• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Cutter is better
Yes, but losing a recruit, especially a QB, to USF has to at least make Clawson sit up. I like Cutter's potential as well, but Hewlett is one of the most well-connected recruits in this class. His dad regularly trains NFL QBs, including John Wofford, so Hewlett would have had a firsthand view of how Wake can develop QBs. To have seen that and then decide to go to USF and Alex Golesh is an interesting choice. I have seen it reported that Clawson wants to take 2 QB's in this class and may be that pushed Hewlett away or he didn't want the competition with Cutter, or maybe he just wanted to stay in Florida.

Yes, but losing a recruit, especially a QB, to USF has to at least make Clawson sit up. I like Cutter's potential as well, but Hewlett is one of the most well-connected recruits in this class. His dad regularly trains NFL QBs, including John Wofford, so Hewlett would have had a firsthand view of how Wake can develop QBs. To have seen that and then decide to go to USF and Alex Golesh is an interesting choice. I have seen it reported that Clawson wants to take 2 QB's in this class and may be that pushed Hewlett away or he didn't want the competition with Cutter, or maybe he just wanted to stay in Florida.
I am assuming it is a matter of coinage.

I am assuming it is a matter of coinage.

USF has a bigger NIL than Wake?

Taking two QBs in a recruiting class seems outdated in the portal era.

USF has a bigger NIL than Wake?

Taking two QBs in a recruiting class seems outdated in the portal era.
Think that is why WF is targeting a multi-positional guy that can play QB.

Also, don't think anything is set in stone. If WF finds a HS recruiting gem among the final available ships that is not a QB, they may go with just one QB. After last season, WF was forced to go after a QB in the portal because the Griffis disaster. Doesn't seem like Clawson wants to overly rely on the portal to staff WF's future QB room. Maybe, Clawson is refusing to evolve, or maybe, he thinks, with so much attention (and scholarships from other schools) focused on portal QBs, that the best value for WF recruiting is to sign HS QBs. I can understand that thinking, but the prevailing opinion here seems to be that many of the WF football decisions are outdated.

Relying on the portal seems more practical than relying on QB room stability from year to year.

Relying on the portal seems more practical than relying on QB room stability from year to year.
I would imagine it’s tough to find backups in the portal as many are transferring for lack of playing time though.

It may also be a result of timing and chronology. Class of 25 HS quarterbacks are being recruited right now and will sign in December of 2024. "Class of 25" portal entrants will not happen until December 2024 and later. IMHO, it makes sense to bring in HS guys in fall 2025, see how they are in a full season of practice with the team, then recruit portal in spring of 2025 as needed for fall 2025 additions.

I understand the lose 2 get 2 idea when it comes to QBs, but unless the team gets a transfer as well, we are looking at a very inexperienced QB room in '25.

I would imagine it’s tough to find backups in the portal as many are transferring for lack of playing time though.

True but it’s tough to find “permanent” backups either way. HS recruits will want to play so they’ll transfer for a better opportunity. Transfers will look for a great situation.

True but it’s tough to find “permanent” backups either way. HS recruits will want to play so they’ll transfer for a better opportunity. Transfers will look for a great situation.
This is true.

I guess Clawson is looking for a multi-threat HS QB as a way to have a backup QB who gets playing time. I also guess it’s easier to accommodate players playing multiple positions by using two fields for reps.

Think that is why WF is targeting a multi-positional guy that can play QB.

Also, don't think anything is set in stone. If WF finds a HS recruiting gem among the final available ships that is not a QB, they may go with just one QB. After last season, WF was forced to go after a QB in the portal because the Griffis disaster. Doesn't seem like Clawson wants to overly rely on the portal to staff WF's future QB room. Maybe, Clawson is refusing to evolve, or maybe, he thinks, with so much attention (and scholarships from other schools) focused on portal QBs, that the best value for WF recruiting is to sign HS QBs. I can understand that thinking, but the prevailing opinion here seems to be that many of the WF football decisions are outdated.
Are you talking Hype Grand or is there another slash player Wake is going after at the moment?

Interesting Final 6 for Mr. Ford. Would think it would be hard to beat his former HC who is now the tOSU OC, but we got a shot.

chris-farley-tommy.gif

Last edited:
Back