• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball

I don't understand what some of these bracketologists are looking at around the bubble spot. How is Wake that much different than BC or Duke right now? Wake is the third to last team in the tournament according to Baseball America, yet Duke and BC aren't in the bottom four? Washington and Ohio State are in the last four in and they're both in the mid-50's in RPI. Ohio State has five more wins but played the 159th hardest schedule compared to Wake's 19th.

Doesn't make much sense to me. Doesn't matter though, got three games left of our own to worry about.

I've tried to follow a lot of the bracket stuff this year with NCSU potentially getting to host a regional and can't make heads or tails of any of it. Once sentence I read makes a point for one team over another, and then it's ignored when discussing two other teams in the exact same scenario as was just mentioned above it. Baseball America has a hard on for the SEC teams (can't completely argue with that given the SEC's recent success) but they seem to ignore a bunch to help fit a narrative of getting in the teams they think have the most talent/prospects compared to the teams that have actually performed better. That may not make any sense but sure how it seems.

Such comments are so tired. Maybe WF baseball loses today; maybe they don't, but it has nothing to do with a win or loss in basketball or football or soccer or tennis.

THIS...The pissing and moaning just gets old...

Any way Dunshee goes Saturday on 3 days rest? He's our best shot and a warrior! Don't understand the hate. We came close to taking the series from both Clemson and UVA. Up until the U of L series, we were on a roll. Need Craig to get back to being himself and you never know...

Listening to XM before today's game the speculation was that last year teams with high RPI's but losing conference records were left out. Can't remember the examples. Would think 1 of 3 would get us in. If not we would have lost 6 of 7 going into the tournament and have a losing conference record so the committee would have an argument although it would be a weak one.

Yep UNC was left out last year with an RPI of 24 entering the tournament but with a losing conference record. The good news for Wake is that the ACC will put 10 teams in (which seems to be a consensus across the board on these sites) and only six ACC teams had winning conference records. So that leaves four spots open and five teams vying for them in the ACC:

UNC - finished t10th in the ACC, 15th in RPI, 3rd in SOS, 21-4 out of conference, 34-21 overall, 14 wins against top 50 teams
Wake - finished t10th in the ACC , 26th in RPI, 18th in SOS, 18-6 out of conference, 33-23 overall (with three games pending), 12 wins against top 50 teams
GT - finished 9th in the ACC, 20th in RPI, 13th in SOS, 22-4 out of conference, 35-20 overall (up 3-0 in 7th in play in game over BC), 13 wins against top 50 teams
BC - finished 8th in the ACC, 34th in RPI, 50th in SOS, 18-4 out of conference, 31-19 overall (down 3-0 in 7th in play in game to GT), 10 wins against top 50 teams
Duke - finished 7th in the ACC, 23rd in RPI, 14th in SOS, 19-7 out of conference, 33-22 overall, 10 wins against top 50 teams

These teams all have pros and cons in the "other" category as well:

UNC is 5-5 in last 10 and missed the ACCT because they got swept by Wake.
Wake could lose six of their last seven games overall.
BC has played well recently but their schedule wasn't as hard as other teams and they have the fewest number of top 50 wins plus the worst RPI
Duke lost to Wake today and lost the overall series 3-1. They've been hot recently at least.
GT is all but in IMO and I almost put them in the "lock" category but with a losing record I figured I'd toss them in. 4-6 in last 10 isn't good

So if it's really four teams for three spots (and to be clear I think all five of these teams should be in the tournament and I don't think it's particularly close on balance) you've gotta pick between Wake, Duke, UNC, and BC. Three go and one goes home.

I personally think that's the order they should be taken as well. Another note, and I don't know how you avoid this really, is that the two teams who end up winning this play in game shouldn't be punished for winning and playing three games against top 15 competition. If Duke or UNC ends up being benefitted by not having to play three games against top competition while Wake or GT gets punished for going 0-3 after using the best part of their pitching staff to get into the ACCT pool play, then that's ridiculous.

Last edited:
BC lost to GT 6-0.

Last year's Auburn squad may be a good comparison to us and Carolina. They finished 13-17 in the SEC and made the NCAA tournament with an RPI of 22. They won their play-in game and then lost to their other two games to top 5 teams. They were 12-18 against the top 50 going into the NCAAs. For comparison, we're currently 12-15 and UNC is 14-16 against the top 50.

Yep UNC was left out last year with an RPI of 24 entering the tournament but with a losing conference record. The good news for Wake is that the ACC will put 10 teams in (which seems to be a consensus across the board on these sites) and only six ACC teams had winning conference records. So that leaves four spots open and five teams vying for them in the ACC:

UNC - finished t10th in the ACC, 15th in RPI, 3rd in SOS, 21-4 out of conference, 34-21 overall, 14 wins against top 50 teams
Wake - finished t10th in the ACC , 26th in RPI, 18th in SOS, 18-6 out of conference, 33-23 overall (with three games pending), 12 wins against top 50 teams
GT - finished 9th in the ACC, 20th in RPI, 13th in SOS, 22-4 out of conference, 35-20 overall (up 3-0 in 7th in play in game over BC), 13 wins against top 50 teams
BC - finished 8th in the ACC, 34th in RPI, 50th in SOS, 18-4 out of conference, 31-19 overall (down 3-0 in 7th in play in game to GT), 10 wins against top 50 teams
Duke - finished 7th in the ACC, 23rd in RPI, 14th in SOS, 19-7 out of conference, 33-22 overall, 10 wins against top 50 teams

These teams all have pros and cons in the "other" category as well:

UNC is 5-5 in last 10 and missed the ACCT because they got swept by Wake.
Wake could lose six of their last seven games overall.
BC has played well recently but their schedule wasn't as hard as other teams and they have the fewest number of top 50 wins plus the worst RPI
Duke lost to Wake today and lost the overall series 3-1. They've been hot recently at least.
GT is all but in IMO and I almost put them in the "lock" category but with a losing record I figured I'd toss them in. 4-6 in last 10 isn't good

So if it's really four teams for three spots (and to be clear I think all five of these teams should be in the tournament and I don't think it's particularly close on balance) you've gotta pick between Wake, Duke, UNC, and BC. Three go and one goes home.

I personally think that's the order they should be taken as well. Another note, and I don't know how you avoid this really, is that the two teams who end up winning this play in game shouldn't be punished for winning and playing three games against top 15 competition. If Duke or UNC ends up being benefitted by not having to play three games against top competition while Wake or GT gets punished for going 0-3 after using the best part of their pitching staff to get into the ACCT pool play, then that's ridiculous.

Great analysis. BC is just not a very good ballclub. Definitely not one of the top 64 teams in the nation no matter what the RPI says and even though they won that series against Louisville. The Deacs (even though they dropped the series in Chestnut Hill, which if they won nobody would be having all these conversations about them being on the bubble), UNC and Duke are superior clubs top to bottom than BC. If BC gets in over either Duke or UNC that's horseshit. Carolina is a very good team, they have some dominant arms that if they get in the tournament could actually get them to Omaha.

A couple of other things to throw in are UNC blasted SC 15-0 earlier this year and for the first time in forever, Duke is decent in baseball. Their last NCAA tourney appearance was 1961. NCAA may show some mercy here.

Updated for yesterday's results:

UNC - finished t10th in the ACC, 15th in RPI, 3rd in SOS, 21-4 out of conference, 34-21 overall, 14 wins against top 50 teams (no games left)
Wake - finished t10th in the ACC , 25th in RPI, 18th in SOS, 18-6 out of conference, 33-23 overall, 12 wins against top 50 teams (three games left)
GT - finished 9th in the ACC, 19th in RPI, 13th in SOS, 22-4 out of conference, 36-20 overall, 14 wins against top 50 teams (three games left)
BC - finished 8th in the ACC, 38th in RPI, 49th in SOS, 18-4 out of conference, 31-20 overall , 10 wins against top 50 teams (no games left)
Duke - finished 7th in the ACC, 23rd in RPI, 14th in SOS, 19-7 out of conference, 33-22 overall, 10 wins against top 50 teams (no games left)

GT all but clinched a bid yesterday and was probably in anyway. BC probably out now, but it will likely just come down to who the committee takes between UNC and BC. I personally think Wake and Duke are now safely in.

Wake has McCarren going tonight. He started against Marshall last week and pitched pretty well and didn't start a game against Louisville. We're going up against a guy who is 11-0. Need to have a big night at the plate.

Also, from Baseball America here are teams that teams close to the bubble should be pulling for to win their conference tournament since they're likely going to be in the tournament anyway:

American: Tulane, East Carolina
Big East: Creighton
Big South: Coastal Carolina
Colonial: UNC Wilmington
Missouri Valley: Dallas Baptist
Northeast: Bryant
Sun Belt: Louisiana-Lafayette, South Alabama
Southland: Sam Houston State, Southeastern Louisiana
West Coast: Gonzaga, Brigham Young

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/projected-field-of-64-may-24/#g8WcpIgPk22yg8Su.99

Any triangle Deacs planning on making their way over to the DBAP this evening? Had a great mid-day break from work at the ballpark yesterday and will be rolling in with 3-4 others tonight.

I still think all 11 of the ACC teams are deserving. If UNC is left out it all but confirms nonconference play isn't important to the committee.

At this point I think it's pretty clear that Boston College has the weakest resume of the potential ACC bids. Whether the committee sees it that way is a different matter though.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I still think all 11 of the ACC teams are deserving. If UNC is left out it all but confirms nonconference play isn't important to the committee.

At this point I think it's pretty clear that Boston College has the weakest resume of the potential ACC bids. Whether the committee sees it that way is a different matter though.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I agree with this. I think all 11 should get in, but only 10 will make it, and UNC has a better resume than BC aside from missing the ACCT.

So wake(25 rpi) is considered "last 4 in" according to baseball America. The other 3 teams are OSU (57 rpi), Michigan (36 rpi), and Washington (50 rpi). Meanwhile they have BC (38 rpi) in. What's wrong with this picture? Just prepare yourselves. We gonna get screwed.

Back