• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Basketball Preseason Discussion

Thanks for the videos Spring Ckn!!

I definitely think Leonard will be useful. I hope he can rebound a little bit better than what his stats at Campbell indicate. Would really be nice if Andre has developed enough to play 10-15 mins at the 5 so Devin can play his natural position. But probably doesn't matter so much as the offense will likely go through the low-post more often under DM than Coach Redact.

As for Tree, he offensive game is very much limited. Hence why I think he'll start. I know it sounds strange, but I think Danny may just throw his best 5 defenders on the floor at the start and try to disrupt, frustrate and confuse the other team for the first 5-8 mins. If the offense sputters too much with only CMM, DT and one other viable option (Leonard most likely, but which guard?) on the floor, then I think you'll see G-Mac, Mitchell or Crab enter the game. And Dinos should be very useful off the bench when DT needs rest or someone gets into foul trouble.

Of course, we could go "big" and really try to suffocate teams with an active zone with CMM & Overton or McClinton at the top and a backcourt of DT, Leonard and Dinos. But then you're talking about a really methodical, limited bunch potentially on offense? Who knows? Leonard's presence, along with his versatility, as well as Dino's ability to drift out and spread the D could really help DT inside. He may become the force I think he's capable of becoming. But as you know as a former coach, if you can't shoot it consistently from the perimeter, you're going to have a tough time winning games.

Wilbekin certainly seems to have a smooth stroke and pretty good range if not a super quick release. I'm worried about his size in the first year, but with enough pick n' roll stuff, he'll definitely get some shots off. I could see him being used as a Tony Rutland type of guy off the bench his frosh year. Spot up jumpers and reliable ball-handling to keep the ball moving. But I don't think I see starting in his immediate future. Don't think there was one single dribble-drive or penetration other than some loose transition where he found the opening and pulled up (which is certainly good). He seems like a smart player who knows how to play within himself although that tape was pretty limited.

Well, we have numerous options in terms of players possessing a comparable skill set.

We need a reliable long range shooter and a strong rebounder. Hope someone emerges to fill those roles.

Just forget everything you know about returning players. They weren't coached before. They're getting coached now. Let's see what happens.

Agreed. They do possess experience and should understand how much work and effort will be required to succeed. I expect an emphasis on defense and would not be surprised if defense determines minutes.

Last edited:
I think Overton should get some decent PT this year. I really don't know what to expect out of the backcourt other than I expect Madison to get very few minutes. I'd rather have Codi play a hybrid 1/2 all day long over Madison.
Overton is fat and slow . And he's not the second coming of Jerry Schellenberg, who was a 6'6" small forward who got votes for Mr Basketball in Indiana.

Mclinton is the one of the top 3 players on the team, if not he best . I can't see him sitting much if he is healthy.

Did anyone go the open practice on Tuesday? If so, please provide a report on all the players .

Overton is fat and slow . And he's not the second coming of Jerry Schellenberg, who was a 6'6" small forward who got votes for Mr Basketball in Indiana.

Overton isn't really that chunky. But anyway, guards can be chunky and still be effective, e.g. Khalid El-Amin (5'10, 200), Deron Williams (6'3, 210), and not a guard but Carmelo ain't exactly svelte. But I just don't know if Overton has the dead-eye shot necessary to overcome his relative size and lack of athleticism.

5317f3bbbf1ea.image.jpg

I'm leaning toward a starting 5 of:

CMM
McClinton
Leonard
Devin
Dinos

Devin is going to be our post guy, period, though he may be called a PF. Andre is our only true C. But this gives us size and scoring as it appears Dinos and Leonard can both shoot from anywhere, and CMM is CMM. This should give Devin plenty of 1 on 1s down low since no one better leave those guys free. Tough to run out and bother 6-9+ 3 point shooters. McClinton in to guard the other team's best shooter and create some havoc, get boards, and garbage buckets, and we'll have to see how his offense is otherwise.

Wilbekin and or Madison spelling CMM at PG
Crab, Tree and Overton spelling McClinton, Leonard and Dinos
Andre spelling Devin
I'm probably missing someone, but those are my thoughts. But who knows. I just think Leonard has to play. He's the only other big body to help Devin on defense, other than Andre, and can help open up the lane on offense for Devin. That could be a pretty decent team.

CMM
McClinton
Leonard
Devin
Dinos

Devin is going to be our post guy, period, though he may be called a PF. Andre is our only true C. But this gives us size and scoring as it appears Dinos and Leonard can both shoot from anywhere, and CMM is CMM. This should give Devin plenty of 1 on 1s down low since no one better leave those guys free. Tough to run out and bother 6-9+ 3 point shooters. McClinton in to guard the other team's best shooter and create some havoc, get boards, and garbage buckets, and we'll have to see how his offense is otherwise.

Andre spelling Devin
I'm probably missing someone, but those are my thoughts. But who knows. I just think Leonard has to play. He's the only other big body to help Devin on defense, other than Andre, and can help open up the lane on offense for Devin. That could be a pretty decent team.

Don't think McClinton can play the 2 and Leonard isn't a wing player. Any kind of defensive pressure would lead to a lot of turnovers, have to have more than 1 guy that can dribble.

CMM
McClinton
Leonard
Devin
Dinos

Andre spelling Devin

I don't see that as a possible line-up Leonard can't cover SFs. Maybe someday Greg could become a SG, but he isn't now. Plus it would be too much pressure to put on him now. It's one thing to come back after a major injury as a frosh. It's quite another to do that and learn a position you've never played and are missing a major element of that slot.

I know Manning has a reputation as a big man coach, but we probably shouldn't start our entire viable front court and bench all but one of our guards.

I know Manning has a reputation as a big man coach, but we probably shouldn't start our entire viable front court and bench all but one of our guards.

I know, it is intriguing, however, to have 2 good shooters on the court at the same time, with both being big men. Just don't think that will work defensively.

I know, it is intriguing, however, to have 2 good shooters on the court at the same time, with both being big men. Just don't think that will work defensively.

Or with ball handling. That team could be pressed into submission.

That Manning commercial is pretty cool. Hilarious to compare it to the last 3 years when our coach wasn't ever shown on the video board or in any promotions at all.

Back