• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Camp/ Hotel Question

awakegirl

Reaction score
I asked a little about this last year, so thanks for indulging me again. Bit the bullet and signed up my 10-year-old basketball fanatic and all-around Wake sports lover for Steve Forbes camp in June. Whenever I go a game at Wake, I end up staying with friends in Charlotte or Raleigh, so I have never stayed in a hotel in Winston. I'd like to be as close to campus as possible. Looking for something nice since I'll be hanging out there all day working while my son is at camp. Doesn't have to be fancy since this is a trip with a 10 year old boy, but clean, updated, close to some good dining options? I figured this was sports-related, but mods, happy to move it if it belongs elsewhere and thanks in advance. Will update everyone on Forbes' credibility at camp :)

Not sure you get close to good dining and close to campus.

Your best bet close to campus is the Courtyard near the coliseum or Graylyn.

For better dining and activity while not too far from campus, look downtown at the Kimpton, Marriott, or Brookstown Inn.

Last edited:
Not sure you get close to good dining and close to campus.

Your best best close to campus is the Courtyard near the coliseum or Graylyn.

For better dining and activity while not too far from campus, look downtown at the Kimpton, Marriott, or Brookstown Inn.
Thanks! That is helpful. I'm going to rent a car, so I can deal with taking one or the other, but I would have had no idea, so that's very helpful. Obviously, I'm pretty pumped. I told him if he didn't foul out of a game this year I'd let him go and he has reminded me on multiple occasions, so I'm excited to tell him we're good to go. Of course this means he will absolutely foul out of a game this week. Guarantee. Also, fav player is Hildreth (don't tell 22!) and has asked me at least 50 times if he might be there...so hoping that's a yes!

Yeah, those hotels near the Coliseum are nasty, including the Courtyard.

Kimpton Cardinal Hotel and Hotel Indigo are the nicest and newest downtown and Brookstown Inn is a great option too.

Yeah, those hotels near the Coliseum are nasty, including the Courtyard.

Kimpton Cardinal Hotel and Hotel Indigo are the nicest and newest downtown and Brookstown Inn is a great option too.
Graylyn too? But ty. I’m def not a good fit for a nasty hotel 😂

No, Graylyn's fine. Some parts of the hotel are more dated than others in my experience though.
Booked Kimpton. Have to work there all day, so this seemed like the best option. Thank you so much for the honest assessment.

Ah memories of my youth. I was 12, but went to my one and only Dave Odom camp in 1991 and saw Randolph Childress tear his ACL in a pickup game they were playing in front of the campers. I hope all ligaments remain intact this summer.

Big thank you/ update. We got in yesterday and even after a redirected flight that went to Chicago and then Raleigh, we got to see a lot of the game, which my son said was the best sporting event he’s ever been to. Ty @wake for the tickets. They were awesome seats. Way beyond my wildest expectations. Unfortunately, my son punctured his eye walking to dinner with an umbrella, but we spent the night in the ER with the kindest doctors and he got to go to camp today (with goggles). The Kimpton is perfect, so thank you for that suggestion too! Watching my little guy walk through the Shah complex and take it all in this morning was awesome. He’s never seen anything like that. We were both blown away. Thanks again to the board and Go Deacs!

I got a kick out of watching Cam play all the kids 1 on 1 this morning and showing no mercy. Stealing the ball and swatting away even the youngest kids shots. Don't think a single kid scored against him.

I got a kick out of watching Cam play all the kids 1 on 1 this morning and showing no mercy. Stealing the ball and swatting away even the youngest kids shots. Don't think a single kid scored against him.
It’s really good that I have to work because I’d like to just hang around all day and watch.

Back