• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Former DT target Jahlil Taylor has committed to the 'holes.

Yes. And we didn't sustain success.

It was the most sustained success we've ever had. How long does the success need to be sustained for your theory? 5 years? 20?

If you take two programs we know well, Duke and Wake, and compare their football rankings in the 2000s, it's eye opening. Wake almost always had a lower rated class but always had a better record, always won head to head, and had way more NFL picks. It's laughable how bad a decades' worth of football recruiting rankings look when comparing the two schools.

It was the most sustained success we've ever had. How long does the success need to be sustained for your theory? 5 years? 20?

If you take two programs we know well, Duke and Wake, and compare their football rankings in the 2000s, it's eye opening. Wake almost always had a lower rated class but always had a better record, always won head to head, and had way more NFL picks. It's laughable how bad a decades' worth of football recruiting rankings look when comparing the two schools.

That's not saying much. And it was one -- ONE -- recruiting class that did it all; not a consistent, concerted effort to sustain success. It was super-extraordinary that that class made such a difference as RS Freshmen.

Might be true. But just remember the same things were said about Grobe, who really ultimately perished due to poor recruiting.
I remember Grobe's early success translating into higher ranked recruiting classes later that didnt pan out, and were full of malcontents.

Very few of those high 3*, fringe 4* athletic recruits from 2009-2012 stayed 4 years and were ACC caliber.

That's not saying much. And it was one -- ONE -- recruiting class that did it all; not a consistent, concerted effort to sustain success. It was super-extraordinary that that class made such a difference as RS Freshmen.

Not buying this. Primary contributors in 2006 that were not part of the 2006 Freshmen class:

WR: Idlette, Moore, Marion, Morton, Brinkman

TE: Tereshinski, Selmon

RB: Andrews, Moore, Woods, Bryant

FB: Belton

OL: Justice, DeGeare, Gaskins, Brim, Jones, Vallos, Frazier

PK: Swank

DB: Gattis, Ghee, Vaughn, Smith, Swanson , Patterson

LB: Abbate, Arnoux, Curry, Berry, Simmons

DL: Robinson, Thompson, Andrews, Tucker, Smith, Stukes

Sure Skinner, Rinfrette, Harris (when healthy), and a couple of OL & DL contributed a lot, but the success of that team and the following ones were the result of multiple good recruiting classes. There was clearly a consistent, concerted effort to create a successful program and sustain success. Giving all the credit to one class is absurd.

Another problem (possibly overlapping with recruiting) that contributed to the end of the Grobe era was Lobo as OC and OL coach. We'll never actually know the extent of what could have been a big source of our lack of sustained success. Presumably a lot because WF's not going bowling in Clawson's 3rd year without some talented upperclassmen that were recruited by/remained after Grobe, but who knows.

Anthony Manning is also visiting this weekend. He is a smallish safety from Lake Nona HS in Orlando. His highlights show a lot of WR, but I doubt that's the position he is being recruited for (Wake already has a slot WR commit). Wake was his first offer at any level (back in April). Since he picked up that offer from Wake, he's also picked up FAU (May 5), Furman (May 22), Mercer (May 24), Western Illinois (May 25) and Central Connecticut (June 6). I don't know much more about him.

There was a tweet from his high school football team's Twitter account congratulating him on his commitment to Wake.

He tweeted yesterday that Coach Higgins was recruiting him. So I was probably wrong about Manning being recruited as a safety. This is more likely a WR commit. Manning would be the 2nd WR in the class measuring less than 6 feet.

The Dortch effect.

I just watched his highlight film on hudl. He’s definitely not as dynamic as Dortch (not many people are) but he’s very fast. His Hudl lists his 40 at 4.4 and vertical at 38.5” which are both pretty impressive. Seems Clawson wants to go after two types of guys at wide receiver: ones who can catch quick-hit passes in the middle of the field and do damage with YAC and big receivers who can catch jump balls on the outside. I like it.

I just watched his highlight film on hudl. He’s definitely not as dynamic as Dortch (not many people are) but he’s very fast. His Hudl lists his 40 at 4.4 and vertical at 38.5” which are both pretty impressive. Seems Clawson wants to go after two types of guys at wide receiver: ones who can catch quick-hit passes in the middle of the field and do damage with YAC and big receivers who can catch jump balls on the outside. I like it.

And if we get Donovan Greene in 2019, we will have a speedster with 6’3” size.

Sitting next to home on the plane right now. Seems like a great kid

Not buying this. Primary contributors in 2006 that were not part of the 2006 Freshmen class:

WR: Idlette, Moore, Marion, Morton, Brinkman

TE: Tereshinski, Selmon

RB: Andrews, Moore, Woods, Bryant

FB: Belton

OL: Justice, DeGeare, Gaskins, Brim, Jones, Vallos, Frazier

PK: Swank

DB: Gattis, Ghee, Vaughn, Smith, Swanson , Patterson

LB: Abbate, Arnoux, Curry, Berry, Simmons

DL: Robinson, Thompson, Andrews, Tucker, Smith, Stukes

Sure Skinner, Rinfrette, Harris (when healthy), and a couple of OL & DL contributed a lot, but the success of that team and the following ones were the result of multiple good recruiting classes. There was clearly a consistent, concerted effort to create a successful program and sustain success. Giving all the credit to one class is absurd.

Another problem (possibly overlapping with recruiting) that contributed to the end of the Grobe era was Lobo as OC and OL coach. We'll never actually know the extent of what could have been a big source of our lack of sustained success. Presumably a lot because WF's not going bowling in Clawson's 3rd year without some talented upperclassmen that were recruited by/remained after Grobe, but who knows.

I think the reference about one class was not to the 2006 class, but to the 2004 Fresh Deacs class that featured Curry, Smith, Arnoux, Patterson, Chip Vaughn, Swank, and Jeremy Thompson.

His highlights also show that he’s got great hands. Caught a lot of jump balls and balls in traffic.

His highlights also show that he’s got great hands. Caught a lot of jump balls and balls in traffic.

Yep. Very good find by Coach Higgins. Dortch and Hines were huge for us this year and this guy fits their mold. 7A offensive player of the year in Florida. This is one where the star rankings mean nothing. He can make plays.

Yep. Very good find by Coach Higgins. Dortch and Hines were huge for us this year and this guy fits their mold. 7A offensive player of the year in Florida. This is one where the star rankings mean nothing. He can make plays.

That's pretty darn impressive right there.
Heck with the stars.
Welcome!

Where did you find that he was 7A offensive player of the year? Aren't those awards usually given at the end of the year? I couldn't confirm this via a google search.

Guys-- just have faith in the staff. They have got the program in great shape with some of he best players we have ever had at the skill positions. Few if any would have predicted 7 wins this year. None would have predicted the progress the offense made and no one would have thought we could have some of our best offensive games after losing Dortch and Cade-- the future is bright

Impressive highlight for Manning. Also, how many uniforms does his high school team have? Kid plays taller than his height. Saw great cuts, great dive catches and catches high and in traffic. Pretty amazing. Loved the 6 year old wearing his jersey celebrating with him in the end zone.

Back