• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VT Post Game Thoughts

What does everyone thing about the refs stopping the game multiple times at the end to check possession and clock, effectively giving VT two more time outs?

Don't like it but it is pretty standard practice.

I'm of the opinion that Roundtree needs to get all of Leonard's minutes at the 4.

I still think Leonard is valuable when he is making shots, but outside of that he really disappears. Unfortunately for us we have so few people that can make an open jump shot that we need him in the rotation is nothing else for a heat check.

Also Leonard doesn't have a turnover in ACC play, there is some value to that. On offense I'd take Leonard over Tree every single time. Tree is low usage/no creation but also inefficient when he does shoot. I do think he is a good passer with good vision, but he isn't creating enough baskets (16 assists total on the year) to make up for his other deficiencies on offense.

Rebounding Tree is a bit better, but both are quite terrible. For guys in a big man rotation Tree is a 2.5/10 and Lenoard is a 1.5/10 rebounder

i just dropped into this thread to say, good Lord, Buzz Williams has the fattest head I've ever seen.

Not going to criticize Manning for taking a timeout to make sure everyone was on the same page for an end-game situation considering how the last few close games have gone for us.

We didn't let Adam Smith shoot it which was half the battle, even if Bibbs did get a pretty good look. Bibbs shoots a nice percentage but barely takes half as many 3's as Smith and isn't nearly as clutch.

Also Leonard doesn't have a turnover in ACC play, there is some value to that.

How did Leonard not get a TO when he dropped the ball at the end of the Syracuse game?

I thought we played 'under control' more consistently as well as we have all year. 9 total TO's for the game attests to that.

I was especially pleased with DT, who after an initial start at trying to do a bit much, settled down and let the game come to him. His passing out of the post was essential, given they doubled him almost every time the ball hit the post.

Having only a +4 edge on the boards is an interesting stat given our overall height advantage. That and FT % were my biggest 'disappointments'.

I hope that MW can learn to create his shot off the bounce as he continues to mature here as a player. Looks like he's stronger than upon arrival...starting to bulk up a bit.

I like that it that MJ's minutes were valuable. If ACC play is a harbinger of his ball control going forward, that would indicate a large turnaround from his being so turnover-prone during the early part of the schedule.

I like the improvement I see from this team!

I am in the camp that coach's late timeout (while such a move could backfire pretty easily) was a good move given recent finishes.

It will be be fun to watch how our rotations change next year with the addition of the new class. If two of the three coming in are really ready for ACC play, that puts us in a much better place, IMO.

Last edited:
I think the issue I have with the timeout was that we ended up leaving a guy wide open for 3. We guarded the number one threat, but Bibbs is really their best scorer and he was WIDE open. Bz simply outcoached Danny on that play. It happens, and Bz is a great coach. I would still rather have Manning as I believe his recruiting upside is much much higher, and I feel good about his progression as a strategist.

Regarding Leonard: The reason he doesn't turn the ball over is because he literally doesn't do anything beside catch and shoot. He doesn't feed the post, he doesn't receive the ball in the post with any regularity. So if he gets it he is either going to shoot it or just hand it back off to a guard. That isn't a bad thing, but it isn't incredibly productive either. I personally would much rather have Rountree as the 1st big off the bench to pair with either DT or Dinos, as I believe Rountree is a more complimentary piece to the team. Neither player is playing great basketball, but I see Rountree as providing more value. I think Danny is seeing the same thing as Leonard's minutes are trending down, and Rountree is getting a little more time off the bench. Rountree has averaged 15 minutes the last two games (one was a double OT) and Leonard has averaged 13 minutes.

Williams looked to pull something in his hip/lower back during the game jumping around. Kind of funny.

Leonard gets respect as an outside shooter (even when he's not making them) which is valuable and he's a better defender than Rountree. Rountree can do some interesting things on offense at times, but not often enough (maybe a product of our offense / personnel) for him to be a contributor imo.

Cornelius Hudson is developing into an important player for WF. He played the 2, 3, and 4 last game. His outside shot did not fall like normal but he did show some flashes of taking the ball to the hoop and either finishing or dishing to a teammate, which was one of the things that had been missing from his game. Hopefully he continues to be willing to drive the ball as that'd expand his game immensely. He can handle the ball relatively well and routinely helps start the offense outside like a PG. Still needs some work on defense but he's made a few good plays on defense with steals and blocks. I'm excited to see his continued progression as a member of the team.

I like the volume of decent 3s Hudson is able to get off. That's a skill. I bet his percentages uptick a bit next season.

Cornelius Hudson is developing into an important player for WF. He played the 2, 3, and 4 last game. His outside shot did not fall like normal but he did show some flashes of taking the ball to the hoop and either finishing or dishing to a teammate, which was one of the things that had been missing from his game. Hopefully he continues to be willing to drive the ball as that'd expand his game immensely. He can handle the ball relatively well and routinely helps start the offense outside like a PG. Still needs some work on defense but he's made a few good plays on defense with steals and blocks. I'm excited to see his continued progression as a member of the team.

It's great to have a wing with length and a decent shot who can elevate and get it off over people. One of the announcers (Capel or Odom) was saying he cannot put it on the floor and get to the rim all that well yet, but he will be able to soon. I think that is right. And he boards pretty well.

How did Leonard not get a TO when he dropped the ball at the end of the Syracuse game?

It was attributed to Codi, cause he made the pass and Leonard never got full possession of the ball...but that was totally Leonard's fault.

I realize that Va Tech plays small but it seemed a strategic adjustment to have Codi off the ball more and get it out of his hands. He was very effective Sat because the defense couldn't sit on his right hand. He is unstoppable with a seam in the half court.

Too much detailed monday morning analysis in this thread for me. This business about Roundtree v Leonard is frankly way overdone imo. Both players have had some positive contributions, and both have some areas of weakness. Neither for me is going to be a season long difference between winning and losing games. I'm probably over simplifying but this team has proven time and again that it can be tough when we make key shots, but that we struggle to create and hold game momentum either because we can't score consistently, or we have defensive lapses. Every team needs something you can rely on each game. We're not there yet. But all credit to MJ for making key ft's. A real surprise and very positive for all the guys to see it can be done. If our other guys can feed off the positive energy of a win, and gain some confidence, we may be able to pick up some more W's. But don't get too caught up in the W/L record. It's tough in our league when you struggle to score. Just appreciate that the new coaching is changing the character of the team, and our play, slowly but surely. Already looking forward to next season with a year under our belt, and an even fresher outlook. GO DEACS!

I wish Rountree was a better rebounder at this point. Would make the case for playing him over Leonard much easier. Not saying he isn't better than Leonard, but leonard can hit a couple shots a game, in theory.

The crowd looked pretty solid on TV. I'm happy that, despite some close loses, the vibe of the program remains upbeat. I think we are well on our way.

One of my buddies is a big UNC homer. On FB he's always talking us up and how much better we look with DM at the helm. Times, they are a changin. Thanks RW for four great years with Buzz....

Back