• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball

Wakegrad

Reaction score
Any news on the team this year? Who will be starting where and if we are expected to have a good year?

In baseball, when the only team you're picked to finish ahead of is Boston College, that ain't good.

I don't expect Wake to be that bad at baseball this year. The ACC is absolutely loaded.

I don't expect Wake to be that bad at baseball this year. The ACC is absolutely loaded.

Nothing new there. Last year, we were 5 conference wins short of the 8th and final spot for the ACC Tournament. Not sure if the format is the same this year, with the new teams.

The schedule is conducive to winning lots of games as WF plays no OOC games outside of the Carolinas, and WF does not leave the State of NC after March 30 as the last 25 regular season games, plus the ACC tourney are all in NC. Also, WF avoids playing Miami in the ACC. WF loses its top two starters, but returns 5 other pitchers that made starts. Also, WF returns two of its best offensive players (Matt Conway and Evan Stephens). If a couple of freshman step in and play well right away, WF could get back to the NCAAs.

Isn't MD usually horrible too? that really isn't good.

Maryland has been better the last 2 years, but still didn't make the ACC Tournament last year. I believe their coach was an assistant at Vanderbilt, before coming to Md.

As I have heard, Coach Walter asked the school to use scholarship moneys for qualifying Baseball players to increase the financial aid( much like Vandy is currently doing) and the school refused. Way to go Administration.

The acc tournament format this year is back to double elimination until the semis. I think everyone makes it. Schedule is four games a day.

As I have heard, Coach Walter asked the school to use scholarship moneys for qualifying Baseball players to increase the financial aid( much like Vandy is currently doing) and the school refused. Way to go Administration.

:rulz: That sucks.

This is true. Was flat out denied citing that the money is better served to go to other sources (which may be true)

ACC baseball really needs to ditch the divisions. They serve no purpose.

I'd like to go to a system like basketball but have 3 or 4 permanent rivals instead of 2. (Tobacco Road schools would all be permanent rivals of each other.) There are 10 ACC series per season and currently 14 ACC baseball teams although Syracuse is currently studying whether they should add one as well.

It may take awhile and some staff roll over, but Wake will eventually have to do this. If an ACC network ever gets up off the ground, ACC baseball will become more important.

So...we can never fire this guy because he gave his kidney to one of his players...right?

I do not follow wake baseball very close anymore, but how is 104-119 (45-74 in the ACC) over the past four years really doing a "damn good job?" Zero NCAA appearances and only two trips to the ACC tourney. Also, sounds like from above that we are expected to be pretty mediocre again this year.

I am honestly asking, this will be his fifth year with the program, so he has all of his own players. It is time for results.

The baseball team was in a terrible position when he took over. The team got absolutely shafted when they missed the NCAA tournament last year and the ACC is absolutely loaded. It sounds like a cop out, but by not giving financial aid to guys who don't have scholarships Wake Forest is absolutely at a disadvantage in the baseball area.

So...we can never fire this guy because he gave his kidney to one of his players...right?

Yeah that would be a PR disaster. But a coaching change wouldn't make any difference, we need to bring our financial aid package in line with our competition (Vandy, UVa, etc...). Until that is done our program is hamstringing itself recruiting wise.

Maybe the changes the Power 5 are trying to get from the NCAA will make a difference. If we can give more scholarships to baseball or "full cost of attendance" that would help.

Last edited:
Back