• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Voting for President--Personality or Policy?

ProfessorDeac

Reaction score
The "grading Obama" thread got me thinking about this: When you're deciding how to vote, do you look more to the candidates' policies or their personalities?

I'm probably in the minority in looking to personality first. Perhaps this is because I tend to think most of what candidates say in a campaign is BS. Even if they believe what they're saying, they're not going to be able to do most of it. Each day of the next four years will hit them with so many unanticipated circumstances (especially for a first-term president) that, to me, it's more important how they'll be able to deal with the unknown than what they'd do in an ideal world. Of course, I include character in the concept of personality. Terrible character trumps even the most congenial, flexible, hard-working personality. But I don't impugn a candidate's character just because I disagree with his policies. I think it's an unfortunate aspect of current political discourse that the two are so often shoved together.

This is why I still feel good about my vote for McCain, even though I just scored 88% agreement with Jill Stein on that quiz going around. I'm definitely a liberal, but I think the past four years have justified the concerns of those who said Obama was too politically inexperienced to be an effective president. As I said in the other thread, he just doesn't have the people skills or the political savvy to be a unifying force, all his good intentions notwithstanding.

This time around, I think both options suck. We have a known quantity of ineffectiveness as an incumbent, and a scary robotic personality as challenger. Plus, the Republican party is so beholden to the far right at the moment I feel it would be irresponsible to give them too much power. So I'll go with policies this time around, even if Romney might be a better unifier than Obama, which I doubt.

I don't think Romney is going to steal many votes because of his personality, and I doubt that Obama has converted anyone who didn't vote for him last time on policy. This election may be closer than people (many of whom are wishful thinking types light on credibility*) keep insisting. A lot has to go well for Romney to overcome the irrationally exuberant turn-out machine, but Obama refuses to put him away, so you never know.

*Arlington excepted.

I don't think Romney is going to steal many votes because of his personality, and I doubt that Obama has converted anyone who didn't vote for him last time on policy. This election may be closer than people (many of whom are wishful thinking types light on credibility*) keep insisting. A lot has to go well for Romney to overcome the irrationally exuberant turn-out machine, but Obama refuses to put him away, so you never know.

*Arlington excepted.

Yeah, Romney hasn't even started (or is just starting) to spend his massive "warchest" (I hate that term) on TV ads. I don't think we've seen the full effect of money on this election yet.

Spending outrageous amounts of money may reinforce his "rich, out of touch guy" MO. It's going to be virtually impossible to overcome "Let GM Die" in Ohio.

Yeah, Romney hasn't even started (or is just starting) to spend his massive "warchest" (I hate that term) on TV ads. I don't think we've seen the full effect of money on this election yet.

May be too late. It's possible people are locked into their vote. Seems like there is only a 6-8% undecided in most polls. His ads may just piss people off.

There are a number of voters in this country that will vote for Obama because he's going to win. Either they want to vote for a winner, or know nothing at all about the election in general and will vote for the guy everyone says will win. They don't care about personality or policy. I'd say this number could be as high as 5% of voters

Last edited:
Then you must be voting for Obama as Romney has given no specifics. The only one with specifics drops taxes on the Top 3% while increasing taxes for people making $75-150,00/year.

Actually my bad, he's given every side of every policy.

May be too late. It's possible people are locked into their vote. Seems like there is only a 6-8% undecided in most polls. His ads may just piss people off.

Seriously. I know you commented on the manufacturing ad that is blatantly misleading... but that has started to get continuous play up here in Orlando and it drives me nuts...

First, i check their birth cert; then skin color, then religion, then their (perceived) bank account size.

The "grading Obama" thread got me thinking about this: When you're deciding how to vote, do you look more to the candidates' policies or their personalities?

I'm probably in the minority in looking to personality first. Perhaps this is because I tend to think most of what candidates say in a campaign is BS. Even if they believe what they're saying, they're not going to be able to do most of it. Each day of the next four years will hit them with so many unanticipated circumstances (especially for a first-term president) that, to me, it's more important how they'll be able to deal with the unknown than what they'd do in an ideal world. Of course, I include character in the concept of personality. Terrible character trumps even the most congenial, flexible, hard-working personality. But I don't impugn a candidate's character just because I disagree with his policies. I think it's an unfortunate aspect of current political discourse that the two are so often shoved together.

This is why I still feel good about my vote for McCain, even though I just scored 88% agreement with Jill Stein on that quiz going around. I'm definitely a liberal, but I think the past four years have justified the concerns of those who said Obama was too politically inexperienced to be an effective president. As I said in the other thread, he just doesn't have the people skills or the political savvy to be a unifying force, all his good intentions notwithstanding.

This time around, I think both options suck. We have a known quantity of ineffectiveness as an incumbent, and a scary robotic personality as challenger. Plus, the Republican party is so beholden to the far right at the moment I feel it would be irresponsible to give them too much power. So I'll go with policies this time around, even if Romney might be a better unifier than Obama, which I doubt.

You had me until you said you still feel good about your McCain vote. McCain in the last few years has been totally erratic, and his choice of running mate was ludicrous. But to your question, I've been ringing the bell about likeability being the deciding issue for voters for quite awhile on this board, and have been told I was wrong by more than a few on the right. Obama will win because he's more likeable. And part of what makes him more likeable is that his opponent becomes more unlikeable the more feeble his campaign appears.

Back