• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest (-2.5) vs. ULM

doubledeac

Reaction score
No idea on this, but props have us O/U 3.5 total regular season wins. Thoughts? (please delete if Haas)

The line has dropped from an opener of 6.5 to 7. If WF wins this game, WF will get over the posted total of wins. If WF loses, WF will not.

Really hard game to handicap as WF will be running new schemes with a lot of untested personnel, but there is a lot of enthusiasm coming out of WF. Kind of reminds me when WF played its first game under Grobe, when WF was coming off a 2-9 season under Caldwell, and the Deacs were 16 point dogs at ECU (who I believe were coming off a bowl) with no expectations heading into the season. ECU was completely unprepared for WF's offense, and WF dominated the game.

The line has dropped from an opener of 6.5 to 7. If WF wins this game, WF will get over the posted total of wins. If WF loses, WF will not.

Really hard game to handicap as WF will be running new schemes with a lot of untested personnel, but there is a lot of enthusiasm coming out of WF. Kind of reminds me when WF played its first game under Grobe, when WF was coming off a 2-9 season under Caldwell, and the Deacs were 16 point dogs at ECU (who I believe were coming off a bowl) with no expectations heading into the season. ECU was completely unprepared for WF's offense, and WF dominated the game.

God, I hope you're right, Pilch

Grobe's first game was a lot of fun. I'm sure you'll have a great time as well.

I'm unfamiliar with Monroe. Can't see a major airport nearby on GoogleEarth. We fly/charter via a 737 jet, correct ? Where are we landing and staying next Wednesday night ?

I'm unfamiliar with Monroe. Can't see a major airport nearby on GoogleEarth. We fly/charter via a 737 jet, correct ? Where are we landing and staying next Wednesday night ?

It's the corporate headquarters for Delta Airlines. I suspect they have some airline service there.

I bet... it... all...

images

737's can go into Monroe Regional Airport, no commercial airlines do offer that big of a plane though. So they'll fly directly to Monroe on a charter.

The Delta Dusters were based there before the Depression. Should be top-notch.

The Clawson effect as a HC is pretty strong. I think we will still be outmanned in a number of games, but the man can get a team ready to play and believing and playing hard. And he is NOT conservative. I expect we will attack from the start and let the chips fall where they may. I can live with that, especially after watching Grobe do the opposite the last 5-6 years. I still don't get how Grobe went from innovative and aggressive to "play not to lose" and "just keep it close." There will be none of that with Clawson.

As far O/U on wins, who knows. I have no idea what other teams have, nor us. If the talent gap isn't too bad, I like our chances with Clawson.

The Clawson effect as a HC is pretty strong. I think we will still be outmanned in a number of games, but the man can get a team ready to play and believing and playing hard. And he is NOT conservative. I expect we will attack from the start and let the chips fall where they may. I can live with that, especially after watching Grobe do the opposite the last 5-6 years. I still don't get how Grobe went from innovative and aggressive to "play not to lose" and "just keep it close." There will be none of that with Clawson.

As far O/U on wins, who knows. I have no idea what other teams have, nor us. If the talent gap isn't too bad, I like our chances with Clawson.

Coach Grobe was always a "just keep it close" coach. He was that way from season 1 on through. He almost always played not to lose as opposed to going for the win.

Where can I bet on that O/U? We've gotta get to 4 wins....

It's the corporate headquarters for Delta Airlines. I suspect they have some airline service there.

Delta moved their HQ from Monroe to Atlanta in 1941...

Having said that, the Monroe Regional airport has a 7,500' long runway, which is more than sufficient to handle a 737.

Last edited:
Coach Grobe was always a "just keep it close" coach. He was that way from season 1 on through. He almost always played not to lose as opposed to going for the win.

Exactly. His first two years, he inherited the offensive personnel who could make that work along with recruiting Barclay and Plack. The FRESH DEACS, particularly Swank, could make that work as well.

Without the specifically right combination of talent, Grobe's philosophy fell apart.

Vegas loves camo.

Back