• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Voter ID laws would have prevented 31 cases from 1 BILLION votes

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with his proposal and would gladly accept.
But the government already has the gun purchase info and can database it however they want without asking anything else of its citizens beyond what is currently asked. Not having explicit laws in place about that stuff has obviously not stopped Obama before.

But the government already has the gun purchase info and can database it however they want without asking anything else of its citizens beyond what is currently asked. Not having explicit laws in place about that stuff has obviously not stopped Obama before.

I do not believe this is true. I'm not 100% on this but I was under the impression the federal government was barred from maintaining a database of gun ownership unless it was used in a crime.

You can't just show up with an ID and vote. I'd definitely be for that system.

You also can't just show up with an ID and get a gun. In the case of a handgun you've got to go through the purchase permit process with the County sheriff or take the class and background check for a CCP. In the case of a long gun they run the sheriff check before you can buy it.

I do not believe this is true. I'm not 100% on this but I was under the impression the federal government was barred from maintaining a database of gun ownership unless it was used in a crime.

So then they can tell the states to do it. They seem to like that sort of thing.

Anybody with a lick of sense knows there were more than 31 cases of voter fraud in an election.

Regardless, it is reasonable that you should have to prove your identity to vote. That proof requirement shouldn't be onerous however.

Voter IDs only stop voter impersonation fraud. There were only 31 potential cases of voter impersonation fraud found in over 1 BILLION votes cast.

Much of the "voter fraud" comes from things like not changing your address or registering in multiple places (this is mostly the fault of the states and localities not culling their lists).

Last edited:

WTF are you talking about? the #1 thing the NRA opposes is a gun ownership database. The government doesn't have this.

bh.gif

The law is they cannot keep the records. You can bet if they ever did the NRA would go even more nuts.

Would you volunteer to break the news to the RJ-that-hated-George-Bush's-promises-to-only-use-warrantless-wiretraps-for-solid-reasons? That might not go well.

Requiring identification to drive a car doesn't necessarily mean people who shouldn't drive are doing so. But it gives you a good idea of who they actually are when they're doing so. Que the "yeah, but voting's a right driving isn't" strawman.

Back