• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football rated 9th hardest coaching job by the Athletic

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
“Wake Forest

First-place votes: 0

Like Vanderbilt, Wake Forest battles a trifecta of higher academic standards, lower budgets and lower enrollments than its conference counterparts.

“They never have a home-field advantage that can help win you a game,” one Power 5 assistant said.

This year, though, the Demon Deacons are one of 13 undefeated teams remaining and are a contender for their second ACC title since 1970.

“I think Dave Clawson has done an incredible job with what’s an incredibly difficult opportunity. The academic requirements at Wake Forest are high, and you’re maybe the fourth or fifth choice in your own state,” one agent said. “I also think that Wake struggles as an institution from a branding standpoint, in that I feel as though when you’re recruiting to Wake Forest away from the Mid-Atlantic/South, a part of the job is educating recruits on what Wake Forest is.””

1 Vandy, 2 Kansas, 3 Nebraska, 4 Texas, 5 Washington St, 6 Miami, 7 Auburn, 8 Tennessee, 10 Michigan

Duke job so bad that they forgot to even mention it.

9th hardest P5 job, 13th hardest job overall. UCONN, UMass, New Mexico State, Akron are the harder G5 jobs. Tied with UL Monroe.

“Wake Forest

First-place votes: 0

Like Vanderbilt, Wake Forest battles a trifecta of higher academic standards, lower budgets and lower enrollments than its conference counterparts.

“They never have a home-field advantage that can help win you a game,” one Power 5 assistant said.

This year, though, the Demon Deacons are one of 13 undefeated teams remaining and are a contender for their second ACC title since 1970.

“I think Dave Clawson has done an incredible job with what’s an incredibly difficult opportunity. The academic requirements at Wake Forest are high, and you’re maybe the fourth or fifth choice in your own state,” one agent said. “I also think that Wake struggles as an institution from a branding standpoint, in that I feel as though when you’re recruiting to Wake Forest away from the Mid-Atlantic/South, a part of the job is educating recruits on what Wake Forest is.””

1 Vandy, 2 Kansas, 3 Nebraska, 4 Texas, 5 Washington St, 6 Miami, 7 Auburn, 8 Tennessee, 10 Michigan

I get what they're saying with the home field, but I don't entirely agree. For instance the home crowd against BC in 2006 was awesome and I'm sure helped us in that game. FSU in 2007 and 2008 against Clemson are a couple of other examples, as there I'm sure are others.

I don’t subscribe, but why exactly is Michigan such a tough job? Lots of money, one of the best public school educations in the country, college town. I get that it’s cold and most people aren’t dying to move to the Midwest, but how is it any more difficult than, say, Ohio State or Wisconsin?

I don’t subscribe, but why exactly is Michigan such a tough job? Lots of money, one of the best public school educations in the country, college town. I get that it’s cold and most people aren’t dying to move to the Midwest, but how is it any more difficult than, say, Ohio State or Wisconsin?

Because it has sucked (relative to tradition) for the better part of the past 15 or so years. The fans expect the good old days, and the writers think Michigan ain't getting back to that.

I get what they're saying with the home field, but I don't entirely agree. For instance the home crowd against BC in 2006 was awesome and I'm sure helped us in that game. FSU in 2007 and 2008 against Clemson are a couple of other examples, as there I'm sure are others.

Picking out games more than a decade ago where we had a great home crowd proves their point. Our fans should go to the games, especially if they would like for Clawson to continue coaching the program.

Because it has sucked (relative to tradition) for the better part of the past 15 or so years. The fans expect the good old days, and the writers think Michigan ain't getting back to that.

I think you’re right but the logic doesn’t cohere. They have every advantage to being a major power and for that reason it should be far from one of the hardest jobs in CFB. Fanbase expectations? Ok. But with that comes passion for your school, money, recruiting advantages. Just use all that to go win.

This sounds like LOUM

Hard to disagree with a lot of that. I think we're trying on the game day experience. We go to all of them and have a great time. But college sports attendance is down nationwide and it shows even more at a small school like Wake.

Also don't disagree about the branding part. We held our own to an extent when the ACC was a smaller basketball first conference, but the lost decade in basketball really hurt our national brand. We had opportunities to build off some success in football and basketball in the 2000s and squandered it.

Still, fourth or fifth pick in the state for football? Carolina and State yeah, but Duke should be a push and how many guys are we losing to app st.? Maybe he meant UNCC.

Last edited:

same for texas

Bama is in the Texas/Michigan spot if they aren't winning

really impossible to separate the job from the current coach, imo

If Duke isn't one of the top 10 hardest jobs, then I guess Cutcliffe isn't quite the miracle worker that he's often portrayed as

Still, fourth or fifth pick in the state for football? Carolina and State yeah, but Duke should be a push and how many guys are we losing to app st.? Maybe he meant UNCC.

4th or 5th in the state is an exaggeration surely. I�d say we�re probably even with Duke in regards to football recruiting/program cache. We�ve won more consistently than them in the last 20 years and our admission standards are slightly (slightly) less limiting. I do honestly wonder why Duke wasn�t mentioned *at all*.

Major in-state rival who fights for every in-state recruit.

There are some weird omissions from that list:

Duke
Oregon State
BC (there is very little football talent in the northeast and what limited talent there is, wants to get the hell out of the northeast)
Cuse (see, BC)
Rutgers (see BC and Cuse)
Illinois

Maybe not in the top 10, but hard coaching jobs at Kansas State (Bill Snyder is other only one with any success ever), Colorado and Mizzou as well. Iowa State would've been in the top 10 hardest jobs until Matt Campbell, expect them to go back on the list when he leaves.

There are some weird omissions from that list:

Duke
Oregon State
BC (there is very little football talent in the northeast and what limited talent there is, wants to get the hell out of the northeast)
Cuse (see, BC)
Rutgers (see BC and Cuse)
Illinois

Maybe not in the top 10, but hard coaching jobs at Kansas State (Bill Snyder is other only one with any success ever), Colorado and Mizzou as well. Iowa State would've been in the top 10 hardest jobs until Matt Campbell, expect them to go back on the list when he leaves.

Yes, there’s no consistent methodology for the rankings, seems like the contributors were just naming schools off the top of their head

Huh? That's far from a unique thing, and is the case in 10+ states. Probably 15+. Also, aren't they supposed to be "little brother"?
The answer was in the context of comparison to Ohio State and Wisconsin. Neither of those B1G schools have another B1G team in the same state.

Back