• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Volvo XC90

zqglass

Reaction score
I'm about to buy a Volvo XC90 and I was curious if anyone on here had ever owned one and how they felt about theirs...

My mom has one. She likes it but I'm not a big fan.

I am very glad not to own a Swedish car anymore. Fun to drive but quirky and expensive to repair. That being said, I know a few people who love their XC90s. Start saving for repairs you didnt even know existed...

It is a nice car, the R-spec ones are very nice, but from what I remember, the interior was very dated when compared with some of the other models.

I am very glad not to own a Swedish car anymore. Fun to drive but quirky and expensive to repair. That being said, I know a few people who love their XC90s. Start saving for repairs you didnt even know existed...

+1

Volvo has not been the same since Ford got involved. FTR, I owned Volvos for almost 20 yrs before they went to crap...last one had a continually leaking sun roof - right after the warranty expired. The edge they had in safety has been matched or exceeded by other makes now. Over-priced, expensive to maintain, lousy gas mileage....if $$$ is no object, you might enjoy.....

I was actually looking at reviews online last night since my wife is in the market for a safe mid-size SUV and Volvos have always been the standard for safe cars. No one was very high on it from what I saw. Consumer Reports, KBB, US News, etc were all saying look elsewhere. We still might test drive one.

FWIW, I think we're going to look at the new Explorer, an RX350, a Highlander, and an RDX, maybe more (we'd look at the big Infiniti SUV if we could afford it - and the Grand Cherokee if we didn't have one already). The MKT and Enclave have gotten good reviews, but something about getting a Buick at 28 doesn't appeal to my wife.

Good luck.

Last edited:
+1

Volvo has not been the same since Ford got involved. FTR, I owned Volvos for almost 20 yrs before they went to crap...last one had a continually leaking sun roof - right after the warranty expired. The edge they had in safety has been matched or exceeded by other makes now. Over-priced, expensive to maintain, lousy gas mileage....if $$$ is no object, you might enjoy.....

when did ford buy volvo?

when did ford buy volvo?

Back in the late nineties. However, they resold it to a Chinese auto manufacturer a few years ago.

We have a 2012 XC90 and love it. No issues at all with it so far. The routine maintenance can be pricey (we've had two Volvo cars immediately prior), but we leased this one with that included so not an issue. I like the way it looks, inside and out. The only complaint I have with ours is that we got the 2WD with the smaller engine and it's way undersized - not very peppy at all. My wife just drives it around town chauffeuring the kids around, so that's not a huge issue for us. I think it's a relatively good bargain in its class, or at least it was a few years ago.

Unless you're getting a great deal on it, maintenance and repairs are going to eat you alive.

There are lots of better options out there.

Unless you're getting a great deal on it, maintenance and repairs are going to eat you alive.

There are lots of better options out there.

it just seems like these things are a crapshoot. for every horror story i hear, i hear someone saying they love theirs and haven't had any problems.

Back