• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Ability to Compete in Football

Not to sound too LOWF (because I'm really not), but Vandy's membership in the SEC is a substantial recruiting advantage. It's not insurmountable, but it's a pretty powerful draw. If you want a smaller private school in the SEC, you get Vandy. That's a niche we don't have. There is a hell of a lot to love about Wake Forest, and the right people can certainly sell that to good players.

Why is the size of a school a detriment to football success? We have 85 scholarships, just like Alabama or Michigan does. Sure, I get that the fact that we're private with a high tuition is going to decrease the number of quality walk-ons we have, but does that really make that much of a difference in the end? Nobody in FBS plays walk-ons on Saturdays.

Smaller school = smaller alumni base = smaller crowds; likely fewer resources in donor giving, etc. Plus you have to find the kind of athlete who wants to go to a small school as opposed to a large school with more social opportunities, etc.

The size of the school matters tremendously. We have fewer black students, which is less attractive to many black athletes. We have less people in the stands. We have less donors.

we have less recognition, our city is underwhelming and has no natural attractions, the best players--those that are NFL bound--would be crazy to attend a school that makes you actually do school work.

our facilities are ok, so i can't rag on those, but then there is the whole tradition thing, which WFU has none of, in fact we have negative tradition to deal with.

WFU can be successful long term, but that success will be dearly won (pony up, and even then no guarentees as we've seen)....or worse

Last edited:
Back