• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

The more subscribers to a recruiting site there are, the higher the class ranking. I have no idea how many subscribers Les has, but Rivals is probably less than 30 people. Class rankings outside of the top-20 are fudged around based on how big the paying fanbase is.

Are you serious? I mean I knew this stuff wasn't a hard science, but I didn't think there was in your face, fraud by design built in.

Are you serious? I mean I knew this stuff wasn't a hard science, but I didn't think there was in your face, fraud by design built in.

It's not so much outright fraud as it is a lack of ability to evaluate all the guys out there. It's a lot of work to look at say the right guard from "New England Prep" and compare to the guy from "Eastern Washington Mountain HS" and ""Arizona Desert HS" etc. If one is at the top of his class, he will get seen a bunch, so the 5 star guys are well rated. So are the four star guys. The bulk of the three star and below guys get one look and some film. So maybe the opponent (team and/or individual player) isn't very good or is exceptionally good. Same with his team mates. So there is reliance on the scouting ability of coaching staffs. And those presumably good big schools seem to carry more weight than smaller schools. Hence the tendency to upgrade guys who go to bigger schools. There may not be a lot of talent difference between the #50 Right Guard and the #90 Right Guard.

Part of the job of the guys working at Rivals etc is to sell subscriptions. Fanbases like to hear that the guys playing for their school are "good." So the raters may lean a bit toward prospects who go to bigger fan base schools.

It's an easy scheme to get away with. The only way to determine if recruiting rankings are correct is to judge how those recruits perform on the field. So Rivals and 247 can flip the causality and just claim that the best teams that then go on to have the biggest fanbases have the best classes and focus recruit evaluation on about 100 or so players.

The way I evaluate the job Clawson and his staff have done is by looking at each kids offer list. We had 2 defensive lineman in our 2020 class offered by LSU and many many others, and they chose Wake Forest. Over 3/4 of our commits hold very impressive offers. Each year I’d bet that number has increased. The goal for Clawson and his staff should be to have an entire class made up of guys that hold multiple other P5 offers. When they get to that point, Wake will be setting up for championships.

The way I evaluate the job Clawson and his staff have done is by looking at each kids offer list. We had 2 defensive lineman in our 2020 class offered by LSU and many many others, and they chose Wake Forest. Over 3/4 of our commits hold very impressive offers. Each year I’d bet that number has increased. The goal for Clawson and his staff should be to have an entire class made up of guys that hold multiple other P5 offers. When they get to that point, Wake will be setting up for championships.

Are these offers from the likes of LSU committable offers?

Is it already time for the annual recruiting rankings don't matter and Wake's recruiting is underrated discussion?

You know the recruiting services downgraded this kid based on competition. Looked like a bunch of JV teams.

“Brian Dohn, 247Sports National Football Recruiting Analyst, said about Sims: "Sims is 6-3, 215 pounds and has the hops to dunk a basketball with ease. He was productive in a run-first offense. Christchurch completed 66 passes in nine game, and he had 21 catches for 598 yards (yes, 28.5 ypc) and seven touchdowns."

Sounds like Calvin Johnson playing with Reggie Ball.

I request that QBs name never to be spoken again(I grew up a GT fan and the amount of games than man threw away hurts my soul)

from his tape Sims seems like a kid that'd blow up at camps

Joe Hamilton and Reggie Ball will always have a special place in the hearts of Wake fans.

Looks like we got a commit today. Potentially Brandon Williams, DE, who is deciding between Wake and VT today.

You know the recruiting services downgraded this kid based on competition. Looked like a bunch of JV teams.

Yeah, that high school is expensive and is not located in Richmond. Play a bunch of private schools like VA Episcopal and Richmond Collegiate, so competition is decent, but not great.

They also produced Michael Gbinije, blast from the past and a few other decent basketball guys.

Welcome DJ Sims!

Brandon Williams committed...

In your face, Hokies!!!!!!!!!!!

Back