• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Sports Psychology

tigerswood

Reaction score
Little “one thought one thread”, but I think this deserves discussion. We have a sports psychology staff. Anyone know how they’re utilized? How they interact with our teams? Do we ever bring in outside “experts” like the cheesy Calipari/Bob Rotella commercial currently airing?

While the mental toughness of a team ultimately falls on the head coach, I’m guessing we’re lacking in our approach to sports psychology compared to most top athletic programs in 2024. Or maybe we’re just cursed I dunno.

Every fanbase in every sport has fans that think this way. I've seen UNC and Kentucky fans write that their bball team needs a sports psychologist. I think it's just what happens when one is hyper-focused on one team or school. I know what some will say - "but it's different, Wake really is that cursed!" Well, keep in mind that of the ACC schools, Wake has more NCAA national championships than BC, Clemson, GT, Louisville, NC State, Pitt, and VT, and more than GT, Louisville, State, and VT combined.

Maybe we could have the Field Hockey teams from the early 90’s come and give a pep talk to the current revenue sports teams

Sports psychologists or general psychiatrists are only helpful if the person/people are willing to hear them out and willing to take their advice. With the current group, I don’t see 100% buy in. Not saying that they are at each other’s throats, but more of an inkling that they’re college age kids who think they know better than others.

Maybe we could have the Field Hockey teams from the early 90’s come and give a pep talk to the current revenue sports teams
I suppose you mean 2000s, not 90s?

Our first #1 national ranking wasn't until 2001 and our national titles were 2002, 2003, and 2004. We were also runner-up in 2006 and 2008.

I suppose you mean 2000s, not 90s?

Our first #1 national ranking wasn't until 2001 and our national titles were 2002, 2003, and 2004. We were also runner-up in 2006 and 2008.

I suppose I do

WF basketball history is top of mind for me. Field hockey, not so much.

Wake Forest’s athletic mental issues are institutional, and generational. There should be a documentary.
Kind of like Virginia Tech’s, a school which has never won a national title.

I just hope our road woes do not start affecting our home games.

"You're playing and you think everything is going fine. Then one thing goes wrong. And then another. And another. You try to fight back, but the harder you fight, the deeper you sink. Until you can't move... you can't breathe... because you're in over your head. Like quicksand. "
Shane Falco said it best. WFU Basketball '23-'24 is the embodiment of "quicksand".

Every fanbase in every sport has fans that think this way. I've seen UNC and Kentucky fans write that their bball team needs a sports psychologist. I think it's just what happens when one is hyper-focused on one team or school. I know what some will say - "but it's different, Wake really is that cursed!" Well, keep in mind that of the ACC schools, Wake has more NCAA national championships than BC, Clemson, GT, Louisville, NC State, Pitt, and VT, and more than GT, Louisville, State, and VT combined.
IDK there’s something there. Look at our NCAA / ACC tournament performance over the last 30 years. We are DFL in the entire country in performing vs. seeding when it matters.

Back