• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Basketball Big Wins

Joshwake2013

Reaction score
Just wanted y'all's feedback. Do y'all think these big wins over State, Miami, and Unc do anything for recruiting?

I think it depends on what you mean by "do anything." As a program, we're pretty non-existent on the national scene, whether that is in print, online, or on television. Exposure, then, is a positive thing, especially given the fact that we recruit outside of the southeast. Furthermore, having local prospects at these games (Ingram and Giles were allegedly in attendance) provides an experience for recruits that we typically don't have and haven't had since Dino left. The better our team plays, the louder our fans cheer, and the more visible our program is, seems to be to be undoubtedly positive when it comes to recruiting.

I'm not convinced that the games themselves "do anything" beyond that. Carolina beat three top-10 teams on national television this year. Objectively speaking, an unranked team beating #19 at home isn't REALLY that big of a deal... Even if it's against a storied rival. Maybe Miami was bigger, but like others have said, our class of 2014 doesn't really support that conclusion.

Do wins over State, Miami, and UNC do anything to bring us back to the point where wins over State, Miami, and UNC don't do anything for recruiting?

I think it's probably more complicated than single games contributing to a recruit's choices to come here. Obviously if they come to a game and we have a good atmosphere and knock of a good team, it can be a positive experience. But if they're (likely) being recruited by other schools that have better atmospheres, even for smaller games, and they go out and blow out an opponent, that'd likely be equally or more impressive. The answer is probably that 17-18 year old kids probably care more about stuff we don't discuss as much about on the boards, like how hot the girls are, or whether there's a pizza place on campus.

Just wanted y'all's feedback. Do y'all think these big wins over State, Miami, and Unc do anything for recruiting?

Don't know. Unlike most around here, I generally don't:
-Pretend to know what high school kids I've never met are thinking
-Oversimplify things.

I don't know about those wins but I know that home-court loses to the likes of Stetson, Presbytarian and Nebraska don't help.

They obviously don't help, but no recruit that we are targeting for any future class has any idea about a loss to those teams from 3 years ago.

Back