• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Offseason Discussion

The passing game is all going to start with the O-line. Will those guys be able to give the Wake QB three seconds to throw, or will it be less than two?

Hinton and Wolford split time the first two games last season, with Wolford getting the start in both, but Hinton getting most of the playing time at Duke. Hinton started against Delaware, but was hurt about 12 minutes into the game and never played again last season. Hinton was nicked in the Duke game (why else does he get replaced by Wolford for a third down and 5 at the 43 yard line?)

Hinton will probably be the starter day 1, but he has not shown to be durable. If that doesn't change, Wolford needs to be ready.

This is still the big question. Our OL has been terrible for three years. We now have "experienced" linemen. They are the key to everything. Did you last night after Bird caught the 50 yd TD pass he went up and high fived the linemen. He knew they gave Webb time to throw the ball. If any Wake QB has a bit more time, things will be much different. Hope to see marked improvement

Here is my 2017 4X6 schedule card. Click the image to open a high resolution copy. Right click it to download it. Then print it on 4X6 photo paper and attach it to your refrigerator or bulletin board.

Don't tell me what to do

This is still the big question. Our OL has been terrible for three years. We now have "experienced" linemen. They are the key to everything. Did you last night after Bird caught the 50 yd TD pass he went up and high fived the linemen. He knew they gave Webb time to throw the ball. If any Wake QB has a bit more time, things will be much different. Hope to see marked improvement

Three years? Try a decade.

Hinton either cut his locks or that is not a picture of him in the media guide. It does look like him to me, but wow ...

12757184.jpeg

Having 4 of the five positions decided this early has to be a plus. Sounds like the frosh is making the RT decision hard in a good way.

Maybe Wake's QB won't be running for his life all the time. And maybe running backs see some decent holes.

Hinton just isn't the same without his dreads. They gave him superpowers.

Wolford dominating the scrimmages. 10-15 for 204 yards and 3 TDs. Greg Dortch had 3 carries for 69 yards and a TD along with 6 receptions for 99 yards.

Wolford dominating the scrimmages. 10-15 for 204 yards and 3 TDs. Greg Dortch had 3 carries for 69 yards and a TD along with 6 receptions for 99 yards.

Wow......for each of them.
Looks like our offense has improved a lot since last week.

(I'll wait for some to say our defense got worse)

I have always felt that if Wolford had a little more time, he could become the most accurate passer in the ACC, running the short passing game. The kid has been running for his life for 3 years, and taking beatings from opposing teams. Especially the ones that have the PLAYBOOK. Wolford has been through a lot, and his competitiveness and guts are amazing.

I endorsed Hinton pretty hard last year but one of the arguments was that our oline wasn't good. With a healthy Wolford and better oline he could convince me to hop on the #WolfordBandwagon especially with more threats running and receiving

I have always felt that if Wolford had a little more time, he could become the most accurate passer in the ACC, running the short passing game. The kid has been running for his life for 3 years, and taking beatings from opposing teams. Especially the ones that have the PLAYBOOK. Wolford has been through a lot, and his competitiveness and guts are amazing.

I agree. Trying to play QB in the new ACC with a below average OL, without a running game (till last season), without a down field threat at wideout and playing injured more often than not--is pretty much a formula for failure.

I want to win. If Wolford is out there completing 65 to 80% of his throws and getting the ball in the EZ, then hell yes play him.

Is there a QB controversy? Maybe, I don't know, but I don't think so. Anyway, I would much rather have this situation with two experienced QBs both playing well in the preseason than the one from three years ago at this time, i.e. a true freshman starter and a backup who had hardly ever played and who really wasn't ready for football at this level.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081217aab.html

John is playing really, really well and it showed up two scrimmages in a row,” said Clawson a week after Wolford completed 14 of 15 passes in a scrimmage. “We have three weeks (to make a decision). I can’t imagine we’re going to go thru the year and not play both of them. John, the last two scrimmages, has really played well. And he’s been really sharp, very accurate. He’s just so smart and he anticipates openings. He has played a lot of football. He’s got a lot of reps and when he goes out there he knows where the ball goes and he throws it accurately. And today I thought we protected better.”

“It’s always tough with Kendall,” said Clawson. “You’re going to run the quarterback more and in a scrimmage, he gets touched and he’s down. It’s not fair to him. Who’s the more accurate passer? I could have told you before we started camp that John would be the more accurate passer. In a scrimmage when the quarterback is not live and your greatest asset is the ability to break people down and make them miss, it’s not fair to him. I think you came away from the last scrimmage and said ‘wow, John was 14 of 15.’ But if you look at the film and if you were able to say Kendall had five carries for 175 yards, that’s pretty impressive.”

Wait, when did Hinton have 5 carries for 175? Or is that a hypothetical?

Yeah that makes sense - and absolutely. Hinton's stats are definitely not indicative of his talent because of the touch rule but Wolford has been outstanding - moreso than normal. He's usually better than Hinton is scrimmages but didn't post stats like this if I remember correctly.

I think the 1st half against Temple (prior to the injury) is representative of what Wolford can give us as a healthy senior. On one hand, he will probably still make some poor decisions like he did early in the 1st quarter of the bowl game. On the other hand, he is capable of reading defenses and making huge throws, especially if given time.

Hinton is the better athlete. Wolford, IMO, is the better QB at present. But, I want to win more than I want to watch either QB play in losses. Play the one that is more effective in getting the ball in the end-zone. Neither has proven very durable, so we will probably need both plus Newman before the season is over.

Why was our offense so much better in the first half of the bowl game, than it was during our 1-5 ending of the regular season? I think it was a better game plan.

Back