• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball Recruiting: Juke Harris Commits!!

Carter Whitt is supposedly recruiting for us big time and is a big draw for players wanting to come into the program.

Carter Whitt is supposedly recruiting for us big time and is a big draw for players wanting to come into the program.

Shaver mentioned having played against Whitt and wanting to play with him.
I see myself being able to play with Carter Whitt. I think he's a really good player. We played him this summer and he's insane. I think a two man game with him would be real deadly.

This makes me glad Carter is getting a lot of minutes despite some of his (understandable) early struggles.

With offers from KY and KU, it's hard to believe this guy is 3*.

I'll take Gortman as our 1 top-50 guy and then 2 or 3 other top-150 guys. Forbes could prove me wrong, but I don't see him landing top-10 classes until we show on-court success.

If we don't get Top 50 guys, our top end is middle of the pack and that would be lucky.

As Skip used to say, "It's not the X and Os. It's the Jimmys and Joes."

If we don't get Top 50 guys, our top end is middle of the pack and that would be lucky.

As Skip used to say, "It's not the X and Os. It's the Jimmys and Joes."

Absolutely agree. I just think we are going to have to be OK with middle of the pack for a couple of seasons after this one. Then I see us making a push for elite talent to get us to that next step. A couple top-50 guys in 2022 would be a huge step for the Deacs and Forbes right now. I hope is happens.

"Top hundred" has a nice ring and cachet to it. However, I'm not convinced that guys rated 85-100 are much different from guys rated 101-115. And the lower rated guys could end up better because their skill sets are a better fit for how Forbes wants the team to play.

In other words, we need a top-10 recruiting class for 2022?

Two Top 50s (unless they are Top 30s) doesn't get you into the Top 10.

Blue- whereas I agree that the difference between #60 and #120 can be simply seeing the guys play. You aren't going to be consistently in the Top 5-6 in the ACC without getting Top 50 or Top 30 players. If get nothing but players in the 75-115 range, we will be mediocre forever.

Two Top 50s (unless they are Top 30s) doesn't get you into the Top 10.

Blue- whereas I agree that the difference between #60 and #120 can be simply seeing the guys play. You aren't going to be consistently in the Top 5-6 in the ACC without getting Top 50 or Top 30 players. If get nothing but players in the 75-115 range, we will be mediocre forever.

Tell that to just about every final four team ever that isn't a blue blood.

Edit to say, I agree that we need an infusion of talent. But plenty of teams, especially those with good coaches, can come out on top with 3 and 4 year players who buy into a system. I see us going after the Texas Tech model of trying to recruit guys who want to stay in school for a few years and build something.

Last edited:
Tell that to just about every final four team ever that isn't a blue blood.

Edit to say, I agree that we need an infusion of talent. But plenty of teams, especially those with good coaches, can come out on top with 3 and 4 year players who buy into a system. I see us going after the Texas Tech model of trying to recruit guys who want to stay in school for a few years and build something.

TT and Houston were the only teams in the 18-19 Sweet 16 without a Top 50 player. Those are bad odds.

The only thing that could save us going forward is that many of the Top 25 players will take shots at the G-League when the process is put in place. Without those guys in the recruiting mix, it become much more competitive and the blues aren't used to finding the #30-100 guys who are talented. This should help us.

Recruiting in college will look a little different once the NBA direct from high school to G-league and get paid legally program is in full operation. I am guessing that program will attract many out of the top 30.

Successfully recruiting the top guys will require convincing them of two things: going to your university is better than getting paid to play in the G-league and going to your university is better than going to any other school.

Most college programs are going to need "second 30" guys to be successful.

Wake is unlikely to jump from DFL to top 5 in the conference in one step. Getting from DFL to middle is a big leap. Looks day 1 game in ACC tournament this season. Minimum for next season should be day 1 bye.

Back