• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Athletics Financial Woes

Far-fetched I hope/pray, but if the virus comes roaring back next fall/winter and most or the entire 2020-2021 season is cancelled, Wake could be not only be paying Manning millions to stay home, but the new coach as well. And yes you could have a clause in his contract that he only gets paid if the team has a season, but doubt any coach worth his salt signs that thing w/o a guarantee of income

This shows the fatal error in Wellman's grand scheme to make Wake Athletics the premier venue for the grey-haired, wine and cheese crowd. Take out the entire fanbase with 1 virus. From nearly empty arenas, to completely empty.

New poster with 9 total posts trying to shift blame from Wellman to Currie and y'all just lap it right up?

I don't doubt that our AD is in financial dire straits...hopps revenue is way down and that is squarely on Wellman and his decade long wrecking of the program.

OP is probably full of shit, but after the last ten years of utter mismanagement at the highest levels of the University in regard to MBB, nothing would surprise me at this point.

The Athletics department should write a book with all proceeds going to Manning’s buyout. Foreword by Wellman.
Title: How to take a nationally recognized brand and turn it into a steaming pile of shit For Dummies.

Seriously, you couldn’t script this. Every major decision has been a disaster.

Seems like it would be easy to identify the new staff hired. Can’t confirm their salary but it’s a start to verify this information.

Pretty disgusting if true. I was just telling a friend yesterday that one of my biggest problems with Wake since I was there is that leadership aren’t good stewards. This would just confirm my fears.

What fears? That he’s adding staff to bring the Athletic Department into the 21st century? That he’s turning over some folks that have been there WAY too long with some fresh blood from the outside? How is that bad?

I call BS on the multi thousand dollar per night suite. The hotel rooms were dirt cheap in NYC after Christmas and before New Years. But, no telling what financial agony follows Randy Casstevens through life.

Exactly. We had what - 100 rooms? When you have a big block the hotel asks the planner to designate 3-4 attendees as VIPs that get upgraded.

What fears? That he’s adding staff to bring the Athletic Department into the 21st century? That he’s turning over some folks that have been there WAY too long with some fresh blood from the outside? How is that bad?

I missed that part. All I saw was that Currie hired a bunch of new people for $200K a pop. Who got fired? Seems like that could be verified, too.

Our Bball program has been dead for 10 years but sure blame the guy on the job for 10 months for the deficit. Thats a steaming pile of bullshit if you ask me.

I don't get on the board each day to enjoy the company and I wanted to confirm what i was told. Which I did.

I have been told today that the Current Athletic Director has been the issue not the recently retired Athletic Director.

The current AD has hired multiple new staff at very high salaries of over $200,000 per person. He also stayed in a multi thousand dollar per night suite for the Pinstripe Bowl.

He directed the staff to go well over budget for marketing to drive fans to football games.

Marketing makes sense.

And you don’t need to pay Athletics staffers 200K.

To do what? Plan events? Fundraiser? Hell, for perspective, how much does an assistant basketball coach make?

Back