• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Where we have fallen down relying on the Griffis brothers is the standard for everyteam to recruit a genuine QB prospect in every class. Hecklinski and Hewlett get us back on track and needs to be the norm. Evaluation, development, and retention then determine how we do as a program, but every class needs a viable QB prospect to keep that room healthy. The portal can help, but there just are not that many sure instant fixes to be had so it can be fools gold but maybe necessary to get us out of our current fix. Griffis could develop into a servicable Power 5 QB and we all should pull for that, but one can't really expect that.

Where we have fallen down relying on the Griffis brothers is the standard for everyteam to recruit a genuine QB prospect in every class. Hecklinski and Hewlett get us back on track and needs to be the norm. Evaluation, development, and retention then determine how we do as a program, but every class needs a viable QB prospect to keep that room healthy. The portal can help, but there just are not that many sure instant fixes to be had so it can be fools gold but maybe necessary to get us out of our current fix. Griffis could develop into a servicable Power 5 QB and we all should pull for that, but one can't really expect that.
The Mitch recruitment is actually the type of thing we normally do well. High 3 star with a couple P5 offers who commits in the summer. One of the two brothers was injured their senior year which cut down on new tape. I think our issue is what happens once they get to campus.

The Mitch recruitment is actually the type of thing we normally do well. High 3 star with a couple P5 offers who commits in the summer. One of the two brothers was injured their senior year which cut down on new tape. I think our issue is what happens once they get to campus.

The extra Covid year and the exited transfers also messed up the QB ladder. Mitch G and Kern have the extra Covid year. That is why they are "young" in football class. Bret G transferred, in part, because he and Mitch didn't have much class separation. List would look like:
Kern rJr +
M. Griffis rsoph+
Marucci - rsoph
Edwards - rsoph (Maryland)
B.Griffis - rFr (JMU)
Gilliam - Fr
Mizzell - Fr ( walkon?)

Two guys transferred out because the top of the ladder didn't move for a year because of Covid.

That's just a lot of QBs and no P5 starter among them.

That's just a lot of QBs and no P5 starter among them.
We will see what happens with Billy Edwards at Maryland next year. He has the best measurables in that group.

It is rather premature to write off Charlie Gilliam in the middle of a freshman season which was guaranteed to be a redshirt year.

Right. If he’s got a chance to start next year, he should start now.

Think we only see Clawson throw in the towel and play true freshman if we get to seven losses and can’t make a bowl

Think we only see Clawson throw in the towel and play true freshman if we get to seven losses and can’t make a bowl
But the irony is that there is a better chance of getting to 7 losses with the non-freshman QB. IMO it would be the opposite of throwing in the towel to play Gilliam now.

But the irony is that there is a better chance of getting to 7 losses with the non-freshman QB. IMO it would be the opposite of throwing in the towel to play Gilliam now.
The only reason I can think for a RS-sophomore to do senior day after 3 years because he is gone after the season. So I think it would be smart to put Gilliam out there over Marucci. We could be looking at a QB room of Griffis, Gilliam and Helsinki next year.

Not trying to be a dick ... but 7 losses doesn't guarantee the bowl streak ends.
The funny thing is that we might end up in a more interesting bowl if this happens since I assume we’d be outside of the ACC tie-ins.

Not to be accused of being Mr. Negative or anything, but we just offered a Class of 24 TE out of NJ. I was under the impression our class was full. Does this mean we are about to see a decommittment?

Not to be accused of being Mr. Negative or anything, but we just offered a Class of 24 TE out of NJ. I was under the impression our class was full. Does this mean we are about to see a decommittment?
In another thread there ws a list of 32 football players recognized as seniors. There are not 32 commits in the 2024 recruiting class. So, probably not full.

In another thread there ws a list of 32 football players recognized as seniors. There are not 32 commits in the 2024 recruiting class. So, probably not full.
Correct, and Trey Boll the TE was one of them. We also already have a TE in this class. Considering the late offer and the TE in question also decommitted from Temple today as well, I thought this was interesting.

Not all 32 were scholarship guys. It looks like 25-26 of them. But your point stands, we will have space.

Back