• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Summer Thread

Glad this isn't striking us during the season, especially given how late into the year our bye week is.

Wimps. Rub some dirt on it and get back out there...

Yeah, what's a little puke and diarrhea on the practice field, just roll out the hose and wash it away after practice.:thumbsup:

Even easier with turf. Will the new indoor practice center have a puke and poop drainage system?

Even easier with turf. Will the new indoor practice center have a puke and poop drainage system?

Sure, just have a big drain in the center of the field that feeds right into the sewer system, this is football damnit not field hockey!!!

I think Cutcliffe has his nefarious hand in this somehow.

Wake Rivals posted a (free) video interview with John Wolford here:https://wakeforest.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1791369. It’s worth watching. Wolford is very well-spoken but also SO YOUNG. It’s hard to believe he is the veteran in the group.

(As a side note the camp coverage that Wake Rivals is providing has been really good so far. If you haven’t checked it out you should consider it.)

The Wolford interview also includes a bit of new info that I had been looking for. KJ Brent is competing at the S-receiver, and will also cover the X-receiver spot in the event of an injury. What does that mean? First of all two players now seem like locks to start: Tabari Hines will only have to beat out newcomer Chuck Wade and former walk-on PJ Howard to start at Slot, and Cortez Lewis has little competition at X other than newcomer Scotty Washington. So pencil them in as starters. The position to watch this summer is the S-receiver which apparently will be a 3-way battle between incumbent Jared Crump, post-grad KJ Brent and Tyree Harris (Steven Claude is also at that position). A month or so ago I thought Crump was the safest bet to win a starting spot, but that seems like anything but a sure thing now.

Apparently we have some speed! Seems like a long time since we had anyone who could break the long gain. Of course Camp could but he was injured so much.

So the first team offense is coming into clearer focus. Here is where I think things stand:

QB John Wolford (SOPH)
RB Open
WR-S Open (Jared Crump vs KJ Brent vs Tyree Harris)
WR-X Cortez Lewis (rFR)
SLOT Tabari Hines (FR)
TE Cam Serigne (rSOPH)

LT Phil Haynes (rFR)
LG Josh Harris (JR) OR Ty Hayworth (rJR)
C A’Lique Terry (SOPH) OR Josh Harris (JR)
RG Dylan Intemann (rSR)
RT Justin Herron (rFR)

The camp battles appear to be at RB (too early to declare Rocky Reid the starter), S-receiver, and that fifth OL spot between Ty Hayworth and A’Lique Terry.

Of the 8 starters penciled in so far, 5 are in either their first or second year in the program.

Cortez Lewis is becoming a very interesting story. Based on the fact that the staff put KJ Brent into competition with Crump instead of Lewis, it might be fair to assume that the staff views Lewis as their #1 outside receiver right now. That is quite an ascent for a redshirt freshman that missed a lot of practice last year following surgery in September 2014 to repair a torn labrum.

When Wake was recruiting Cortez Lewis I didn't follow things as closely as I do now, so I went back to refresh myself. He wasn't ranked very high at all - two star - but I wouldn't exactly call him an under-the-radar recruit. He had 14 total offers by the end of the process. Originally committed to Northern Illinois in the summer of 2013. Minnesota was the first P5 school to try and flip his NIU commit, but he would ultimately commit to the Grobe staff in November 2013 (together with his HS teammate Demetrius Kemp). He reopened his recruitment after the coaching change and took an official visit to Minnesota. He also scheduled a trip to Boise State (it's not clear if he ultimately made the trip or not) and considered other trips to Rutgers and Purdue. Based on the lack of info available, it's not clear to me how much we knew about his status going into NSD. Does anyone recall?

His Hudl highlights are still available here (note the first highlights are of him blocking - coaches must love that): http://www.hudl.com/athlete/711286/cortez-lewis

Cortez Lewis is becoming a very interesting story. Based on the fact that the staff put KJ Brent into competition with Crump instead of Lewis, it might be fair to assume that the staff views Lewis as their #1 outside receiver right now. That is quite an ascent for a redshirt freshman that missed a lot of practice last year following surgery in September 2014 to repair a torn labrum.

When Wake was recruiting Cortez Lewis I didn't follow things as closely as I do now, so I went back to refresh myself. He wasn't ranked very high at all - two star - but I wouldn't exactly call him an under-the-radar recruit. He had 14 total offers by the end of the process. Originally committed to Northern Illinois in the summer of 2013. Minnesota was the first P5 school to try and flip his NIU commit, but he would ultimately commit to the Grobe staff in November 2013 (together with his HS teammate Demetrius Kemp). He reopened his recruitment after the coaching change and took an official visit to Minnesota. He also scheduled a trip to Boise State (it's not clear if he ultimately made the trip or not) and considered other trips to Rutgers and Purdue. Based on the lack of info available, it's not clear to me how much we knew about his status going into NSD. Does anyone recall?

His Hudl highlights are still available here (note the first highlights are of him blocking - coaches must love that): http://www.hudl.com/athlete/711286/cortez-lewis

Minnesota was the only other school he visited. The others were cancelled.

Back