• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Twitter Thread aka Coach Scheier wins the Internet

I see how he harbors the sentiment, and I can't blame him for it.

The Hitler thing is out of control though. Total Godwin's law, indeed.

People seem to forget that small point. It wasn't just Reagan either. There was considerable support for apartheid in this country. Divestment just wasn't sound conservative doctrine. Reagan's overall record on civil rights is particularly poor and a major reason why Republican struggle to gain traction with minorities.

Good article on Reagan's civil rights record:
http://www.thenation.com/article/15...vil-rights-and-south-african-freedom-struggle

While the Hitler reference is simply Godwin's law, the kid is reflecting common sentiment among many Americans. I'm impressed that a guy who was barely born in the Reagan era has any opinion on his presidency.

I was also impressed that he was talking about politics on his twitter.

People seem to forget that small point. It wasn't just Reagan either. There was considerable support for apartheid in this country. Divestment just wasn't sound conservative doctrine. Reagan's overall record on civil rights is particularly poor and a major reason why Republican struggle to gain traction with minorities.

Good article on Reagan's civil rights record:
http://www.thenation.com/article/15...vil-rights-and-south-african-freedom-struggle

While the Hitler reference is simply Godwin's law, the kid is reflecting common sentiment among many Americans. I'm impressed that a guy who was barely born in the Reagan era has any opinion on his presidency.

People forget a lot when it comes to Reagan and race; it's convenient for them. I'd guess a lot of younger people, especially college aged black students examining his policies for the first time, would be shocked into offering up a hyperbole like that, when most mention of Reagan in the mainstream is usually with this nostalgic reverent tone.

Frye's entitled to his opinion. I'm not going to compare Reagan to Hitler, but can see where he's coming from, and I'm guessing Frye has done a lot more recent research into the subject than others who are just brushing it off.

Dude obviously is currently taking a class in Tribble. Not surprising that he is tweeting about Reagan.

People forget a lot when it comes to Reagan and race; it's convenient for them. I'd guess a lot of younger people, especially college aged black students examining his policies for the first time, would be shocked into offering up a hyperbole like that, when most mention of Reagan in the mainstream is usually with this nostalgic reverent tone.

Frye's entitled to his opinion. I'm not going to compare Reagan to Hitler, but can see where he's coming from, and I'm guessing Frye has done a lot more recent research into the subject than others who are just brushing it off.

Yeah, I definitely think it was a shock thing. The idea in 2011 that the president of the United States was openly supportive of apartheid and opposed the Civil Rights Act is pretty shocking to me and I lived through the Reagan era as a child.

Based on the politics board and what I remember from attending Wake only 6 years after Reagan's term ended, Reagan has a lot of support in the Wake community. I'm guessing that most who react so harshly to such comments about Reagan either shared Reagan's support for apartheid, opposition to civil rights legislation and his overall view of race or just don't care about such issues.

Yeah, I definitely think it was a shock thing. The idea in 2011 that the president of the United States was openly supportive of apartheid and opposed the Civil Rights Act is pretty shocking to me and I lived through the Reagan era as a child.

Based on the politics board and what I remember from attending Wake only 6 years after Reagan's term ended, Reagan has a lot of support in the Wake community. I'm guessing that most who react so harshly to such comments about Reagan either shared Reagan's support for apartheid, opposition to civil rights legislation and his overall view of race or just don't care about such issues.

So to react harshly to comparing Ronald Reagan to Adolf Hitler is to support Apartheid, oppose civil rights legislation, or not care about issues? That's about as ignorant as the comparison in the first place. Disgust with Reagan's policies is one thing (and justifiable), but comparing him with Hitler is ludicrous. And to accuse people who say so of being racist is just low.

However misguided the sentiment, props to Alex Frye for thinking about these things. Now, think about the way your thoughts will sound when written down.

The further we get from WWII the more often things are compared to Hitler and Nazis, etc., without regard for how serious (or poor) those comparisons are.

Dude just didn't think through (or doesn't really understand) what he's saying. Poor choice of words, but not worth freaking out about either.

Well said, bdz.

Graduate is awesome. History major doesn't give much solace... almost makes it worse that he said that.

Graduate is awesome. History major doesn't give much solace... almost makes it worse that he said that.

How the hell does your perspective become so skewed that you compare Reagan to Hitler?

I assume you're talking about Alex, not me. I have no idea. I'd feel better about a math major making a comment that's so historically poor. The history major thing just makes it total facepalm

Whatever. We have elected politicians compare each other to Hitler all the time. He is just a college kid who got over-zealous with an unfortunate tweet.

First off I dont know if Alex has graduated or not, but I am pretty sure he lived in Texas at some point this semester. maybe he was training?

Either way, the kid is smart. I actually agree that though the comparison was a little much, I think the fact that he is tweeting about Reagan says something positive about him

Fair enough. I'm not in Winston anymore, so I don't have first hand knowledge. The stuff I read on these boards though seems to point in the opposite direction.

First there was Grobe basically calling him (and others) out for not practicing enough, or feeling entitled, or being soft, or something like that. In truth, I don't know what Grobe's saying sometimes. Nevertheless, soon after that Josh had that tweet about how he wasn't going to practice because it was too cold, and he was worried about his hamstring.

Then there's the most recent tweet on this thread where he calls out Coach Reeves for counting his reps? Makes the comment, "I guess 400+ bench isn't good enough for them." I read that as being similar to the kid in school who refuses to do his homework because he feels like he's too smart for it. But again, I know I'm dealing with twitter here. Hard to take anything seriously.

Anyway, that's how I came to that above thought.

I agree with Texas

Look I wish Josh nothing but the best, but every conversation I have had with him, and many I have had with people around the team indicate that he thinks way too much of himself and is not very teachable.

That being said, he obviously cares about football, his body, and is a freak athlete

When you're not a spoiled rich white kid?

neg rep

Hitler was responsible for the death of millions of innocent people, many of them minorities, and many of them African Americans. Comparing Reagan to Hitler is fucking stupid, no matter what color you are. Using Alex Frye's race, or lack of "rich whiteness" as an excuse for saying something so stupid, is extremely stupid on your part as well.

Last edited:
I don't know which one is worse:
1. OUTRAGE! that someone used a poorly chosen Hitler reference.
2. OUTRAGE! that someone made a gross exaggeration to make a political point.
3. OUTRAGE! that a college kid said something dumb on the internet.

Edit: 4. That somebody NGArepped me with this crap: "An educated black man that states, support Reagan = support apartheid, is setting your race back about as well as Reagan did."

If you support a president who unabashedly supported apartheid despite strong consistent opposition throughout his presidency, that's something you need to reconcile on your own. At the very least it's clear for such a person that Reagan's support for apartheid was not a dealbreaker.

It doesn't take an educated black man to state that supporting a president does imply at least some support for his policies, especially if you still support the guy over 20 years after he left office. It's pretty cowardly of somebody to NGArep me with that offensive crap in private instead of just publicly posting, "I was a big fan of Reagan but felt his stance on apartheid and civil rights was deplorable and I hope my party will work hard to shed that legacy." You're not helping, whoever you are.

Last edited:
Back