• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VOTE AGAINST

He's an absolute coward for not weighing in on this before the vote. He finds time to inject his opinion into the Trayvon Martin case and the Henry Gates issue, but he couldn't take a stand on this amendment during his recent trip to NC? Gutless.

Agreed. his "my opinion on this matter is evolving" BS pisses me off. Still better than the other side, as always.

564233_448659925163466_205344452828349_100677201_537125933_n.jpg

He's an absolute coward for not weighing in on this before the vote. He finds time to inject his opinion into the Trayvon Martin case and the Henry Gates issue, but he couldn't take a stand on this amendment during his recent trip to NC? Gutless.

Agreed. Totally gutless move by the president and clearly illustrative of the cowardice in politics today. Nobody will take a stand for what they believe in anymore. Even if Obama truly believes gay marriage is wrong (or is pretending to in order to not upset a portion of his election base) he can at least come out against the amendment for its true purpose (discrimination and systematic denial of rights to a group of people).

Agreed. his "my opinion on this matter is evolving" BS pisses me off. Still better than the other side, as always.

It's not like he could have changed the result, but it would be nice to see him take a clearly defined stand on the issue before the vote.

It's not like he could have changed the result, but it would be nice to see him take a clearly defined stand on the issue before the vote.

Obviously he is more concerned about isolating and losing voters if he took a stand in what should be a swing state come November.

Obviously he is more concerned about isolating and losing voters if he took a stand in what should be a swing state come November.

Add in the convention being in Charlotte and you have some very transparent reasons why he tiptoed around this issue. Pussy.

How many voters would he really have lost had he come out against this? A lot of the group voting for it weren't going to vote for him anyway, and those that were likely wouldn't have changed to Mitt Romney because Obama went from "evolving" to opposing the amendment. At the same time he would've been making a stand against something that would be nice to see in today's political environment. He really just fucked this completely up.

546149_3097313003106_1572546312_32172123_617466528_n.jpg

Wish Wake was on there. Stupid Forsyth County...

‎"Marriage: What straight couples have legally and commonly don't want, and what gay couples don't have legally and commonly want."

Don't have the source. Was quoted and the person did not say who said it.

I'm going to disagree with part of what you said here shoo. I'll agree that the outcome of this vote really had nothing to do with facebook, etc, anymore than it really has to do with signs in people's yards - those things don't change people's opinions about issues (or candidates) they only serve to change people's opinions about the person who posted/placed the sign (unfortunately) because there is no discussion and in most cases, no relationship.

I understand and honestly sometimes share your disdain for "Christianity" (meaning the most public and vocal face of the church - which seems to be quite political), but to call them incapable of education is silly (and honestly, the whole notion that a discussion with someone who is a Christian is you educating them b/c of their ignorance rather than discussing opposing viewpoints is a bit condescending, although I will acknowledge that in the case of this amendment, there was a lot of ignorance of its scope and implications). But there has been a breakdown of civil disagreement in our society, so good conversations rarely happen. When faced with a conversation of "homosexuality is evil" v. "you're a bigot," there won't be much understanding. It puts both parties on the defensive and nothing constructive can come of it. But when you listen to others (and not just wait for a turn to tell them why you're right), real conversation can happen. We've seen on this thread that DeaconSlim had a good conversation with his family (and dad in particular) that resulted in a change of heart. I had several conversation with folks who are very conservative, both politically and theologically, who reconsidered their position on the amendment.

The frustrating thing about politics these days is that we treat each election like a sporting event where we just want our side to win. I can't tell you how many posts I saw yesterday comparing this to a UNC/Duke game, etc. It breaks down actual discussion because when our team loses, it strangely says something about our own value. And healthy discussion can't happen in that circumstance (on any side - religious or not).

Just to pump my wife up b/c she's awesome, i think she wrote something pretty awesome about this topic:

Why I hate Election Years

I remember your wife from Wake, and I agree with her. I should have limited my critique to Christians who voted for the amendment based on their religion. The rest need to get their house in order because the crazies are in control right now.

546149_3097313003106_1572546312_32172123_617466528_n.jpg

Wish Wake was on there. Stupid Forsyth County...

Yeah me too. I would argue that it's not our fault. We have a much smaller population than most other schools and also likely have the highest out of state rate (75%). Still sucks though.

Yeah me too. I would argue that it's not our fault. We have a much smaller population than most other schools and also likely have the highest out of state rate (75%). Still sucks though.

I completely agree with that. Plus, a lot of our students are out of state compared to other schools on that list, so we really can't be the sole reason.

I know a lot of Wake people that didn't vote because of exams though.

Yeah, if it was really important to them, they'd have found a way.

I agree with you guys, but there's more than that. When people have exams all week and are cramming last minute (which is their fault), the last thing they're thinking about is going out to vote...

But still, a ton of out-of-staters. So it really wouldn't have done much anyway.

A question that this mess has made me think about is: should religious institutions have 501(c)3 tax exempt status while acting as political mouthpieces?

Thoughts?

ETA: this question is not just aimed at the Baptist church, but rather at religious institutions across the board.

Back