• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VOTE AGAINST

Wait a minute. I thought this type of deal would no longer exist if the amendment passed. Was I given inaccuate information?

I actually would like to hear an explanation regarding this. Despite his ability to troll, I actually was on the same page as him regarding this e-mail. How can Wake continue to extend health and welfare benefits if a state amendment has ruled it unconstitutional to do so. I (obviously) disagree with the new law but it is law nonetheless. What am I missing here?

I actually would like to hear an explanation regarding this. Despite his ability to troll, I actually was on the same page as him regarding this e-mail. How can Wake continue to extend health and welfare benefits if a state amendment has ruled it unconstitutional to do so. I (obviously) disagree with the new law but it is law nonetheless. What am I missing here?

From what I understand, it is illegal for a state entity to extend health and welfare benefits to a domestic partner. It is still legal for a private employer to do so.

From what I understand, it is illegal for a state entity to extend health and welfare benefits to a domestic partner. It is still legal for a private employer to do so.

Ok thanks. I figured that private employer's were a little bit different but wasn't sure how exactly.

Just thought I'd post this hilarious "justification" for voting FOR the Amendment yesterday from someone I know.

I_m12YearsOld.jpg

Ok thanks. I figured that private employer's were a little bit different but wasn't sure how exactly.

Employers can cover whoever they want. They don't have to provide anybody health insurance if they don't want to. Nothing is going to change. Scare tactics.

It hasn't been challenged in a court yet either. As far as I know, NC doesn't have "consititution police" that run around making sure everything done in the state is in accordance with the constitution.

Wake's policy could be challenged by another party as being against the NC constiution.

Last edited:
Aw man I don't even know why I ventured here. Well since Wake sports suck the sports board isn't even fun anymore and now I come on here and read all of this bull. Good luck with all of the namecalling and labeling all of the voters who voted for the amendment bigots and discriminators. Some of you need to look in the mirror.

Why? we aren't bigots and discriminators.

Employers can cover whoever they want. They don't have to provide anybody health insurance if they don't want to. Nothing is going to change. Scare tactics.

Private employers, yes. But you are framing this the wrong way - it's not a question of being obligated to provide health insurance, it is a question of whether a public employer is now prohibited from providing health insurance to a class of persons that it would like to. The one Mecklenburg County Commissioner's position is that public employers now cannot provide domestic partner benefits since marriage between a man and a woman is now the only domestic union that is recognized by the state. That would obviously be a huge change. I bet there will be many people other people trying to make that argument. And as the AGAINST side has been saying from the beginning, this was one of the huge problems with Amendment One - it is poorly worded, vague, and now there are going to be all sorts of legal battles fought to have it interpreted. No scare tactic at all - this is exactly one of the consequences the AGAINST side said would happen.

Private employers, yes. But you are framing this the wrong way - it's not a question of being obligated to provide health insurance, it is a question of whether a public employer is now prohibited from providing health insurance to a class of persons that it would like to. The one Mecklenburg County Commissioner's position is that public employers now cannot provide domestic partner benefits since marriage between a man and a woman is now the only domestic union that is recognized by the state. That would obviously be a huge change. I bet there will be many people other people trying to make that argument. And as the AGAINST side has been saying from the beginning, this was one of the huge problems with Amendment One - it is poorly worded, vague, and now there are going to be all sorts of legal battles fought to have it interpreted. No scare tactic at all - this is exactly one of the consequences the AGAINST side said would happen.

No changes will occur unless the employer wants them to occur. Obamacare is on its way anyway.

No changes will occur unless the employer wants them to occur. Obamacare is on its way anyway.

As the state constitution now reflects that only a married couple will be recognized, the state or any part of it (including the 7 IIRC municipalities that offer domestic partner benefits) will not be allowed to recognize anything other than that. Domestic Partnership coverage on insurance is not a cafeteria style option available to everyone as is shown by the other municipalities not offering it. It's not a "scare tactic" that some insurance benefits will be stripped.

Anybody who draws conclusions on the impact of this amendment the day after it passed has no understanding of how the law works.

I am curious as to this situation:

Back in the late 90s, Hartford Insurance Company began recognizing domestic partners and granting "married" rates. The rational is that, just like when one is married, there is a sense of caution taken when there is more at risk being not just yourself (single). Anyways, Florida was one of its first states to offer this and while the South East Underwritting office was located here in NC in Charlotte, NC insurance regulators would not allow it to be offered here in NC. For all those who are unaware, insurance is HEAVILY regulated by the government in every fashion from rates to definitions. I wonder if this will now impact this private company from offering a private contract since the department of insurance has already been involved in this same area just 15 years ago???

As the state constitution now reflects that only a married couple will be recognized, the state or any part of it (including the 7 IIRC municipalities that offer domestic partner benefits) will not be allowed to recognize anything other than that. Domestic Partnership coverage on insurance is not a cafeteria style option available to everyone as is shown by the other municipalities not offering it. It's not a "scare tactic" that some insurance benefits will be stripped.

Insurance companies want subscribers. They'll figure it out.

This might lead to rethinking marriage advantages in the first place. Deductions, ets.

Question for the mods:

Is there no way the posting set-up can be tweaked whereby quoted comments from an ignorred poster can also be blocked? That would be a great addition to the boards.

I know what you mean. Some posters are just over the top.

Insurance companies want subscribers. They'll figure it out.

Wrong again! A basic and founding principle of insurance is "insurable interest" in that there must be a commonality, a LEGAL protected interest, for there to be coverage. To dumb it down for you, I can not insure a random person on a group policy because there is no LEGAL interest in him/her.

Wrong again! A basic and founding principle of insurance is "insurable interest" in that there must be a commonality, a LEGAL protected interest, for there to be coverage. To dumb it down for you, I can not insure a random person on a group policy because there is no LEGAL interest in him/her.

But him/her can buy a separate policy. Correct?

But him/her can buy a separate policy. Correct?

Maybe but at what cost & what coverage? Individual policies are far more limited than group policies. Did anything occur that would now be considered a preexisiting condition and now not eligible for coverage?

Maybe but at what cost & what coverage? Individual policies are far more limited than group policies. Did anything occur that would now be considered a preexisiting condition and now not eligible for coverage?

Too much government involvement in insurance matters . That is for sure.

Back