• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Unadulterated Horse Shit

A+, well-reasoned response! I only cover Wake Forest football recruiting as my job. I surely don't know what I'm talking about. I'm confident you're correct. The staff just goes by 247Sports and Rivals ranking. My bad.

A+, well-reasoned response! I only cover Wake Forest football recruiting as my job. I surely don't know what I'm talking about. I'm confident you're correct. The staff just goes by 247Sports and Rivals ranking. My bad.

Lectro is a legend in his own mind and a clown in everybody else's.

You should see what happens in the Tunnels sometime!

Don’t worry about it. You are doing the best you can

Yesterday was a good day to start a QB with experience — one who accounted for 300 yards in Death Valley 2017.

You shelter your young QB from a physical-mental shellacking against an NFL front 4.

It’s not hard to figure out. I’m certain the 63-3 was good for Sam.

Coaches cliche to say “we want to put ourselves in the best possible position to win”

Didn’t happen yesterday. The HC owns this one. I trust he understands or he will understand

Ha. Lectro knows better than Clawson.
Protect the quarterback from a shellacking? Yeah, I’m sure that instills confidence when you pull the starting quarterback because “this opponent is actually good.” Great message to the entire team.
Now Sam knows the level we expect to reach. He’s better for that experience.

I agree w lectro. I also hated the play calling early. If you are going to go ultra conservative on play calls, then go w Hinton as he is the better runner.

They should have started Hinton. I agree. He knew what he was up against and performed pretty well against Clemson in Death Valley last year. You can't start a true freshman at QB against that defense with 4 NFL players starting on the DL.

I agree w lectro. I also hated the play calling early. If you are going to go ultra conservative on play calls, then go w Hinton as he is the better runner.

How is running the exact same plays/offense that we have been running all season considered "ultra conservative"? It seemed to me the issue was that their defenders were a lot better than most of our offensive players. We ran the same plays that worked OK against ND; it's just that Clemson's defense is on a different level. About the only thing that worked against their first team D was Hartman scrambling for his life and hoping that allowed a receiver to finally get open.

How is running the exact same plays/offense that we have been running all season considered "ultra conservative"? It seemed to me the issue was that their defenders were a lot better than most of our offensive players. We ran the same plays that worked OK against ND; it's just that Clemson's defense is on a different level. About the only thing that worked against their first team D was Hartman scrambling for his life and hoping that allowed a receiver to finally get open.

Dive plays were something like 8 out of the first 12 plays. I get that those are generally speaking RPOs, but I believe vs. Notre Dame and others, we have outs in the first 12 plays, curls. We had a sweep or two (not on a dive option). Against Clemson, it felt like Clawson was trying to get Hartman to understand the speed of Clemson's DL early by really restricting the playbook and not having a single drop-back pass. Instead of working to calm Hartman, it gave him happy feet when we did finally throw it. I thought it did damage to his confidence. I like the kid. I think he will bounce back against Florida State. I do get essentially torking the year on the theory we'll have a great QB for three years following this one, but I just don't like it for today, and I don't like how we are using Hinton. Hinton is almost for sure a grad transfer somewhere else next year. I suppose that is okay and starting Hinton against Clemson or even for the rest of the season is not likely to gin up wins we'd otherwise lose, but here is my complaint:

When we had both Wolford and Hinton, Clawson gave both series in games to run and pass. We essentially switched QBs sort of like we do with our running backs. For some reason this year after Hinton was back from suspension, we aren't doing that all. We have yet to give Hinton a real series as QB when we were still in the game and we hardly give him an opportunity to throw the ball. It is a head scratcher for me, particularly since he beat out Wolford for the starting job and only lost it because he got hurt.

We either waited until third down to pass or had to pass on third because of the distance. We were very stubborn on the run which Clemson kept stuffing.

Dive plays were something like 8 out of the first 12 plays.

According to the box score, here are our first 12 plays ...

Colburn rush
Colburn rush
Hartman rush (scramble, so maybe a pass play?)
Hartman screen pass
Colburn rush
Hartman sack (pass play)
Hartman sack (pass play)
Hartman pass
Carney rush
Colburn rush
Hartman QB draw
Hartman pass

We either waited until third down to pass or had to pass on third because of the distance. We were very stubborn on the run which Clemson kept stuffing.

I only checked first half stats. We ran 15 plays on first down. 9 were passes and 6 were runs.

Good find. Some folks don't want facts to get in the way of their superior knowledge.

The simple fact is that whatever we tried, Clemson was stuffing. It wasn't that we were too run heavy or too pass heavy, it was that their defense was completely dominating our offense. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the hardest to believe.

Good find. Some folks don't want facts to get in the way of their superior knowledge.

We are in a post-facts era. Must embrace it.

In that vein, thinking that had we had our full staple of linebackers and hadn't lost Burley and Chase Monroe and also Coby Davis to IR, we would have shut down those 16 40+ yards plays to probably 2 and been in the game until late. That's my Trump era narrative anywho. How is that for superior knowledge?

Back