• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2017-Regional Champs! On to Supers!

Per BA, 136 players in their top 500 high schoolers did not sign pro contracts and WF has 2; 443 OF/LHP Michael Ludowig and 448 SS DJ Poteet.

Roberts had another dominant start today on Cape. 6 innings, 1 hit, 0 runs, 0 walks, 6Ks. He's having a good summer and was named to the All Star team yesterday. If he can carry this form into the season he could have a big impact as a starter next year.

Wake rising JR Griffin Roberts started for @WarehamGatemen. Here's his stats for the summert:
5 GS
26 IP
1.73 ERA
30 Ks
4 BBs
19 H

Wake rising JR Griffin Roberts started for @WarehamGatemen. Here's his stats for the summert:
5 GS
26 IP
1.73 ERA
30 Ks
4 BBs
19 H

Love to see this. Hope he can carry it through to next season. Seems like he's gotten the control thing figured out for now.

I believe Peluse is playing in the Ripken League

Peluse has pitched well in limited innings for the Baltimore Redbirds (coached by Gavin Sheet's dad - Larry Sheets):

18.2 IP 16H 5 BB 16Ks 1 ER 0.48 ERA

Peluse was a top prospect as a junior in HS, and then had TJ surgery. He got stronger and stronger as the year went on. Assuming that he can stay injury free, got to love the potential 1-2 starting pitcher combo of Roberts and Peluse.

I'm pretty excited about our weekend pitching next year. The offense will obviously take a step back, so pitching will be huge for us to pick up some of that slack.

It's obviously early, but what are the expectations/goals for the team next year? Host a regional again? Just make it back to the tournament?

5 GS
26 IP
1.73 ERA
30 Ks
4 BBs
19 H

He had that many walks in one inning against Clemson as I recall. Good news the control is coming along

I'm pretty excited about our weekend pitching next year. The offense will obviously take a step back, so pitching will be huge for us to pick up some of that slack.

It's obviously early, but what are the expectations/goals for the team next year? Host a regional again? Just make it back to the tournament?

I think making the tournament should be the first goal for the team every year. Obviously hosting is big but a lot of things have to fall your way as only 16 out of 64 host. Miami being down this year helped Wake which probably won't be the case next year. We lose a lot of run support next year but have a lot of talent coming in. Roberts and Paluse (not eligible for draft yet) coming back are huge as that's the 1-2 part of the rotation right there.

After seeing Vandy, UVA, Rice, Stanford, etc in last 10 years, there's no reason we can't at least make the tourney every year and host in some.

In no way saying that we are exactly like Florida because they had possibly the best collegiate pitching prospects in 2017 and 2018 as their two main starters. But, the fact that they relied so heavily on pitching and defense to steer them this year could be a model for success next year for us even if our offense takes a step back.

Were we expected to lose a lot of run support after last year coming into this season?

I think our coaches are really damn good at coaching hitting. We got a lot of praise for that this season and after the season concluded (mainly for teaching exit "angle" - I forgot the proper term). We will be fine on offense next year I'm sure. Aiello could be the next Fairchild also.

Doubt that there will be many, if any, middle infield combos that are better offensively than Jake Mueller and Johnny Aiello. A lot easier to find OFs and corner infielders that can rake. While I agree that the WF offense may not lead the NCAA in home runs (like it did last year), the offense will still be very strong next year.

Aiello plays 3rd base. Mueller/Steel is our middle infield combo.

Back