• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest #1 NBA Factory

AnonymousDeac

Reaction score
Assumed this would be a haas but didnt see it anywhere else. http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...-schools-best-worst-producing-nba-draft-picks

[h=3]The Top 5[/h]
1. Wake Forest
Picks: 10 | Actual EWA: 51.6 | Expected EWA: 23.5 | Net EWA: +2.8 per pick (+28.1 total)
154.gif
As a Demon Deacon myself, I promise I didn't rig this one. Promise! Really, the results speak for themselves. The smallest school in the ACC has produced some of the biggest names of our generation. After four years in Winston-Salem, Tim Duncan may go down as the best power forward of all time. No surprise, he has yielded 13.0 wins more per year than we'd expect from a No. 1 overall pick. Chris Paul, who spent two years at Wake Forest, remains the gold standard at the position and ranks as the best No. 4 pick in the 24-year study (plus-13.8 Net EWA).
But of course, there's more to it than Duncan and Paul. In 2003, 28 teams passed on All-Star Josh Howard (plus-3.4 Net EWA) before the Dallas Mavericks plucked him at No. 29. Elsewhere, Jeff Teague (plus-2.7 Net EWA) fell outside the lottery in 2009 and Darius Songaila (plus-1.3 Net EWA) dropped all the way to No. 49 before carving out a solid NBA career. Throw Rodney Rogers (No. 9 in 1993) and James Johnson (No. 16 in 2009) into the mix and you'll see a long line of hits and few misses (Al-Farouq Aminu at No. 8 in 2010 andRandolph Childress at No. 19 in 1995). Don't sleep on the Deacs.
Prospects to watch: Travis McKie and Devin Thomas.

maybe nitpicking, but i hate how people still hedge by saying Duncan "may" go down as best PF of all time. Aren't we about 5 years of still elite per minute production and team success past that debate?

I've actually reached out to Tom Haberstroh (author of the piece and Wake alum) and he agreed to do an interview with BSD, so I'm excited to hear what he has to say about the research that went into this.

Seems like one of these come out every year.

What is the longest stretch we've gone without an NBA Draft pick? Our last was AFA in 2010.

I still think about what "could have been" NBA wise, if Childress had not got that ACL injury.

I still think about what "could have been" NBA wise, if Childress had not got that ACL injury.

I'm not sure it would have made much of a difference. I think it's more of a matter of landing in the wrong places and him deciding to just go overseas rather than grind it out for an NBA spot. It's tough to make it as a 6-1 or so combo guard.

I'm not a huge NBA fan, but is Aminu considered a miss? In the little I see of highlights and stats, it looks like he plays a decent amount and puts up some numbers on occasion.

I'm not sure it would have made much of a difference. I think it's more of a matter of landing in the wrong places and him deciding to just go overseas rather than grind it out for an NBA spot. It's tough to make it as a 6-1 or so combo guard.

I know he had issues with the head coach Carlesimo in Portland that may have limited his playing time, but the ACL injury plagued him for more long term purposes.

I'm not a huge NBA fan, but is Aminu considered a miss? In the little I see of highlights and stats, it looks like he plays a decent amount and puts up some numbers on occasion.

Streaky, yeah. He wouldn't start on most NBA teams. Looked horrible the other night in Denver. Was taken just before Gordon Hayward and Paul George. Also Larry Sanders and Eric Bledsoe.

I was curious about this as well. Seems to me he is still young. Wish he had stayed at WF one more year though. Feels a little too that his situation is a matter of circumstances. Went to a stacked clippers team, yielding little playing time 17.4 mpg his first season then was dumped off on the lowly hornicans where his minutes have gone up 25.9 mpg last season. His 7.3 ppg and 6.3 rbpg surely aren't much to get excited about. Doesn't seem like he's been gone 4 years but looking at his stats, largely looks average so far:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Farouq_Aminu#Professional_career

Streaky, yeah. He wouldn't start on most NBA teams. Looked horrible the other night in Denver. Was taken just before Gordon Hayward and Paul George. Also Larry Sanders and Eric Bledsoe.

And Plumlee won the game by blocking Lebron. I don't want to live here anymore...

I know he had issues with the head coach Carlesimo in Portland that may have limited his playing time, but the ACL injury plagued him for more long term purposes.

He had a long successful career overseas.

maybe nitpicking, but i hate how people still hedge by saying Duncan "may" go down as best PF of all time. Aren't we about 5 years of still elite per minute production and team success past that debate?

The only thing creating any kind of debte could be the fact that he has played center for a number of years now... If you classify him as a PF, there is no doubt, IMO.

Didn't he also have shoulder issues? I don't think he was ever going to be a great pro - he was too much of a 2-guard in a point guard body. Classic great college player who did not project to be a great pro...

He's definitely been a miss. He only was offered a one year deal last year, which is pretty bad for a #8 pick. That said he's been a useful player. He's a good defender and rebounder. He is literally one of the worst offensive players in the league though.

Well, as we've talked about ad nauseum in person, this isn't very surprising. CP3 dropping to fourth was just dumb. It's not hindsight either, this was pretty well-known that he was going to be great when he got drafted. Taking Marvin Williams with the number two draft pick when CP3 was on the board has to be one of the biggest busts ever.

Back