• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

The seven yard pass to the TE in the flat, with 1-2 YAC, always feels like the most dependable play in football. Yet it’s not always treated that way.

Seems clear to me that we are preparing to address issues against pass rushes we had last year with more action to the TE. I like it.
Agree. We going downtown. Best receiver Corp in the nation. Offensive blockers. Don't block. Don't play.

Lebbeus Overton wants Academics first.

He also wants to GET BETTER, which is Dave Clawson's mantra (we take 3 stars and turn them into 5 stars or whatever - it sounds better coming from Clawson). So, in this case, we take a 5 star, top 5 pick and turn him into...the next LT? The next Reggie White --- basically the GOAT.

Overton also wants the best match for Business and Engineering (where is that WFU Engineering discussion I saw last week).

So, all the top schools and Ga. Tech have offered.

We should offer. No?

I mean if we are going to be a top 10 or top 15 football team, which we are pre-season (woo hoo), then we need to act like it.

Grimes and Claiborne (I expect both to play this year) are a good start. Very good.

Last edited:
I can’t determine if Lebbeus Overton sounds more like the Key & Peele East-West sketch, a Harry Potter spell or a Harry Potter character.

But yeah, we should offer. Why not?

I can’t determine if Lebbeus Overton sounds more like the Key & Peele East-West sketch, a Harry Potter spell or a Harry Potter character.

But yeah, we should offer. Why not?

Engineering school shoild be accredited in a year or so. It just needs the minimum years if existence to get accredited. B school at Wake is highly ranked. Wake academic rep is right up there. Clawson should get this guy on board before Duke shows signs of life.

This guy is the #3 recruit in 2023 who just reclassified to 2022. He has offers from every school you'd think. All of those schools have "academics," not just Wake and Duke. Plenty of them probably have a better business and engineering set up than Wake.
https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/star-...top-ranked-football-recruit/story?id=82649998

"He's a 4.0 kid, he has been taking AP classes and so he's got quite a few college credits already and was already in position to graduate this spring," Overton's father, Milton, told ESPN. "I would say just the last month or two, he kind of evaluated things after football season. His coach left, there are very few seniors left on the team ... he wants to play for a championship."
Milton Overton is the athletic director at Kennesaw State, but both he and Overton's mother were academic advisers at the college level at one point in their careers. The family has been discussing this decision for a few months and decided this would be the best option at this point.
Lebbeus Overton outlined his top five schools as Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon and Texas A&M. Milton Overton says his son will take visits to all five schools over the next few months. Once all five visits are finished, Overton will make a decision that the family anticipates could happen around April.

Texas A&M has to be over the cap for the 2022 recruiting class... :cool:

That top 5 doesn't ring loudly of "academic elite." It shouts "football elite."

All of those schools have academics.

Yes, I am saying if he wanted academics first he would have put out a list similar to what I side. But he instead put out a list including Oklahoma and Oregon, which means he really is thinking football first, and giving lip service to the idea of academics being the driving motivator for his choice.

Overton's dad played at OU, so of course they're going to be on his list. His dad also was an assistant AD at aTm for several years. By the way, both of those schools have pretty excellent engineering programs. Well, aTm does. OU is great for petroleum engineering, but I don't know about the other stuff. I suspect he had a connection with Lanning when he was at UGA, hence the Oregon look.

So does Louisville. But nobody will consider the academics at Louisville to be on the same level as those at Cal Tech or MIT.

His list of "academic" schools has two barely in top 50 (47 and T49) as his best, two more top 100 and one outside top 100.

There are schools that are much higher on the academics list that also play good football. ND and Michigan, for instance.

Yeah. It's hard to look at rankings and such to judge engineering programs. Rankings are largely bullshit anyway, but a school could have a few top-tier departments in their college of engineering or a few star professors who run labs that do cutting edge research but that won't be reflected in rankings for the whole college or definitely the whole university. It's also possible a kid wants to focus on a specific area of engineering that some schools don't have. Maybe this kid wants to study industrial engineering in an established program that awards joint engineering/business degrees.

If Dave Odom was able to sign Rodney Rogers (program changer #7 overall, ranked too low that year, was actually top 3-4) and Skip Prosser was able to sign Chris Paul (also #7 or was it #5 overall)....we could land Lebbeus!

I mean there has to be some special School of Business program that is unique to Wake, that those other behemoths like OU cannot offer - that may resonate a lot with his parents.

Maybe find out what MOM is looking for - if momma is happy...

Why not? Go get him Clawson!

They signed 29. Don’t know how you do that when the limit is 25.

NCAA approved a one year waiver of annual signing limits for the 22-23 school year (fall 22 entering freshmen). Supposedly because of transfers. Schools would need to rebuild rosters. 85 total scholarship limit still applies.

They signed 29. Don’t know how you do that when the limit is 25.

If you have 7 or more go to the portal, you can sign 32 in any combination of HS and transfers. PAY&M has no trouble running players off if need be.

Back