• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake ACC stats

Deac83

Reaction score
http://www.theacc.com/page/team-stats-m-baskbl-stat-crew

Relevant Wake stats (ACC games only)

CMM 5th in scoring
DT 11th

DT 3rd rebounding

DT 4th FG%
CMM 8th

MJ 1st in Assist/TO ratio (9 TO's)

DT 2nd Offensive rebounds
DT 4th Defensive rebounds

Some team stats

Wake 5th in scoring offense (how scary is that?)
Last in scoring defense

Last FT% - 61%

Last FG% defense

2nd rebounds per game
13th rebounds given up/game

5th in assists/gm

You have to tempo adjust these things. We play fast so any of the raw numbers (ppg, apg, scoring offense, scoring defense, etc.) are skewed.

The point was that he has a great deal of work to do to get where he wants to be. Not that everyone did not know that already.

He most likely realized early on that this unit, as currently constructed, wasn't going to be a world-beater, lockdown defensive stalwart, but he focused in on something that can be improved with a tweak in scheme, a concerted emphasis on effort and a consistent approach that rewards the desired effort with playing time. Danny Manning's success in making this team markedly better at rebounding is quite the achievement in and of itself.

Despite the fact that we are last in scoring defense and FG% defense, we have improved. At least we have periods where we play good D. They may not last long and they seem to disappear at inopportune moments, but they occur. I suspect Manning will develop the Deacs into a good defensive team over time. It is essential to championships.

Tulsa Kenpom rankings under DM
2013 Off. efficiency: 97.9 (223rd)
2013 Def. efficiency: 99.4 (137th)
Tempo: 67.7 (88th)

2014 Off. efficiency: 104.7 (167th)
2014 Def. efficiency: 96.3 (30th)
Tempo: 68.2 (79th)

Tulsa also is 124th in off. efficiency this year and 41st in def. efficiency, so it does seem that team at least was built with a defensive slant

The good news is a .500 record in the ACC will get us in basically any year, with how brutal this conference is and will continue to be moving forward. And I think there will be several instances where sub-.500 conference record teams will dance.

There was a ten-year period there where the ACC wasn't great and the Patriots weren't winning Super Bowls. Both are over

That game went against all our positive stats.

Team scoring.
CMM scoring
DT scoring and rbs
MJ with a pedestrian 4 assist and 2 to's

We've now won 3 of 4 in ACC play, only the 2nd time we've done this in 5 years.

As always if 'if's and buts were ....

It is interesting to think about how close DM has us to being a good (i.e. upper division team).

Usually it's a stretch to say 'we could have beaten dook or l'ville' to say we'd have a winning record etc. Those games we played well and scratched our way into them, but never had control.

Our 4 wins, so far, we've played with the lead even if we wound up hanging on with State and Miami. Usually you have wins that you could say, we really should have lost that game but these were games we controlled for the majority of the game, even is we are poor at closing them out.

Looking at our body of work and the relative consistency we've played with this year, only UNC and @GT were we out classed, we should have won @ Syr (9 point lead in the 2nd half), @ Clemson (12 point 2nd half lead), @ FSU (15 point 1st half lead and 8 point 2nd half lead early). In all of those games the home teams had to scramble to get to OT or hit the last second shot.

Based on all this we really should be 7-5 right now, with at least 9-9 in sight and one good upset away from 10-8.

As we approach this brutal stretch, if we were coming in at 7-5, I think we'd have expectations that we'd be able to steal one of the next 3. But coming off the last 4 years, with low expectations for this year, and not finishing off those other 3 games we are still in the mindset that we are pulling up the bottom of the ACC.

We've taken care of the bottom and middle of the ACC at home and our home losses are to the current #4, #9 and #12, which is pretty respectable.

What this amounts to is that we have played all season like the 6th or 7th best team in the conference, which is not too shabby when the top 5 are ranked in the top 12 of the country.

ETA: We've already won 2 games after January, in the last 4 years we won 7 (6 reg season ACC games) after January.

Last edited:
Just an impression, and correct me if I am wrong, but once Devin gets three fouls our inside defense - save for a minute or two of Andre (although he usually does not play that late) - pretty much disappears.

If you had told me at the beginning of the year CMM would be top 10 FG% :eek:

Just an impression, and correct me if I am wrong, but once Devin gets three fouls our inside defense - save for a minute or two of Andre (although he usually does not play that late) - pretty much disappears.

You are not wrong. At times, it becomes a layup drill when our perimeter defender is beaten off the dribble or doesn't get through a screen. Miami had several such baskets last night.

If we could have just beaten Delaware St, Clemson and Fla St we'd be 15-10 and 6-6 and playing for something. As it is, we are playing solely for that 10th seed or higher to avoid tournament Tuesday.

The flip side of course is that we weren't supposed to be anywhere near 5th offensively.
We're 10th in the ACC in offensive efficiency. The 3 players Manning brought in (Dinos, Wilbekin, and Leonard) are our 3 most efficient offensive players.

Per Wake SIO:

• Madison Jones leads the ACC in conference play with an assist-to-turnover ratio of 3.62 (47 assists/13 turnovers).

Also, WF has a three-game winning streak on VD games (most recently 2009)

Back