• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2017-Regional Champs! On to Supers!

and that's another one in the books, sports fans.

tune in tomorrow as we take on Miami

Again, the argument was never "the world is over because we have to play an additional game," the argument was that the schedule unnecessarily mandated meaningless games and that the ACC's plan through the first part of the day yesterday to have Wake-Tech start at 10 P.M. or later was not intelligent.

So, can we agree that playing GT today turned out to be OK after all?

It was still a stupid game.

I'm glad that we didn't waste anybody. That's pretty much the only positive I see.

@DeacsOrDie We play Miami tomorrow at 11 in a winner take all game for the pod. Winner gets the winner of the State-UNC game on Saturday.

WF has a good baseball team; let's enjoy it when they play. That is the point of having a baseball program. It's OK if every game does not decide who is going to win the ACC tournament or the NCAA tournament.

When the season does end, essentially everybody on the team will go on to play games all Summer in a variety of Summer baseball leagues. Really did not get and still do not get the consternation over playing a game that didn't matter to the outcome of the tournament. Baseball players need to play games to stay at the top of their game. Obvious that when the game started the team was rusty after a lay-off, but the bats got going by the end, and WF takes a little momentum into tomorrow's game. Think the tournament would've been ridiculous had WF waited to Friday, played one game, lost and then gone home.

BTW, agree that the tournament format is flawed, and understand why WF essentially was not going to use its top 4 pitchers today regardless of the situation.

WF has a good baseball team; let's enjoy it when they play. That is the point of having a baseball program. It's OK if every game does not decide who is going to win the ACC tournament or the NCAA tournament.

When the season does end, essentially everybody on the team will go on to play games all Summer in a variety of Summer baseball leagues. Really did not get and still do not get the consternation over playing a game that didn't matter to the outcome of the tournament. Baseball players need to play games to stay at the top of their game. Obvious that when the game started the team was rusty after a lay-off, but the bats got going by the end, and WF takes a little momentum into tomorrow's game. Think the tournament would've been ridiculous had WF waited to Friday, played one game, lost and then gone home.

BTW, agree that the tournament format is flawed, and understand why WF essentially was not going to use its top 4 pitchers today regardless of the situation.

...but we're in a Tournament. 4/14 total games played in this Tournament will not impact the Tournament at all. We just played 55 games that are regular season games, why would we play pointless games in the ACC Tournament that doesn't help decide the ACC Tournament champion? It's a completely stupid and flawed system.

I enjoy watching Wake play baseball, but I don't enjoy watching us play pointless games.

If the ACC basketball tournament had two straight days of meaningless game I somehow feel like you would change your tune.

Clemson played Tuesday, lost, and now has to wait in Louisville for three days to play a meaningless game against Virginia tomorrow.

I'll let it go after this post, but the ACC butchered their scheduling tremendously. They could have made every game matter if they had just played the 1 seed vs. 3 seed in each pod first.

First pod championship game duke 1-0 top 3rd

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Thinking we are arguing past each other. Not defending the tourney format. Sounds like it will change in the future which is a good thing.

My point was that the format was set, and was not going to change once it started. Given those circumstances, didn't understand the calls here for WF to forfeit the game or bench every starter as if playing or other claims that the game was somehow going to adversely impact WF in the ACC or NCAA tournament. Baseball players need to play games. It's good that WF played a game after sitting since Saturday.

I will also drop this after this last example. Many small baseball conferences play their conference tourneys the week before the major conference tournaments. So they have an extended layoff before the NCAA tourney starts. In recent years, the winners of conferences like the Patriot and Ivy Leagues League will schedule an impromptu post-season three game series just to keep the players sharp and in form for the NCAA tourney because playing games is better than sitting. The games don't mean a thing as both teams have already clinched NCAA bids; the games are essentially exhibition games, but it's just helpful to play.

So, even if the tourney format is stupid, playing today's game made sense for WF.

Back