• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2017-Regional Champs! On to Supers!

That's somewhat of a surprise.

Is there possibly a thought of get up really big early and then turn it over to the lesser guys in the bullpen to keep Johnstone on Monday a possibility? Probably not, and will just ask Johnstone to go as long as he can, but worth thinking about if we come out and hang crooked numbers early on.

I agree with the latter part of this. I like the idea of throwing Johnstone tomorrow because of the huge (obvious) advantage of playing after a first round win. We don't want to be in a situation that requires us to win three straight or go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's somewhat of a surprise.

Is there possibly a thought of get up really big early and then turn it over to the lesser guys in the bullpen to keep Johnstone on Monday a possibility? Probably not, and will just ask Johnstone to go as long as he can, but worth thinking about if we come out and hang crooked numbers early on.

win game 1 by getting as much out of Johnstone as possible

then win game 2 by getting as much out of Dunshee as possible

the remaining pitchers on the WF roster are better than pitchers 4-?? on the rosters of WV, MD, and UMBC

get cute with pitching in game 1 and we could risk being in the losers' bracket

Sellers and Johnstone are roughly equivalent in the numbers, there has just been less run support for him.

This is an interesting move in my opinion. I was pretty sure we would throw Sellers.

Sellers and Johnstone are roughly equivalent in the numbers, there has just been less run support for him.

This is an interesting move in my opinion. I was pretty sure we would throw Sellers.

One of the BA guys had said this was the way he would go (start Johnstone) due to Sellers' having significant experience out of the pen. This way, if you need a non Roberts pitcher in a key spot either Fri or Sat, Sellers is at least an option.

(Obviously, you hope Sellers can be saved for the 3rd game, but this at least does give you that type of flexibility.)

Last edited:
And then what, go with Sellers still to start on Sunday or Monday even if he's used on Friday/Saturday? Or just go with "Staff" to get through a Sunday/Monday game with Loepprich getting a start and then relying on middle-inning guys, with Seller included, to get through?

So many ways to play it.

And then what, go with Sellers still to start on Sunday or Monday even if he's used on Friday/Saturday? Or just go with "Staff" to get through a Sunday/Monday game with Loepprich getting a start and then relying on middle-inning guys, with Seller included, to get through?

So many ways to play it.

I think the latter. Basically the value of going 2-0 is so high that it makes sense to go all out to win them, even if it means you cant start Sellers at any point. If we go 2-0, we will be facing other teams depleted pitching staffs as well, and given our offense, think we have the advantage there, even if we are forced to go with an all hands on deck approach later in the tourney.

I think the latter. Basically the value of going 2-0 is so high that it makes sense to go all out to win them, even if it means you cant start Sellers at any point. If we go 2-0, we will be facing other teams depleted pitching staffs as well, and given our offense, think we have the advantage there, even if we are forced to go with an all hands on deck approach later in the tourney.

yes, even if we have to exhaust starters 1, 2, and 3 to get to a 2-0 start, the team that we face will also have used at least 3 starters in its 3 games to that point

It would be funny if their uniforms were white short sleeve dress shirts with plain ties.

Don't Mormons have to wears longjohns under their clothes to enter the big Temple they have in SLC? And then diaper looking things on their heads to get to the "holy of holies" type place in the VIP section? Had a Mormon in the dorm next to me freshman year of college and we didn't get along at all, I used to have a good bit of material when he would get chippy with me. Anyway, that's a joke that BYU's athletic teams receive special treatment, guarantee you their football team has had a game goes past midnight during one of those late night time slots they are always in.

Personally I think you throw your ace at the first round opponent. When you get to this point, everyone has at least 1 stud pitcher. Do you really want to roll the dice thinking you can beat him with less than your ace? Not many teams have come back to win 4 straight games from that.

DeacWatcher;285726[B said:
onally I think you throw your ace at the first round opponent.[/B]0]Pers When you get to this point, everyone has at least 1 stud pitcher. Do you really want to roll the dice thinking you can beat him with less than your ace? Not many teams have come back to win 4 straight games from that.

If we can't beat UMBC's, or whatever the hell they are called, "stud" pitcher with one of our top 3 pitchers then we weren't going far in this tournament regardless. Just like many have already stated. I like
coach Walter's decision to throw Connor tomorrow

If we can't beat UMBC's, or whatever the hell they are called, "stud" pitcher with one of our top 3 pitchers then we weren't going far in this tournament regardless. Just like many have already stated. I like
coach Walter's decision to throw Connor tomorrow

This was the Ray Tanner philosophy when he was the man at SC. He got 2 titles out of it and a runner up for a third out of it. Hoping it doesn't happen with Walter and Wake but don't be over confident. Again remember everyone has an ace.

This was the Ray Tanner philosophy when he was the man at SC. He got 2 titles out of it and a runner up for a third out of it. Hoping it doesn't happen with Walter and Wake but don't be over confident. Again remember everyone has an ace.

We threw our ace in the first game last year, then we lost 22-2 to Texas A&M.

We're doing the right thing

You have to win at least three games to advance. Knowing that at least one of those games has to be against a team that isn't UMBC (who is far and away the worst team in the region) why would you throw your best pitcher against them?

UMBC doesn't have a stud picture anyway so. A 4.2 era against mostly 200 RPI level competition

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Back