harming any chance we had. It's 100% a grandstand move to embarrass Obama and harm our country. It's a perfect example of the GOP hating Obama more than they love America.

The vet bill was to help people who gave their bodies for our nation. There should be no coupling.

So then the amendment would have failed? Again, why not vote on it?

Because every crazy idea doesn't deserve a vote. You don't vote on things that will harm our nation just bringing them up. The fact that a significant portion of our Senate will vote against will devastate our position. It's disgraceful to do so knowing it do harm to our nation and potentially the world.

Last edited:
Sen. Bernie Sanders’s (I-Vt.) bill, S. 1982, would have expanded veterans' healthcare programs, given veterans in-state tuition rates at all schools across the country and provided advanced appropriations for the Department of Veterans Affairs.

“This bill proposes to spend more than we agreed to spend,” Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) said before raising the budget point of order. “This bill creates new veterans’ programs and it’s not paid for — it’s all borrowed money.

“We’re not going to use some bogus gimmick to justify busting the budget.”

Another GOP complaint was that Sanders’s bill increased the number of veterans who could qualify for disability benefits. Burr said Sanders’s bill would allow a veteran who is injured in the private sector to apply for VA disability benefits. The VA has an ever-increasing backlog, causing some veterans to wait more than a year to receive a decision on their benefits application.

Sounds like a shitty bill to me. The cost is always debatable, but getting disability from an injury suffered in the private sector? Gimme a break. Also, while I agree with the idea, the feds should not be forcing state schools to accept state tuition for vets. It simply isn't their business to dictate that. Let the states run with that ball if they so choose. Dems forced Pubs to vote against it so they could grandstand and look better. Happens all the time with both parties.

That sounds like a good idea. The vets protected the entire country. The amount of money this will cost the states is almost nothing. The reality is the difference between in state and out of state is totally arbitrary anyway.

That sounds like a good idea. The vets protected the entire country. The amount of money this will cost the states is almost nothing. The reality is the difference between in state and out of state is totally arbitrary anyway.

The reality is that it would be yet another overstep by the federal government. They have absolutely no business to tell the states what amount of tuition they can charge anybody. State budgets are already eating massive amounts of shit as it is. They shouldn't be forced to trim revenues where they haven't opted to on their own.

images

Back