• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VW reliability/new car advice

My cousin just got rid of her Jetta after multiple problems with it. It also smelled like crayons.

#HumbleBrag

I specifically pointed out that it's a 3 series to avoid any confusion. Sure a 5 series or 7 series kicks ass, but not really what the OP asked about price wise. Also, I pointed at that it's all wheel drive because it may not have as much performance as its rear wheel drive companion. At least when I got it, you couldn't get the all wheel drive in manual.

Nice try, but I wasn't trying to be a d##k at all. My car cost less than a Toureg, pretty sure of that. Don't hate on the BMW bro.

The crayon smell indicates that you are in a banging auto from Deutschland. Accept it. Love it.

I have a Jetta that's going on 6 years old. I've had a few small problems but nothing major, and it drives better than anything else in its price range.

If you want a Jetta look to the previous generation. If you go with the 5 cylinder get one after they upgraded it to 170 hp (2007 I believe). The newer ones have definitely had some cost cutting, though the engines are mostly the same (avoid the "new" 4 cylinder base non-turbo engine like the plague). The cost cutting measures have been more toward fit and finish though - according to consumer reports the reliability the last few years has improved drastically.

LOL @ VW.

My daily driver is a Mercedes G-wagen. A steal at just over $100k.

I was actually reading TDIclub last night and it seems that a lot of the people on there were big TDI enthusiasts...until they got the new Golf. Maybe I'll just look at something on the used car market instead...although I think my dad prefers that I get a new car because you know its maintenance history.

The next Passat is being cheapened. Saw a preview the other day.

VW wants to be a volume pusher. Not that I ever liked VW very much but the way they are going they might as well just rebadge Skodas (oh wait thats what they already do).

Avoid VW at all costs. Actually, even if they're giving them away, they'll just end up costing you a ton.

I only half kid. I can't believe they've cheapened the fit and finish in the newer ones. How is that even possible? The 97 Jetta my ex-wife had was almost bulltproof mechanically, but every possible fit and finish issue you could imagine happened to that piece of shit. Molding fell off the doors. The seat frames broke. Handles and knobs would fall off. The rear view mirror fell off and was replaced 4 times.

Also, it made more wind noise as you drove down the highway than my Nissan Titan truck.

Oh and whoever said it's the most fun to drive in its price point, well you should really go test drive some other cars...

Why not just buy a Japanese car?
Generally, they are cheaper, more reliable, and less expensive to maintain.
I have owned American, German, English, and Japanese cars. For overall cost of ownership, the Japanese cars are the best values by far.

If you are looking at the VW GTI; look at the Mazda 3 (cheap), Mazdaspeed 3 (sporty), or Subaru WRX.

if price is a concern, now is not the right time for that. if her car DOES manage to last for another year, then that works (inventories will start building back up in july, but will still be low for a few months. by the end of the year, things should be basically back to normal). but prices are very high right now.

Yeah, my mom was at the Lexus dealership yesterday and said they had a single Toyota Landcruiser in stock and were expecting full sticker, $75,000, for it. Landcruisers are pretty serious gas guzzlers too.

Back