• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Wake generally waits to offer a QB until Clawson and Ruggiero have seen him throw, usually on campus. With Sam returning for 23, Wake obviously did not have an open spot at starting QB. Some QBs think they should start as true freshmen, and look for an opportunity where that at least looks possible. The higher up the ratings chart the staff is looking, the more likely the kid thinks he should start now.

Thats what Junior days are for. Also Sam has said this is his last season.

I think the feeling in the winter was that they were ok at depth and weren't going to reach for anyone this cycle. But with the aforementioned changes, they are probably re-evaluating. That is where the summer camps may come into it, but most guys who are seniors going to summer camp already have an idea where they are going. The other idea would be take a look at the transfer portal, though I know you guys hate this and dont think it will ever happen.

His dad had a cup of coffee in the NFL. His commitment gives us the # 13 recruiting class in the country at the moment. I like the way this class is coming together. Probably looking to add some DB's and LB's as well.

Looking the 2023 season, I am curious if the staff is looking a little harder at finding a QB now, with Hartman in his final season, Edwards transferring and Santino moving to RB. We would be going into that season with Kern, Kelly and the Griffis brothers.

Some guys will throw, but unless someone blows them away, they're saving the spot and are looking towards 2024 with Van Buren/Marklinger/Reno/Aronson/DJ Moore/Noland amongst others.

A reminder that Mitch isn't nearly as bad as one televised spring game, Kern is solid and I continue to hear he's one of the lower transfer risks on the team(even ahead of Billy), and Brett might end up being a better QB than Mitch. Adding a 2023 QB to the mix doesn't really help that room

If Wake has a big season and Clawson isn’t happy with the QB room, he’ll go get a grad transfer.

If Wake has a big season and Clawson isn’t happy with the QB room, he’ll go get a grad transfer.

TITCR. I would hope at this point we have enough evidence to show that Clawson is a long term strategic planner and has probably considered all of these scenarios.

If Wake gets big leads this year, especially in the first few games, I would feel a lot better if the same guy comes in for mop up duty. Last year, it seemed like everybody got a turn. I hope there is a clear number 2 that starts to get the majority of the reps.

If Wake gets big leads this year, especially in the first few games, I would feel a lot better if the same guy comes in for mop up duty. Last year, it seemed like everybody got a turn. I hope there is a clear number 2 that starts to get the majority of the reps.

Biggest reasons for that are redshirts and injury.

Kern was a little banged up early in the season which is why we saw both Mitch and Leo. Once Mitch got in the ODU game, they couldn't really start throwing him in games until the BC game and he ended up being the only backup to come in from then through Pitt.

I would also like to see more of an attempt to run the offense when Sam is out. usually we just get a bunch of running the clock out with the occasional 3rd down throw. but generally speaking with our team, once the starter comes out, the score we have is generally close-to if not the final score, regardless of time left.

I would also like to see more of an attempt to run the offense when Sam is out. usually we just get a bunch of running the clock out with the occasional 3rd down throw. but generally speaking with our team, once the starter comes out, the score we have is generally close-to if not the final score, regardless of time left.

There’s more of a need to keep Sam healthy and establish a backup this year. Also if we’re rolling this year, we should be able to trust the defense to hold a lead. So I hope Sam comes off the field earlier and we see a solid #2 come in and run a slower pace version of the offense.

If you got a chance to take a QB, you take him. Every time. Always. They will always improve your locker room. They have led.

Biggest reasons for that are redshirts and injury.

Kern was a little banged up early in the season which is why we saw both Mitch and Leo. Once Mitch got in the ODU game, they couldn't really start throwing him in games until the BC game and he ended up being the only backup to come in from then through Pitt.

Ok. That makes sense. I didn't know Kern was injured. To my untrained eye, he seems to be the most gifted of the backups. He has a big arm, can run pretty well and is over 5'10". I would like to see him take control of that spot.

Clawson has always had more QBs on the roster than most teams. According to 247, WF only offered 3 this year, and all of them were essentially too good to pass up, but WF isn't going to land any of those guys. Not sure if the staff felt good about the position even with no additions from the Class of 2023 or they just didn't like the depth of the class, but as mentioned above, WF is being far more aggressive with the recruiting HS Class of 24 QBs.

If Hartman leaves after this season as initially indicated, Deacs would have only 3 scholarship QBs on the roster for the first time maybe ever under Clawson, but each has 3 or more years of eligibility left heading into 2022. Hard to evaluate the QBs without significant game action, but Kern has a great arm and a quick release; really like what I have seen of him in limited spurts; would not be shocked if the WF offense clicked immediately under Kern. At a minimum, think that Kern could step in put up points in the WF offense when needed. Clawson obviously loves the Griffis brothers, and they were super-prolific in HS.

Guessing that staff:

- Is comfortable with Kern and the Griffis bros for 2023 if Hartman leaves as expected
- Is planning on Hartman leaving, but is keeping the door cracked; understand six seasons at WF is a loooooong time, but he could achieve God status with a great seasons in 2022 and 2023
- Would be willing to kick the tires on a stud transfer portal guy if the right QB is available after the season
- Feels like they are positioned to land their highest rated QB recruit out of the Class of 24, as the track record of prolific offense is now understood and accepted everywhere and as that QB recruit will know that there is a window for early PT on a high octane offense

Last edited:
I agree with that assessment.

Any QB who comes to Wake can see that the offense is designed to spotlight the QB. And, there are some young, talented receivers already either at Wake or heading there soon.

Sam will, for sure, be gone.Perfect situation for getting a stud at QB for 24.

I'm not as confident about anybody from the portal. The reads are not that simple. QB needs lots of practice to not get fooled.

Clawson has always had more QBs on the roster than most teams. According to 247, WF only offered 3 this year, and all of them were essentially too good to pass up, but WF isn't going to land any of those guys. Not sure if the staff felt good about the position even with no additions from the Class of 2023 or they just didn't like the depth of the class, but as mentioned above, WF is being far more aggressive with the recruiting HS Class of 24 QBs.

If Hartman leaves after this season as initially indicated, Deacs would have only 3 scholarship QBs on the roster for the first time maybe ever under Clawson, but each has 3 or more years of eligibility left heading into 2022. Hard to evaluate the QBs without significant game action, but Kern has a great arm and a quick release; really like what I have seen of him in limited spurts; would not be shocked if the WF offense clicked immediately under Kern. At a minimum, think that Kern could step in put up points in the WF offense when needed. Clawson obviously loves the Griffis brothers, and they were super-prolific in HS.

Guessing that staff:

- Is comfortable with Kern and the Griffis bros for 2023 if Hartman leaves as expected
- Is planning on Hartman leaving, but is keeping the door cracked; understand six seasons at WF is a loooooong time, but he could achieve God status with a great seasons in 2022 and 2023
- Would be willing to kick the tires on a stud transfer portal guy if the right QB is available after the season
- Feels like they are positioned to land their highest rated QB recruit out of the Class of 24, as the track record of prolific offense is now understood and accepted everywhere and as that QB recruit will know that there is a window for early PT on a high octane offense

What QB in ‘24 are we likely to get. I’ve been a big fan of Pretniss Noland and not just his QB ability, his brain is top tier from what I’ve seen and heard.

What QB in ‘24 are we likely to get. I’ve been a big fan of Pretniss Noland and not just his QB ability, his brain is top tier from what I’ve seen and heard.

ThevWake multi read, call your own play offense Wake runs might appeal to.a guy like Noland.

The transfer portal is what it is and can be a lifesaver, but I think for immediate help and quick transition to the slow-mesh offense is a little more problematic than it might be for a more conventional offense.

The transfer portal is what it is and can be a lifesaver, but I think for immediate help and quick transition to the slow-mesh offense is a little more problematic than it might be for a more conventional offense.

Sam came in as a true freshman and ran the offense just fine. As long as they transfer in the Spring semester as most all QBs do and get to go through Spring practice then I don't really think it would be a huge problem. Pretty much everyone has RPOs in their offense these days so while the Wake offense is different it is not something that is going to be completely foreign.

While Clawson has voiced that he prefers to stay away from the portal unless it’s dire need, I’m sure the one position he does NOT want to use the portal for is QB. With all the reads that are required, ideally you want the QB to have two years in the system before he takes 500+ game snaps

Back