• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake / Bucknell Game Thread

Wow. So he's a gorilla and acknowledging he's undersized at the 5 spot is an "excuse."

These comments are doing a pretty good job justifying Devin's frustrated twitter responses. I'll take a guy who cares too much to let this stuff go over a guy who doesn't give a shit any day.

Holy Fuck, I didn't say he was a gorilla. I said sometimes he unnecessarily pounds his chest and I think the refs see that then look for shit to call fouls or techs on. To make my point I used a gorilla analogy then switch it to a peacock because someone threw an Al Sharpton picture at me.

Let's all completely ignore the second thing I noted, that Devin actually showed some maturity on the court after he accidentally smacked an opposing player. A year ago he would not have done that. I think he is making progress that people aren't acknowledging here, but he doesn't help him self by screaming and staring down opposing players after a made lay-up. Having guy who cares too much vs. a guy who doesn't give a shit is a false dichotomy and doesn't represent a choice we have to make. We have Devin, who has got some skills and is improving his demeanor, but he's still needs to make progress.

Devin Thomas @dthomas_2 · 9m 9 minutes ago
@BloggerSoDear yelling at your teammates is different from running your mouth. So how bout you stop running your mouth so much for once.

Devin Thomas @dthomas_2 · 6m 6 minutes ago
@BloggerSoDear you feed the public inaccurate information half of the time.

What the fuck Devin! I wonder if coach is going to get in his ear for pulling a stunt like this. How embarrassing!

This thread is awesome. A lot of cheap shots. It's one thing to criticize a kids play which is in bounds. A lot of out of bounds cheap shots here. Devin needs more maturing but berating the kid's character on an anonymous message board is uncalled for in my opinion.

We would do a lot better as fans if we stick to basketball and let Manning try to fix bad attitudes. Who knows if Devins attitude can be fixed but that is mannings job, not ours. We don't know what is going on in that situation.

We are very inclined to give Devin the" benefit of the doubt" here. He should be our best player, so we want him to do well.

My two cents worth here, in all honesty he came pretty close to what could have been called taunting after one of his scores. There is no excuse for his repeated behavior as it is hurting the team. Actually, I am as disappointed in his game as I am his attitude. I see no meaningful improvement since his freshman year. He is totally a one-dimensional offensive player(power move to his left). If he has developed a step back jump shot, I haven' seen it. The one time he tried a power move to his right, he didn't even draw iron. The free throw shooting is another matter as well. He needs to rein in his emotions and work on his game or he'll be spending the majority of his senior as a bench player.

If I was a post player like Devin and had to play with our miserable guard perimeter game my head would pop off too. Our guards suck and it affects everything we try and do offensively.

My two cents worth here, in all honesty he came pretty close to what could have been called taunting after one of his scores. There is no excuse for his repeated behavior as it is hurting the team. Actually, I am as disappointed in his game as I am his attitude. I see no meaningful improvement since his freshman year. He is totally a one-dimensional offensive player(power move to his left). If he has developed a step back jump shot, I haven' seen it. The one time he tried a power move to his right, he didn't even draw iron. The free throw shooting is another matter as well. He needs to rein in his emotions and work on his game or he'll be spending the majority of his senior as a bench player.

Yep. A play where he airmailed a layup into the bottom left hand corner of the backboard. He then tapped it back in as if it was a pass to himself - when it clearly was not. Notably he is 6'9" (really 6'7") and he wasn't anywhere near the rim. Of course, he subsequently yells in the skinny white kid's face after the play. Be emotional - but also act like you've been there before - especially when you are playing some Bucknell scrubs.

Instead of talking trash to BSD. . . learn how to make an outlet pass. I've seen enough double clutching a pass, looking around, nearly walking, dribbling three times until you almost turn the ball over, then making the same pass you should have made 5 seconds earlier. I know DT played for Buzz the past 2 years - but common sense should indicate that it ruins any chance at a transition bucket.

This thread is awesome. A lot of cheap shots. It's one thing to criticize a kids play which is in bounds. A lot of out of bounds cheap shots here. Devin needs more maturing but berating the kid's character on an anonymous message board is uncalled for in my opinion.

We would do a lot better as fans if we stick to basketball and let Manning try to fix bad attitudes. Who knows if Devins attitude can be fixed but that is mannings job, not ours. We don't know what is going on in that situation.

Agree 100% - his recently play has snowballed into a funk and his frustrations are obvious when you watch him play. Starting with the week of Thanksgiving he's had 1 good game (Samford 19pts, 8 rebs) and quite a few stinkers. Devin also took it pretty hard when Buzz got canned and when Cav & Moto bailed so i'm sure he went into this season knowing he and Codi had to carry the load. Hopefully a few days off can clear his head.

Not trying to excuse the showboating or the tweets. No place for either.

Chas, Devin and Roman Harper are the worst!!!!

Imagine playing with guards and wings who hit roughly 1 out of 13 or 14 shots outside of 18 feet...I would have a bad attitude too.

Why in the fuck would anybody coddle Devin Thomas at this point?

Why in the fuck would anybody coddle Devin Thomas at this point?

not for coddling. just hoping Manning can get him playing better. Like it or not he's here for another year and a half and no matter how good next year's freshman are out of the gate, we need him playing well to be worth a shit.

Nothing we say on here will help him play better or not. That said, I just don't get people defending a guy that is clearly a cunt just because he happens to wear the jersey of the team they happen to root for.

Hope for him to do well, of course, but defend his cyclical bullshit? Nope, I don't get that.

I just watched the replay of the Bucknell game. The game was further proof that Devin and CMM are really the only ACC-caliber, non-freshmen on the team.

1) CMM is working on his shot. He had a couple threes and a few nice midrange shots. Most of his misses came in the second half when our offense bogged down due to no spacing on the floor from no post offense. He is clearly being encouraged to take this jumpers and we really need him to do it for us to be a better team.
2) Devin is a good ACC post player. He's great as a 4 but he's burdened by the fact that we don't have another banger on the floor with him. He had some great moves in the game, some didn't fall. He's an emotional, fiery player and plays hard every possession. He needs to check the outbursts a bit but without him, we are lost. On getting thrown out, Devin was yelling at his teammates to stop jacking up 3's - he wasn't complaining about being boxed out. However, reputation bit him there after he had the elbow and had yelled a few times earlier in the game.
3) McClinton had a break-out game, mostly in Devin's absence. Hopefully he can step up like this for the season.
4) Those criticizing Manning really ought to think about the fact that we won this game without any post players for the last 12 minutes of the game. Devin was gone. Dinos had 4 fouls and was on the bench forever until he fouled out. Leonard was our big man.
5) We won the game because of defensive intensity. You're really starting to see Manning's coaching on that end. Our players swarmed to loose balls and swatted at everything.
6) Hass is a great player. Would love to have him as a 3 on our team.
7) The future is bright with Manning. If he can keep it up on the recruiting trail, he has the coaching ability to win games.
8) I like our freshmen, including redshirt McClinton, and think they will be good in time. Manning did a great job in making over the roster in short order after coming in.
9) We are an awful free throw shooting team.

Add the 201X Deacs, children of the 8X Deacs, to the list of growing issues with the 8X Deacs.

disney-peter-pan.jpg

No such thing. I thing what you're looking for is 201X Tribe.

Nothing we say on here will help him play better or not. That said, I just don't get people defending a guy that is clearly a cunt just because he happens to wear the jersey of the team they happen to root for.

Hope for him to do well, of course, but defend his cyclical bullshit? Nope, I don't get that.

so much of this

Not sure what to make of Devin, but it would be amusing to see what happened if you called him that to his face.

Back