• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball Recruiting: Juke Harris Commits!!

Splitting hairs but early on McCray and Taylor both had essentially identical garbage minutes, then after LSU Taylor got into 3 games without McCray seeing the floor. Did seem like he was ahead of him for a minute.

they both had 18 minutes over 8 appearances in calendar 2022

Taylor had 2 minutes at Miami on 1/1
McCray had 3 minutes at Virginia on 1/15
Taylor had 4 minutes to McCray's 3 vs. BC on 1/24 (Taylor subbed in along with Monsanto with 4:06 to play and WF up 29; McCray came in for Monsanto at the next dead ball with 3:42 to play)

those are the differences post-2021

Last edited:
Well, Taylor seemed to be ahead of McCray on the depth chart most of this season, and Forbes implied that was because of McCray's defensive shortcomings.

I'm a big fan of McCray, and I wanted him to be getting 6th man-level minutes early this season, but I wouldn't blame folks for "sleeping" on him when the guy who's seen him play the most put him in games for all of 57 minutes this year. Seems fair to say he needs to take a big step forward somewhere.

In super small sample sizes and a couple brief convos with tier 1 sauces, the staff seems VERY high on Robby Mac. If RM can tighten up his handles, and continue to work on his jump shot, he has Jeff Teague level upside. Not in year 2, but year 3 and 4.

none of that is to say the staff isn't high on Lucas. And Lucas could possibly be "ahead" of him on the depth chart, but I never had any convos with anyone about Lucas. I hope they both end up being studs.

Well, Taylor seemed to be ahead of McCray on the depth chart most of this season, and Forbes implied that was because of McCray's defensive shortcomings.

I'm a big fan of McCray, and I wanted him to be getting 6th man-level minutes early this season, but I wouldn't blame folks for "sleeping" on him when the guy who's seen him play the most put him in games for all of 57 minutes this year. Seems fair to say he needs to take a big step forward somewhere.

Your general comment about "McCray's defensive shortcomings" is way off base. Go back and check Coach Forbes' numerous statements about McCray and you will see that the one positive he always made about McCray was that he could develop into an elite ACC defender.

Please cite any specific instances where there have been criticisms of McCray's defensive shortcomings and I will stand corrected.

You said it yourself. "Could become..." he's got the tools. He just lacks the experience. He still overthinks things. Most rookies do. He'll come around there I think.

Your general comment about "McCray's defensive shortcomings" is way off base. Go back and check Coach Forbes' numerous statements about McCray and you will see that the one positive he always made about McCray was that he could develop into an elite ACC defender.

Please cite any specific instances where there have been criticisms of McCray's defensive shortcomings and I will stand corrected.

Yep. There were times this year I thought it would be a good message to our team, and possibly an effective move to bring Robby Mac in and defends whoever was going off on us that game. Who cares if he picks up 3 fouls in 8 minutes...Just Patrick Davidson that dudes ass.

Yep. There were times this year I thought it would be a good message to our team, and possibly an effective move to bring Robby Mac in and defends whoever was going off on us that game. Who cares if he picks up 3 fouls in 8 minutes...Just Patrick Davidson that dudes ass.

believe that was the role he was given at UVA for his 2:41 of PT on Franklin

Seems odd for most to be (correctly) invested/interested in our existing frosh group to gain experience and progress now, yet gave up so completely on C Whitt. After all he was the one awarded playing time as a result of the practices.

Seems odd for most to be (correctly) invested/interested in our existing frosh group to gain experience and progress now, yet gave up so completely on C Whitt. After all he was the one awarded playing time as a result of the practices.

interesting phenomenon, that

Fans like to project greatness onto unknown quantities. The backup quarterback phenomenon

It's not that odd. If McCray and Taylor play more and don't play well, they'll turn on those guys too.

That’s a good sign.

Splitting hairs but early on McCray and Taylor both had essentially identical garbage minutes, then after LSU Taylor got into 3 games without McCray seeing the floor. Did seem like he was ahead of him for a minute.

I think McCray had Covid or mono when this happened?

Yeah, tbh looking at the game logs I was probably off-base, sorry. Just remembered anecdotally a stretch where Taylor got into games that McCray didn't.

(I do specifically remember Forbes responding to a question re:McCray in a postgame conference with a comment about defense, though. It wasn't so much "McCray is a liability on the defensive end" as mentioning how much he values defensive contributions in his rotation, IIRC.)

Last edited:
Would love Taylor to explode, but he didn’t hit a bucket all year. Also only grabbed 1 board. I know it was garbage time almost exclusively, but that stood out to me.

Back