• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Boards - recommendations and suggestions?

AMCDeac

Richard Joyce
Reaction score
So my girls are hitting me up for a wake board. They are 14 and 16 - both are around 5'4" or approaching 5'5"; at or just under 80 lbs (yes, we do feed them; expecting they will eventually hit 100 to 110). Imagine their friends will be bigger.

The boat (SeaRay Sundeck 240) pulls them up on water skis no problem - like they are not even back there. Makes a good wake, too. But not as fast and maneuverable as the boat you would pick for dedicated skiing and wakeboarding. Doesn't have a tower.

So what can you tell me about wake boards? (I pre-date them, so know nothing) Possible to wake board behind the boat, or do I need something that gets out of the hole even faster? Is a tower necessary? Suggestions for picking a board? Assuming the size board for them wouldn't work someone more than twice their weight, correct?

Thanks.

Wake boards power rankings

1) OG Boards dot com
2) the other one (Scout, I think?)
3) Rulz board

OGB Boards 2 is the next evolution of secure P2P communication.

Please PM TenaciousKory for an invite.

We are fast approaching our Alpha Release limit of 8 members on OGBoards 2.

You don't need a tower when they are first learning, but once they figure out you really need one to enjoy it and also to ease lower back strain. I got one from BigAirTowers, I think I bought it through storemyboard.com or something like that. I installed it myself in a day in the driveway, though I'm relatively handy and needed my neighbor to help for like a total of 20 minutes at various points.

As far as the boards themselves, I got my then- 6 year old the Liquid Force Fury 115 youth below and he was maybe 45 lbs and it was a little big for him but he figured it out pretty quickly. It might be borderline for 80 lbs though. A 120 is going to be for an older kid, but as a teenager it still might be too small but they will control it better. I might go with a 125 as a bigger board for stability, though they won't be able to control it as well at first.

83504-DEFAULT-l.jpg

The other thing is that a deck boat will get them up no problem, but it isn't going to generate a massive wake or anything for them to really get into tricks. You can buy aftermarket fat sacks (insert your mom joke here) that you fill with water in the back of the boat to get its ass down in the water to produce a bigger wake, but it still won't be like a Malibu or Moomba that you can control via the outdrive position. But I wouldn't even think about getting another boat just for wakeboarding until you are absolutely certain that they are hooked on it, your boat will do just fine for the basics, especially if you put a tower on it.

So I bought two boards Saturday night on a bit of a whim when we stopped in a local store and the owner knew a good bit about boards. I ended up with a Liquid Force Witness 140 with some nice boots for me and the ladies in the house got a Liquid Force Angel 134. He described these as more intermediate in characteristics but they were easy enough to get up on so I guess we have room to grow. Great fun on the water yesterday and beats out water skis - don't see much skiing in the future.

I will look into towers, perhaps find someone on the lake so I can experience how they are different, and maybe get one installed while the boat is off the water for the winter.

Appreciate everyone's help.

I read that entire post trying to figure out wtf he was talking about, thinking message boards the whole time. Creepy

As far as the boards themselves, I got my then- 6 year old the Liquid Force Fury 115 youth below and he was maybe 45 lbs and it was a little big for him but he figured it out pretty quickly. It might be borderline for 80 lbs though. A 120 is going to be for an older kid, but as a teenager it still might be too small but they will control it better. I might go with a 125 as a bigger board for stability, though they won't be able to control it as well at first. [/IMG]

Not worried about my youngest - she is 14.5 year old, 90 lbs, athletic and aggressive. (For the sake of bragging, she is currently kayaking Class 5 water in a play boat with ease and throwing crazy tricks with the best kayakers in the world so she is a complete badass.) My oldest is way more timid. Closer to 75 lbs and about 5'4" (so she is a beanpole, too). She got up after a few tries on the 134 we just bought but didn't have control. Concerned that as soon as her younger sister returns from her kayak summer and starts killing it on a wakeboard, my oldest will give up. Can you think of a "best" size or board for the oldest/smallest? I want her to be able to ride behind the boat with some confidence/stability but I don't anticipate that she will be doing tricks. Get up easy, go straight with stability, maybe turn side to side within the wake a few times is a good goal. Is the bigger board better for getting up and stability even if it is (maybe?) way too big for tricks? (Oldest is still awesome in her own ways though - she hates every sport except snow skiing so she has turned into a downhill ski racer. Honestly, not competitive compared to high school peers (much bigger and stronger) but she loves it so we support that in every way imaginable.)

On towers, I was checking out the Monster towers and they seem like a good match for the boat. From what I can tell online, they also mfg for SeaRay but at a much higher price point. For their aftermarket product, I am looking at about $2k+ all in with a new bimini top, so probably going to wait until the winter and have it ready for next season.

Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions.

Last edited:
+1 on Liquid Force. I am a recreational rider, not doing backflips or anything, and have been riding a 139 since I was a beginner.

I would think a 134 would be too big for both of your daughters, especially if they are beginners. I would look in the 125-130 range for them when it comes to size.

I've ridden a few friends' boards and for me the difference isnt really the length, but mainly the shape. For a beginner you want a nice soft nose shape, not one of those more channeled batman looking noses. Those are made to really carve and when you put an edge in, you really take off.

You can see the shape comparisons in images below. 2nd obvs the more advanced board. Agree w 2&2 that beginners dont need a tower. If they learn to ride and jump the wake and are still into it then consider buying an add on tower.

rant-120.jpg

liquid-force-remedy-ft-wakeboard-2017-134.jpg

Thanks, will look into another board for the girls. Will hold off on the tower for awhile.

Back