• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest receives $70MM gift, largest gift in university history

Why isn't there a building at Wake named after Byrum ? Wingate has multiple buildings named after him.

Manchester Plaza was named after a $5 million gift.

Why isn't there a building at Wake named after Byrum ? Wingate has multiple buildings named after him.

Manchester Plaza was named after a $5 million gift.

Uh...

bb076088b0ad814d3678ad02d4d909c0.jpg

Besides the actual Welcome Center?

Know your campus, Biff.

Sounds good.

Let's name the new On Campus Arena after him too.

I actually haven't been in that building but know that we have multiple dorms awaiting a name.

Sounds good.

I actually haven't been in that building but know that we have multiple dorms awaiting a name.

It's really nice, and literally the first building new students are intended to set foot in.

95345db7f2c8435aeb6d3fde1091e77b.jpg

And I think we just have two forms awaiting a naming gift, Dogwood and Magnolia.

We also have a South Residence Hall.

Thought that was now Angelou or Collins for the #OldBalls. Hate to break this to you, Biff, but North is now Martin.

I guess Polo, Student Apts, and the dorm formerly known as Faculty Apts still need names. Throw Byrum on one of those then.

Thought that was now Angelou or Collins for the #OldBalls. Hate to break this to you, Biff, but North is now Martin.

I guess Polo, Student Apts, and the dorm formerly known as Faculty Apts still need names. Throw Byrum on one of those then.

I was in it three weeks ago and it was South. Angelou is on the other side of Collins. I lived in Collins when it was named South. Martin was built after I graduated. Never heard of Martin.

I was in it three weeks ago and it was South. Angelou is on the other side of Collins. I lived in Collins when it was named South. Martin was built after I graduated. Never heard of Martin.

It's time for your $10M gift to the Biff Tannen Heavy Petting Fuck Palace.

Isn't that what they call Student Apartments ?

My relationship with Residence Life & Housing is still on rocky footing.

i think the reason there isn't a building named after him* is that he didn't want a building named after him. His giving overwhelmingly went to scholarships, not to bricks and mortar.

*other than the welcome center, natch

Last edited:
Isn't that what they call Student Apartments ?

My relationship with Residence Life & Housing is still on rocky footing.

You wake up ass naked in a freshman dorm as a 40 year old 3-4 times, and everyone's all "you have a problem", "the authorities have been contacted", "we need you to stop doing this". Buncha snowflakes.

I really want to not be cynical about this but can't help thinking that no matter how you earmark your gift it's not actually going to create more scholarships or fund new educational/research facilities but ultimately just fund new administrative positions and build non-academic stuff. Yes, there will be named scholarships now but is MSD just going to move money that previously went to scholarships over to the budget for an assistant VP of campus wellness?

Sounds good.

Hopefully one of them this past weekend had some official-looking "Ayo Residence Hall" signs hanging.

I really want to not be cynical about this but can't help thinking that no matter how you earmark your gift it's not actually going to create more scholarships or fund new educational/research facilities but ultimately just fund new administrative positions and build non-academic stuff. Yes, there will be named scholarships now but is MSD just going to move money that previously went to scholarships over to the budget for an assistant VP of campus wellness?

No. They will go to pay tuition for people. You should direct your argument at how tuition is being used. They will still allow more kids to go to Wake the couldn't otherwise. That's great for Wake.

I hope wfu says thanks but there's probs much better pro humanitate ways to gift that money. No hate though, I'd buy a yacht and push brand new cars off the back for fun so you do you rich fella!

I hope wfu says thanks but there's probs much better pro humanitate ways to gift that money. No hate though, I'd buy a yacht and push brand new cars off the back for fun so you do you rich fella!

Well, he's dead, so...

Back