• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

If I am not mistaken, Luke Kuechly was a 3 star and quickly became the best linebacker in college and is now arguably the best in the NFL.

Some 3 stars outperform their ranking simply because they grow up, both physically and mentally. C.J. could be one of those. He's pretty light for an OT right now, but if he puts on 50 lbs of good weight, he could be special in a few years.

Many of the recruits, basketball and football, who rise in the rankings are the ones who can travel and attend more camps and jamborees, get themselves evaluated more often. A lot of other recruits just dont have the ability to do that, or just have other interests besides sports.

Some basic observations and the tangential connections to be expected ..

Let’s start somewhere..anywhere with this latest class which is easily the best WF Class I have seen.

The best WR talent historically produced in NC comes out of the Piedmont. Why? Maybe it’s Billy Prim’s H2O..who can say?

But, in my years of observation I will say that Donovon Greene is the next great outside speed receiver from NC. His ability is on par with Piedmont luminaries Torry Holt (Gibsonville) and Keenan Allen (Northern).

Donny is kind of a composite. He is taller like Allen yet has Holts more powerful lower body. DG has great rhythm and tempo and that is part of what an athlete gets from playing hoops. Clearly he has exceptional ball skills (eye -hand coordination) to go along with outstanding straight line speed (4.4) and hops (40” vert).

Lastly,and maybe most importantly, when you have so many great WR/ athletes from Jadon Haselwood to Khafre Brown the difference often comes down to how well the squash is cooked. Greene gives every impression of a guy who has it straight between the ears..

An article that I've shared before, but a relevant reminder about how Clawson and staff approach recruiting strategy and how to maximize their bandwidth: https://dailynorthwestern.com/2017/07/07/sports/205075/

Very interesting article. I hadn't seen this before.
So.....there's a lot more science than just 'gut feel' to recruiting.
Developed by some math whizzes at Northwestern (makes sense) and Wake/Clawson was an early adopter. Positive results for both schools the first couple of years. ODU as the other early adopter is intriguing. Remember, they beat VT this year.
I'm guessing this trend will be like 'Money Ball'. Once the word gets out that it really works, almost everyone will use it and the process of recruiting will be turned inside out. Wonder what this will do to those coaches who have reps as great recruiters? It could help them or it could put them out of business.

Some 3 stars outperform their ranking simply because they grow up, both physically and mentally. C.J. could be one of those. He's pretty light for an OT right now, but if he puts on 50 lbs of good weight, he could be special in a few years.

Light? He's 6-7/270.

At 6' 7", he's a 'slender' 270

Not putting a kid on the hoof, although coaches and recruiters make such observations daily..but with Elmonus..just look at the kid’s neck. Watch the traps and delts once Hourigan gets hold of him. C.J.’s lower body fits the mold as well..Mark Richt knows what he wants :)

C.J., if all goes to plan and no snags, is likely going to wind up in the 320-330 range..so yes, as of today, he’s a little thin :)

Haven't seen this posted before: a "hat ceremony" between "Wake Forest" and "WF." Spoiler: The Deacs win. Excerpt from the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...prises-local-recruits/?utm_term=.c96801987c90

Westfield High senior Taylor Morin stood and looked down at the two hats on the table in front of him. One was a crisp white with the words “Wake Forest” emblazoned on the front. Next to it was a black hat, with a “WF” in a strikingly similar font.
“So first, I want to decide between my two hats,” Morin started to say, before a burst of laughter engulfed the room.
Picking up the white Wake Forest hat to a round of cheers, Morin, who played both wide receiver and defensive back in high school, sat down and officially signed his national letter of intent with the Demon Deacons.
Morin, a 2018 All-Met first-team selection, had been waiting for this moment for the last six months. Since verbally committing to Wake Forest in June, Morin knew the school would be his choice. And on Wednesday, the first day of college football’s second early signing day period ever, Morin made it official.
Westfield High senior Taylor Morin stood and looked down at the two hats on the table in front of him. One was a crisp white with the words “Wake Forest” emblazoned on the front. Next to it was a black hat, with a “WF” in a strikingly similar font.
“So first, I want to decide between my two hats,” Morin started to say, before a burst of laughter engulfed the room.
Picking up the white Wake Forest hat to a round of cheers, Morin, who played both wide receiver and defensive back in high school, sat down and officially signed his national letter of intent with the Demon Deacons.
Morin, a 2018 All-Met first-team selection, had been waiting for this moment for the last six months. Since verbally committing to Wake Forest in June, Morin knew the school would be his choice. And on Wednesday, the first day of college football’s second early signing day period ever, Morin made it official.

Seems like there are different types of 3 star players. Some are what they are, but some have "frames" that can add 25-50 lbs and become special. Hopefully, Clawson knows which ones are which.

I saw one of the recruiting sites had Greene listed at 6'2" and 185. There is no way he is that small. He is at least 6'3" and 205-210. I ran into him at a store in MA and if he is under 200, then I'm the Queen of England.

I don't know if we can trust skinnydeac to make a Lectro style weight post.

Seems like there are different types of 3 star players. Some are what they are, but some have "frames" that can add 25-50 lbs and become special. Hopefully, Clawson knows which ones are which.

I saw one of the recruiting sites had Greene listed at 6'2" and 185. There is no way he is that small. He is at least 6'3" and 205-210. I ran into him at a store in MA and if he is under 200, then I'm the Queen of England.

All muscle. No body fat. None.

Some basic observations and the tangential connections to be expected ..

Let’s start somewhere..anywhere with this latest class which is easily the best WF Class I have seen.

The best WR talent historically produced in NC comes out of the Piedmont. Why? Maybe it’s Billy Prim’s H2O..who can say?

But, in my years of observation I will say that Donovon Greene is the next great outside speed receiver from NC. His ability is on par with Piedmont luminaries Torry Holt (Gibsonville) and Keenan Allen (Northern).

Donny is kind of a composite. He is taller like Allen yet has Holts more powerful lower body. DG has great rhythm and tempo and that is part of what an athlete gets from playing hoops. Clearly he has exceptional ball skills (eye -hand coordination) to go along with outstanding straight line speed (4.4) and hops (40” vert).

Lastly,and maybe most importantly, when you have so many great WR/ athletes from Jadon Haselwood to Khafre Brown the difference often comes down to how well the squash is cooked. Greene gives every impression of a guy who has it straight between the ears..

You hit the nail on the head. He’s James Brim but stronger, jumps higher and has better hands.

I spoke to him after the MA vs South Stokes game and he had a great game. But to be honest when I spoke to him I thought he looked smaller height and weight Wise than listed.

Back