• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball Recruiting: Juke Harris Commits!!

It’s funny how the portal is affecting college hoops in particular. Unless a hs recruit is essentially a lottery pick then coaches who sign those kids take the greatest risk. If they can’t play right away they will probably and should head to the portal. Forbes seems like he is doing a good job selling Wake to those recruits who enter the portal. Might not get them the first time but have a shot the second and last time. I believe schools like Wake could be better off long term with this strategy since the days of stockpiling talent are pretty much gone.
Now, why shouldn’t that strategy work for football?

Because football needs a lot more players and Wake traditionally doesn't accept a lot of transfers. It would be difficult to rely on getting several transfers every year.

I hear that but it seems confusing. Makes sense when you’re talking about grad transfers but hoops has a bunch of regular transfers now, correct? It seems hard to believe that we would have admitted some of these football players out of high school but not the transfer portal. There is a ton of football talent floating around in the portal each year. We are taking a couple?

Grad transfers are easy to get into Wake. Regular transfers aren't. This may be the first Wake basketball team with multiple regular transfers who came in at the same time.

Grad transfers are easy to get into Wake. Regular transfers aren't. This may be the first Wake basketball team with multiple regular transfers who came in at the same time.
Also, all the transfers this year are academically young. That is, they have two or more years of eligibility in which to complete Wake undergraduate credits. Much easier to transfer into Wake as a rising sophomore or junior than as a rising senior.

Right. Which explains why it doesn't work for football. An academic freshman may not have even seen the field yet so evaluation is based on what they did in HS. By the time a player has college film, they're in the grey area that makes transfer to Wake unlikely. Rising sophomores or grad transfers are the best bet.

Also, this isn't a case of the staff losing interest and backing off of recruits. I want to make sure that's clear.

Forbes gave Boswell an ultimatum of sorts and Boswell wasn't interested. Forbes was ready to move on (after functionally losing the recruitment), but Boswell's mom asked Forbes to continue to recruit him. We recruited Boswell about as hard as anybody we've recruited since Forbes got here, so it's definitely disappointing.

Forbes visited Passmore on the eve of his decision to cut his list to 4 (and not include Wake), so I think it's safe to say we didn't back off that recruitment either.

I also want to make clear that this doesn't mean that the staff did anything wrong. They recruited the hell out of these guys, and it feels pretty safe to say that they both are gonna end up making some dumb choices. I'm pretty sure that we're gonna see Boswell in the portal sooner rather than later.

Boswell wasn’t interested, Forbes moved on, his mom asked him to keep recruiting him, and he still ended up spurning us? That’s got to be frustrating for the staff.

I want someone who knows to tell me if, as Forbes himself said, it's really all about the $$$ for these blue chip players. I know someone on the staff of a very good (and rich) football program. And it seems to me that the NIL game as he describes it is more nuanced than the eBay-like process I imagined.

I want someone who really knows to explain like I'm 5 how the process plays out with these players. Because if it's eBay, winning (which we suck at) doesn't matter all that much. If it's more nuanced, then all that matters is finding someone to write a check (which is also harder for us due to a smaller alumni base).

Either way, I hope Wake can figure out how to recruit in this new era. The good news is I think they are trying. That's a start, I suppose.

I mean it’s pretty simple.

For some guys they will take the highest bid because they want money in the short term. Either they know they are close to their ceiling or they get blinded by the $$$

Other guys will bet on themselves and take less money in the short term to go somewhere with better development or better professional connections or more playing time and try to make more money long term

Recruits aren’t a monolith, everyone’s priorities will be different.

I mean it’s pretty simple.

For some guys they will take the highest bid because they want money in the short term. Either they know they are close to their ceiling or they get blinded by the $$$

Other guys will bet on themselves and take less money in the short term to go somewhere with better development or better professional connections or more playing time and try to make more money long term

Recruits aren’t a monolith, everyone’s priorities will be different.

Also, for many basketball players, making the NCAA Tournament is a big deal. If they don't see a reasonable opportunity to get that TV exposure and notoriety, they will go elsewhere, even if they have to take less money.

I want someone who knows to tell me if, as Forbes himself said, it's really all about the $$$ for these blue chip players. I know someone on the staff of a very good (and rich) football program. And it seems to me that the NIL game as he describes it is more nuanced than the eBay-like process I imagined.

I want someone who really knows to explain like I'm 5 how the process plays out with these players. Because if it's eBay, winning (which we suck at) doesn't matter all that much. If it's more nuanced, then all that matters is finding someone to write a check (which is also harder for us due to a smaller alumni base).

Either way, I hope Wake can figure out how to recruit in this new era. The good news is I think they are trying. That's a start, I suppose.
I heard it all just bribes and shit.

Also, for many basketball players, making the NCAA Tournament is a big deal. If they don't see a reasonable opportunity to get that TV exposure and notoriety, they will go elsewhere, even if they have to take less money.

But that elsewhere with less money hasn’t been Wake.

But that elsewhere with less money hasn’t been Wake.

Because we haven't made the tournament.
We aren't the highest bidder and we don't have much recent success. A bad combo.

He said players will go to programs that don’t get the TV exposure even if they have to take less money but Wake hasn’t benefited from that dynamic.

He said players will go to programs that don’t get the TV exposure even if they have to take less money but Wake hasn’t benefited from that dynamic.
I think he said the opposite. That players would take less money to go to programs that get more TV exposure so they can maximize their long term earning potential at the expense of their short term money.

Back